New F350

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

BL3050

Re: New F350

Post by BL3050 »

Jeff congrats on the new truck. I also have the same truck only whites & silver. The 6.4 tows and screams like a beast only much quiter then the 6.0 diesels. I use to have a 2006 6.0 diesel and I have to admit I miss that classic powerstroke sound. The twin turbos will accelerate very quick and throw you back in your seat and while towing you'll be doing 70 mph in tow and it will feel like your doing 50. Depending on your weight of your Cardinal, you'll need about 9 on your Ford built in brake controller and if you run consistantly at 2300 rpm's at 70 mph while towing expect around 8-9 miles per gallon under tow. My truck has the 4.30 tow boss package and unless I tow at 2100 rpms and that puts me at 65 mph, I haven't seen better then 8.5 mpg. But that's my rear gearing, if you have a 4.10 rear you may get better mpg towing.
Anyway good luck and happy camping. :thumbrt:

Bob
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

The "Beast" has the 4:30 gearing as it has the Tow Boss package. So far on break in runs in the mountains (and 40 mph winds) around here I'm seeing 11 - 12 mpg, empty. The F250 has a V10 and 4:18 gears and I was seeing a bit less mpg then that empty. The real test will be with the "Beast" and the 'Bird together. My favorite, closest KOA is on the other side of a 5400' pass with up to 9% grades. 87 miles one way. We go from 2400' to 5400' to 2400' in that 87 miles. We'll get an idea on mpg then, but I expect to have just over 500 miles on the Beast when we make the trip, so it won't really be run in yet.

Best round trip MPG for the V10 to the KOA, with the 'Bird, 6 mpg with the average winds, 25 mph on the nose.

Best MPG for the Beast - TBD, and we're looking forward to finding out what it will be. :D
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Just got back from getting the hitch installed. The Reese Signature 18K uses the same mount for the F350 as the F250, but hitch and wiring installs are still "pricey".

Of course the first thing I did on returning home was hook everything up to "Check it out". Turn signals turn signal, brake works, battery charge is hooked up (good thing, I didn't have enough juice in the battery to run the jacks) and the 'Bird sits level on the hitch!

I have the power hooked up to the 'Bird to charge the battery, plus I think I'll run out the slides and watch the Indy 500. I think it's tomorrow isn't it? So I better go back out and turn on the refrigerator, I prefer cold beer to warm! ;)

Next weekend we're off to the Lake Isabella KOA, 87 miles one way with a 3000' elevation gain (and loss) up and over a 5400' pass. We can't wait! This is the first of MANY trips with the Beast.

And white F350 Crew Cabs look sooo good with a Cardinal on the hitch! Check out Bob & Lisa's :D
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Torben

Post by Torben »

Jeff do you ever stay at Rivernook? We have stayed there a few times I like the back-in spots on the river and then go up to johnson bridge and fish. I known this has nothing to do about trucks but I was thinking about Kernville.
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Torben wrote:Jeff do you ever stay at Rivernook? We have stayed there a few times I like the back-in spots on the river and then go up to johnson bridge and fish. I known this has nothing to do about trucks but I was thinking about Kernville.
We drove by a year or so ago and looked. It looks nice. We decided on the KOA after the new owners put so much into getting it turned around, and coming over Walker Pass it's the first campground with FHU we come to.

Now if the Corps of Engineers could fix the dam and get some water in the lake. I've been going to Lake Isabella since the early '70's, I've never seen it this low for so long.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:And white F350 Crew Cabs look sooo good with a Cardinal on the hitch! Check out Bob & Lisa's :D
Indeed, and I really like the silver accent.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Made the trip over the hill yesterday. And I received a PLEASENT surprise. 55 mph up a 9% grade at 5000'. And for this leg of the trip the Beast showed 10.1 mpg. Airconditioning full blast, temps in the middle of the operating range, Fantastic! And that's better then the F250 with the V10 averaged on flat ground and no wind.

And everyone is right about not noticing you have a trailer in tow with the F350 Tow Boss. Crosswinds never really bothered the F250 with a 5er, not in comparison to a TT even with a equalizer hitch and anti-sway device. The dually F350, with the 'Bird, is like going to the 5er from a TT was with the F250. or from the Bronco to the F250. 60 -65 mph uphill, down hill, winds, it just goes down the road without a care.

Having more truck then really required is so nice!

