Dodge 3500

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Re: Dodge 3500

Post by Shields »

Hooked up the new 3500 to the Cardinal to tow it over to the warehouse for power washing. Now I am anxious for the road, it tows so easy and effortless with that vehicle. But I have to be patient. Work has to come first to pay for that thing.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
FredRog72

Post by FredRog72 »

Hello all. I am new to the site. I too purchased a 2009 3500 and I tow a 33TBHLE redbird. I finally had the chance to pull it throught the north Georgia mountains this past weekend and this truck is awesome. I switched from a 2006 F250 with lots of upgrades and an unbelievably gorgeous truck with more mechanical issues in 70k miles than i care to remember. The engine brake on the Dodge is effortless on the downhill runs and after one good long tow can't remember how I survived without it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can avoid major mechanical issues with this one but as far as towing goes, no comparison so far without any upgrades at all. I have to get a picture of my new tow toy pulling the bird so I can post like the rest of you cool guys and gals.
Shields

Post by Shields »

Good to hear the praise. I am anxious to try ours out, which will happen in a couple of weeks. If the repair record is like my 2500 Dodge, you should have no problems. In 104k the only problem was the front drive shaft becuz they were to lazy to put in a greaseable carrier bearing. Now they do, I think. And I like the no add-on feature of pac brakes, etc.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
Dorr, Michigan
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

Post by rosey »

A Diesel Dually is the only way to go if you're gonna tow a large heavy 5er. DW & I love our 07 Silverado Classic Dually.
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

rosey wrote:A Diesel Dually is the only way to go if you're gonna tow a large heavy 5er. DW & I love our 07 Silverado Classic Dually.
HERE! HERE!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
CaptainSkidmark

Post by CaptainSkidmark »

Al, how are you enjoying the new truck now that you had time to get the new off of it? I'm still loving mine so far and the truck is up to 15.4 mpg hand calculated. The only thing I miss is the 4:10 gearing of the last truck, but the dwr rules with my big azz camper. :D
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

rosey wrote:A Diesel Dually is the only way to go if you're gonna tow a large heavy 5er. DW & I love our 07 Silverado Classic Dually.
What about our lonely gasser Dually? We love it tooo, and it is a lowly 99 low powered 2 valve, but it getz er dun :thumbrt:
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Shields

Post by Shields »

I like it, but I have not towed with it yet, only 950 miles on it, but I am getting about 14 mpg right now. Easy driving though. The weather in Michigan has been crappy and just didn't feel like camping in November type weather. Trying to talk my wife into a southern trip somewhere this winter.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
Dorr, Michigan
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Come on down for Fredericksburg in April! Texas is big so plenty of space left!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
CaptainSkidmark

Post by CaptainSkidmark »

Lol I just look at your signature and saw where you live. I can understand you not wanting to pull during the winter time. So far, the only thing I have found that I dislike is the turning radius of the megacab compared to the old truck. Parking can be an issue, but I park way out and have learned to walk...I don't get door dings this way. :thumbrt:
Shields

Post by Shields »

Pulling in November is ok, in fact 2 years ago we were camping in Colorado foothills in December and came home in December.
Just need a good propane burner
BUt now November and we hit 72 today. In the whole month of October we could not reach 70.
Everyone is coming to visithere for the holidays, so I guess if we head south it will have to be in January or February.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
Dorr, Michigan