Dodge 3500

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Dodge 3500

Post by Shields »

Contemplating a new Dodge 3500, Cummins, with wide hips. We currently have an '03 Dodge 200 with the Cummins. Has anyone owned both that can give me a good description of the differences I will see?
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
snoking

Re: Dodge 3500

Post by snoking »

Lets see, more stability towing with training wheels, a much better auto tranny with a gear for any hill, gobs of power, quiet, factory exhaust brake, maybe good buys right now, better rear springs than your 2003 2500, a new warranty period and you get to collect your own emissions and poop them out only every so many miles down the highway.

Maybe slightly less MPG. Bugs are getting worked out of the new 6.7.

If you can afford it, want is holding you back? Life is short! Enjoy it! I would have one if I could afford it!

Chris
CaptainSkidmark

Post by CaptainSkidmark »

I just traded an 05 2500 double cab 4X4 for an 09 megacab dually. I used to think the 2500 was and good truck and still is, but it is no comparison to the new Megacab DRW. It's true that I liked the 5.9 motor,which I used the superchip programmer set in the tow haul mode, mixed with 4.10 gears made one hard pulling truck. New truck has 3.73 gears and six speed transmission that makes going up grades so easy. The DRW's help keep the truck's back end from wandering when the camper rocks left and right. I can honestly say that both trucks are fantastic, but with pulling a camper of the size I own, the DWRis the only way to go. JMHO
Shields

Post by Shields »

That is a reaffirming opinion for me, Mr. Skidmark. Making our decision on Tuesday and always have the doubt that extra $$$$$$$$$$ won't produce much benefit.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
Dorr, Michigan
Shields

Post by Shields »

Well, we pulled the switch today and went for the 3500 dually by Dodgem. White, Laramie package, long bed. It is only money......
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
Dorr, Michigan
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Shields wrote:Well, we pulled the switch today and went for the 3500 dually by Dodgem. White, Laramie package, long bed. It is only money......
Congrats and don't forget to change your signature line, welcome to the bigger block Cummins club!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
CaptainSkidmark

Wooty Woot! Bet you can't wait until you can pull it down the road. Ain't nothin like the sound of the ole six pack rumble...sorry Oval and Dura guys, but the V8's sound is like a Metric bike trying to imitate a good Harley Sound. =))
Peace brothers..... I 'm having fun.
PaulandTammy
Cardinal Owners: 2009 362BHLE

Post by PaulandTammy »

Cummins is a great engine. I think most GM, Ford(diesel and ugh gassers)and Freightliner :thumbrt: owners would agree. Its the Dodge thing that most non-mopar types find to be the deal breaker. I have had two Dodge/Cummins after owning nothing but GM and one Ford which soured me for life on all blue oval products.
PaulandTammy

09 362-BHLE
2011 Dodge 3500 CTD DRW
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

Sounds like a nice truck Al!! :thumbrt: How long before you hook it up to the 5R?
Bill
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Congratulation on the new truck Cummins is a great engine, I have owned 5 of them.

Metric bike trying to imitate a good Harley Sound. :roll:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
mikenmarge

Post by mikenmarge »

We've owned 3 GM trucks and now have a Ford F350 4 x 4 with SRW's. We just don't like the width of the dualies for parking, etc. Our pin weight is really heavy on the 33TS LX. It's over 2800 lbs and neither Dodge nor GM had a SRW to handle the weight (per their specs). We also didn't want a long bed. So that left only the Ford. We actually got out the Towing Guide and had one of the dealers look over the hitch weight calcs with us and they also said the Ford was the only one that could tow it without going to a dually. We didn't think we'd like the Ford after 3 GM's, but we like it. We get 10-11 towing the Bird and it weighs about 13,000 lbs. We've always liked the looks of the Dodge, but only their dually was rated to handle the pin weight. So we don't regret the Ford. (This was in 2006) Marge
snoking

Post by snoking »

PaulandTammy wrote:Cummins is a great engine. I think most GM, Ford(diesel and ugh gassers)and Freightliner :thumbrt: owners would agree. Its the Dodge thing that most non-mopar types find to be the deal breaker. I have had two Dodge/Cummins after owning nothing but GM and one Ford which soured me for life on all blue oval products.
Hey Ford is probably building the best American car's and small SUV's on the road today. If they could just figure out a good post 7.3 diesel, life would be good with the blue oval. Remove the cab from the chassis to service the engine????? Who's nightmare engineering came up with that.

Chris
mikenmarge

Post by mikenmarge »

All 3 brands have their good points and not so good points. Some people had issues with the engine we have, but so far, we have had no issues. (I shouldn't have said that since we are going on a 3000+ mile trip in 4 weeks.) We fought going with Ford and looked and looked and read and read. It's the only shortbed single rear 1 ton with the tongue weight capacity that we needed. (At least it was in 2006) Everyone has their favorites. We loved the Allison transmissions, so we really liked the GM's. The Ford feels much heavier than our GMC did. It's a little nosier too, but not much. We are happy with the Ford though.
Marge
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

snoking wrote:Remove the cab from the chassis to service the engine????? Who's nightmare engineering came up with that.

Chris
It's my understanding that Ford mechanics have been doing it for years so Ford designed the new trucks with convenient disconnects to make the process easier.

Rob
CaptainSkidmark

One option that Ford has on there trucks that I dearly miss on the Dodge is the disconnecting front hubs for 4x4's. This alone can contribute up to a 1-2 mile per gallon gain. But then again, we can't have everything. :-?