Hitch Question when buying a new TV

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Hitch Question when buying a new TV

Post by Chief409 »

When buying a new tow vehicle should the 5er hitch mount stay with the trade in truck, or is worth while to move it to the new truck if it is compatible, as far as the trade in value goes? I haven't checked the Reese site yet for compatibility, I have a 18k hitch, but I saw a '09 F350 FX4 Crew Cab long bed with the Tow Boss package today that I'm REALLY considering. I'm taking Terry over to the dealer tomorrow to look it over. A test drive, with her in the 6 way powered captain chair passenger seat MIGHT seal the deal. :ymdevil:
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Re: Hitch Question when buying a new TV

Post by bigbunkhouse »

It depends if you can do it yourself, it may cost more to have it transfered. If you have the universal bkts under the bed then leave em and buy the custom bkts for the new truck but switch the rails in the bed.

P.s. e-trailer lists the same kit for both trucks
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
PaulandTammy
Cardinal Owners: 2009 362BHLE

Post by PaulandTammy »

When I traded tow vehicles I kept the hitch removed and removed the rails. I bought a new rail kit and brackets and used the old ones to construct a dolly for my hitch to roll it around. It seems to keep getting heavier the older I get.
PaulandTammy

09 362-BHLE
2011 Dodge 3500 CTD DRW
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

What I'm using is a Reese Signature 18K, so there isn't any bed rails, but four pucks flush with the floor of the bed that you attach the hitch to, these puck are part of the under bed hitch and vehicle specific adapters for the frame. Which is the same adapter for both trucks. I've known the guy I'm buying from for years, he said keep all that. The four holes in the bed have no effect on the trade in value, for which he gave me a trade in value of $12,000, reasonable since I didn't have a bed liner, and I dinged the top edge of the tailgate unloading a LARGE post hole auger, plus I did use the F250 to haul dirt, gravel, lumber, etc. So $250 under the Kelly Blue Book for Good with low mileage (36K), which is $12,250 is fair. We're both members of the same Credit Union and he said go there before Ford Credit, more discounts available that way.

Next is the Credit Union tomorrow, then a call to Camping World about the hitch (order new attachment hardware, make an appointment to install the hitch and the wiring) pull out the old hitch and trade keys.

We did drive the F350 today, up the East side of Tehachapi Pass with a 30 mph head wind, at least. Cruise control set at 70, Tow/Haul OFF. The boost never budged according to the gauge, it certainly didn't feel as if it was working hard. Neither does the F250 FX4 with the V10, empty. My '08 F250 4X4 work truck with the 5.4 V8 and a tall shell works hard, like the V10 with the 'Bird attached in the same conditions. On the return we drove down a 2 lane road with a RR X-ing (2 tracks), Great Ride, the extra length of the rear springs DO make a difference. The F250 empty at the speed I crossed that grade crossing at WOULD put you on the ceiling without seat belts! And this is a "Tow Boss" F350 FX4 DRW, diesel, Crew Cab, 8' bed, with 1/2 tank of fuel. It had 7 miles when we started, now it has 47 miles. Terry LOVES IT! I can't wait to head up 395 past Bishop to the Mammoth Lake area with the 'Bird! A 3000' climb in around 10 miles to 7000' or so. The F250 pulled the 'Bird on that grade at 40 - 45 and 3700 RPM (my choice, I could still accelerate to pass, and did). We'll see how the dual turbo chargers work there.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I have moved my Reese 20k between three trucks now even if you pay to have it done it cheaper then buying a whole new hitch.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

I checked the Reese website and found a nearby (60 miles, but this is the Wild West here) Reese dealer who is removing the hitch adapters and mounting pucks, and will be installing the hitch on the new truck. Mainly I was concerned about the four holes in the floor of the bed at trade in and wondering if I should leave the hitch mount installed, and buy the new adapters and mounts, but I always intended to keep this hitch. It turns out the holes didn't have an impact on the trade in value, with no spray in liner and using the truck for hauling gravel, railroad ties, dirt, etc., the dealership dinged me on the trade in there, and said to go ahead and keep everything. Outside of the bed, no dings, parking lot rash or scrapes so I got the "Good" value from the Kelly Blue book.

Thanks for the help!
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

They’ll probably throw in a plastic bed liner and tack an additional $1,000 onto the selling price.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

When I traded keys and did the paperwork, the trade in value had been increased, plus they were pretty sure they had a buyer lined up. I guess it can help when you use the same dealer you bought something from, a little one at that, and get the maintenance for all your vehicles (I have a company F250 which I drive 5K miles every month or so) done there. Which didn't hurt my feelings one little bit!
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret