Smog Inspections for CA Diesels

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Smog Inspections for CA Diesels

Post by Chief409 »

From Gary Richards, "Mr. Roadshow" in the San Jose Mercury News, talking about smog inspections, and vehicles emitting visible smoke in good 'ol California, I inserted the underline:

"A No heavy-duty diesel vehicle should be operating with heavy black smoke. An old bus could emit some dark smoke, but only momentarily. Any cop can cite vehicles for visible smoke emissions, or you can report plate numbers to the state at 1-800-END-SMOG. Diesel is much cleaner these days, containing 97 percent less sulfur than old diesel. Starting in April, diesel vehicles under 14,000 pounds built in 1998 and later will undergo a smog test."
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Re: Smog Inspections for CA Diesels

Post by Traveler II »

How much will the test cost?
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Bird Hauler

Post by Bird Hauler »

My 2002 Ford smokes under load, has always smoked under load and will probably always smoke under load, especially when it downshifts. Often heavily for a moment or two. It's a CA diesel truck that never came with a cat installed and was CA legal when new. I don't think there is any way to stop it from emitting a certain amount of smoke under load. Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel hasn't made any difference. It's going to be awfully hard for them to make you fix what ain't broke.

How do they plan to deal with that?

Larry
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

How long is "momentarily" ? A second; five seconds. Seems the law leaves it up to the officer and his/her opinion. Mine omitted a “momentary” puff of smoke as I was accelerating onto to the highway yesterday and I wasn’t pulling the bird. Then of course there are all the people who have nothing better to do but report all the diesel vehicles they see. :ymcowboy:
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Here it is from the horse's a..., I mean mouth. :o

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/0 ... rkInf.html

Note one thing in particular: "downloading and reading". From other forums I gather that alot of aftermarket products require that you verify that you understand it's use is for "off road only". Also California has a list of "approved products". My, my. What ever happened to the happy land of street rods, Headman headers and Edelbrock carbs. :cry: I bought a replacement, "smog approved" Holly from NAPA for my Bronco. Correct model, but the part number wasn't on the list for use on the 5.8 Bronco. Guess what. :evil: Good thing this was a "pre-Smog" check.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.