And diesel fuel prices around here are running as much as $.30 a gallon less then Regular gas right now! 8) :lol: :D
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

I love this F350 dually 6.4 (401 CID) diesel truck! Keeping the speed around 60 except to pass, using cruise control, and with a pretty stiff headwind for the last half of the trip, from Rosamond to Pleasanton, CA (330 miles) it got over 9 mpg - including going over Tehachapi and Altamont Passes. That's better then the last truck did on flat ground with no wind, and this thing has power to spare! This one is a keeper. It is working way below it max capacity. Besides, by the time it's paid for, I'll be retiring. And, this is the last trailer. Any larger, I can't get into Forest Service campgrounds. And, we survived living in it full time for six months last winter. Snow, below freezing temps, 60 mph wind gusts and rain. :P
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

Sounds like you are one HAPPY CAMPER.
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
MARK33062
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BHLE

Post by MARK33062 »

Welcome to the club of LOW MILEers
Love my F 350 and wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Fuel mileage sucks, but i'm pulling my house. OOPS ? even without the house the MPG sucks.
I've learned from past trucks i've had - This is ONE truck you dont want to MODIFY for any reason. Too many computer sensors that control everything.
Best of luck and most of all HAVE FUN!!!!
MARK & KATHY
2007 - 36-2BHLE
2010 - DODGE/ RAM 3500 HEAVY DUTY Crew Cab 4x4 Dually (6.7) Cummins
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

MARK33062 wrote:Welcome to the club of LOW MILEers
Love my F 350 and wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Fuel mileage sucks, but i'm pulling my house. OOPS ? even without the house the MPG sucks.
I've learned from past trucks i've had - This is ONE truck you dont want to MODIFY for any reason. Too many computer sensors that control everything.
Best of luck and most of all HAVE FUN!!!!
Thanks you guys. I love this thing, and best yet, so does Terry and the Mutt! Empty or with the 'Bird it rides like a "stretch limo". And after looking at the descriptions of the codes that can be read, and considering I went for the Extended Power Train Warranty, I'm not even thinking of any engine or transmission mods (or removing the "diesel cat")! I do want to get a Transfer Flow tank/tool box installed. I think they have a 50 gal version, plus the 38 gal the truck came with, would result in 700+ miles range before I'd need to head for a refill (I try to stay above 1/4 tank on principle as that reduces MY "pucker factor" in a strange area, especially with a trailer on the hitch, looking for a pump).

It has a GREAT stereo system and air conditioner system too! B-)
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
BL3050

Post by BL3050 »

Jeff, just got back last week, went to Myrtle Beach with Diesel Dave and I was pretty happy with the MPG per fill ups. Running at night without the A/C traveling down, my first fill up dividing the miles traveled into the gallons used, not what the lie-o-meter says. I got 9.8-10 MPG pulling our new 3050 RL which is around 35-36 feet long loaded up. Not too bad. Running with the A/C on the entire time till the next fill up in the morning I came in at 8.9 MPG. Dave and I ran pretty consistant at 65 MPH going to Myrtle Beach, using cruise when we could.
Anyway, your right, this new truck drives like a Cadillac! Smooth and quite, very comfy with the power leather seats, all the goodies. You can be doing 70 mph towing and it feels like your doing 50, holds hills at 65 without any gear shiftings.

I know you'll be happy for many years to come with this set-up.

Oh, went to the scale on the way down fully loaded. Full gas, no wife or kids, they were in the truck stop shop when I went on the scale. Total weight was 24,200+. Your truck loaded like mine will weigh around 9100 lbs. Truck, me, full tank, 18k hitch and sprayed in bedliner. So my trailer alone actually weighs in around 15,100 lbs. The 4.30 gears were the right choice for me, seeing that with 4.10 gears the max a 350 DRW can GCWR is rated at 23,000 lbs.

Good to have the extra capacity.
Enjoy! :D

Bob
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

We have around 4000 miles pulling the 'Bird now and the 6.4 is starting to get broken in. Right now we're in Chula Vista, CA. Getting here we came down Cajon Pass to I215 which involves a few 10% grades. Uphill, downhill, 65 without a problem, including on the grade Banks uses for testing their systems on CA138. I just had to try their test for the new engine braking system, so Tow/Haul, no cruise control and started down the hill at 60. And stayed at 60, a couple of times I had to add throttle to maintain speed.

I don't think the Beast needs any Banks kits. 8)
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret