Chev 6.6 duramax repair

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

surveyman

Chev 6.6 duramax repair

Post by surveyman »

We have an 06 with only 32000 miles and for the second time I am having leaks, looks like tranny fluid sort of. The first time it leaked is was the transmission line that runs to the radiator, they replaced all the lines, the compression fittings fail. This time I can't find where the leak is coming from. I need to call the dealer ASAP and get the truck in, warranty expires in about a week if I remember right. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Other than that, LOVE the truck
The-Bear
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS31RL. a.k.a. Cardinal 29WB LX

Re: Chev 6.6 duramax repair

Post by The-Bear »

2004 Sierra w/ 96,000 miles now. The only engine/drive-train related problem I've had was a dead engine temperature sending unit. My temp. gauge wound itself around almost back to the start -- but the engine hadn't even warmed up. Otherwise no engine or transmission related problems at all.
Woody & Sandy
2005 Americana GS 31RL

a.k.a. Cardinal 29WBLX
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Not at this time have them really check it over each time I go in for a oil change. Like you said get it to the dealer asap let us know what they found.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
surveyman

Post by surveyman »

Well the truck went in today and they replace the fuel sensor and fuel filter. It was leaking and kind of spraying fuel around and some of it got on the top of the skid pan for the front axle. When the engine oil is changed on that motor it is difficult not to have some of the engine oil drip onto that pan (I changed it myself, that's what the problem is) and just kind of sit there. When then fuel dripped onto the pan it mixed with the old engine oil, dripped on the floor and made a mess. Nothing serious at lest except a serious $235 dent in my wallet to fix it. They say the reason the sensor leaked was because I used an after market fuel filter the last time I changed it, a Fram. The threads were messed up alittle, so they say. I find it a bit difficult to beleave it never leaked the first 9000 miles that filter was on. Because it was not a GM filter and this was considered maintainance GM would not cover the cost. I didn't vote for Obama the last time and I surely won't vote for him in the next election, Mr. GM was rough on me!! LOL :)) :)) It was time for a new filter anyway and now its good to go again.

The dealership had a new black Camaro there, they are really a sharp looking car. If I had $28000 of spending change sitting around I'd go for a test ride and maybe buy one of those. It could become a collector if Mr. Obama Motors decides to cut models to become profitable.
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Speaking of that fuel sensor; had a dealership change my filter once. Seems that the tech that replaced the filter used a pair of channel locks to tighten the sensor. When he did he cracked the sensor which caused the truck to be hard starting because the fuel system was loosing it prime. When I had it repaired (by another dealership) the tech told me that GM makes the sensors with a weak point in the threads which is suppose to prevent over tightening when replacing the filter. Cost me around $250 to replace the filter and sensor. Since then I do it myself.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch