Trucks

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

lgpconsul

Trucks

Post by lgpconsul »

Just purchased a new Cardinal. Won't be ready to pick up from La Mesa RV in Phoenix, AZ for about 10 days. We're now shopping for the best pick-up to tow this with. I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations.

Larry
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Re: Trucks

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Whatever brand you like, big motor, 1 ton, get er dun!
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Blue oval, white, diesel?
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Welcome to the club Larry. :ymhug: Charles is right. It depends on which bird you bought. Some pull theirs with a ¾ ton while others prefer the extra stability of a larger truck with dual wheels. Some like diesels while others prefer gasers. Whatever you get, get lots of bells & whistles (gives you something to play with while driving). =)) =))
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Me&Margie
Cardinal Owners: '07 31RKLE

Post by Me&Margie »

Our F-250 does a good job hauling our bird around. If you go with a new rig, keep in mind that its recommended you put some miles on it, around 500 or so, before you start towing with it.
Good Luck...............Marv
Marv & Margie
'07 Cardinal 31RKLE
'06 F-250 PSD S/C 4X2, Hijacker, Line-X.
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

Larry,

Congrtulations on the new rig. As others have said, it really depends on the size of the rig. We had a 30 foot 5th wheel and pulled it with a 3/4 ton just fine. Our current rig is a 40+ foot model and I would not dream of towing that behemoth with anything less than our 1 ton tow vehicle. We have a dually but that's probably a personal preference, though I like the added stability. We also town in the Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania areas with the mountain challenges so a 3/4 ton might work terrain if you are in the flatlands. Gas or diesel is another personal prefernece but, again, if you have the bigger rig, I think you will appreciate the diesel. As far as brand goes, well, none of the three are any better than the other and you are probably just as well off by deciding, at least in part, on how good the dealer service is.

That's my 2 cents.

Good luck.

James
jrshuman

Post by jrshuman »

I just picked up a 3450RL from La Mesa about 4 weeks ago. Love it... TV is a 2009 F350 DRW 6.4L with the Boss 4.30 tow package. I couldn't be happier. :D
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

This is why this place is great, no "FLAME" about brand wars just good ole boys and good ole advice, AAAHHHHHHHHHHH what a nice change!

P.S. FORD RULES J/K (but they do) :twisted: :twisted:
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

bigbunkhouse wrote:

P.S. FORD RULES J/K (but they do) :twisted: :twisted:
=)) oh, sorry :oops:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

We have the smallest Cardinal and our 3/4 ton does a great job. We really like the Allison transmission.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
bilmorvn
Location: We're fulltimers and have never been physically to our address in Madison SD! Will get there probably when we renew our DL. Try to stay not too warm or cold. Usually go to Mexico in the winter which we love. Will gladly answer ?s about full timing or Mexico.
Cardinal Owners: Have a 2008 35 SB. Had ordered exactly what we wanted and then had to cancel since they changed floorplans. Wanted the W/D in the bathroom, not bedroom. Have some problems, but we love the layout. Have made many modifications including larger windows in small S/O, furniture, cabinet work, 46" TV.

Post by bilmorvn »

Larry,

Most forums including this one have tons of "opinions" on tow vehicles. Checkout rv.net and escapees.com at least. The big trick is to match all the weight requirements like hitchpin, Gross vehicle weights, etc. Generally car salesmen are worthless, do it yourself. We're maxed out with our 35SB: it works because of the hitchpin weight. Have had duallys and loved them, but enjoyed only buying four tires instead of six when it came time to reshoe Mr. Truck. Also we travel a lot in Mexico and they have higher tolls for duallys plus duallys are prohibited in certain parts of various cities there. We had a crewcab and got an extended cab. Wish we had a crewcab. Enjoy!!!
BillMoRex&Princess
Fulltiming since 8/93
2008 35 SB/ 2006 Chev Duramax
lgpconsul

Post by lgpconsul »

I really appreciate all the feedback I've received on trucks. I bought a 38-footer for full time use, with all the optional amenities, so a BIG truck is in order for me. I'm leaning toward a Chevvy 2500HD Duralux diesel, and as someone suggested, with all the bells and whistles. We're really looking forward to the years ahead of us, and love the ability to communicate with like-minded Cardinal owners. Thanks again for all the input!

Larry :
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Good choice Larry but you might want to look at a 1 ton dually with that kind of weight. What model trailer did you buy?
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Welcome!

I pulled our 30WBLE with a F250 V10 with 4:18 gears all over the West. The trailer weight was within the trucks limits at 12,400#, but I've always wanted a dully after a couple of rear tire failures (without a trailer), which scared the S*** out of me, over the years. I was considering putting "dullys" on my '85 Bronco while pulling a 24' TT. It would of looked cool! I still might, for that matter.

Whatever you get, give yourself some "fudge factor" on the trucks weight capacity. Things just seem to get heavier as they get older! :)
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

full time, absolutely minimun 1 ton dually, ask bruce, and ol bird, they seem to do fine but the 3/4 ton singles will be a constant maintenance headache. They are fine for occasional use but for full time, never be under trucked, we have a 1 ton dually for part time and would not have it any other way. We pulled with a 250 4x4 lifted and it pulled fine and stopped just great but now that we have been tuggin with the big boy we will never go back. So what if ya have to park a few spaces away or buy 2 more tires every 5 years, the stability and security is amazing and it will far outweigh the negatives in longevity and safety.