Performance Chip programmers

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

haulin Shamu

Performance Chip programmers

Post by haulin Shamu »

Has anyone out there used the Hypertech chip programmer? I am looking to get one for my 2004 Dodge 3500 SRW and before I spend that kind of money I want to know more about it (user friendly, performance increase, mileage increase, bad side effects, etc).

Thank you in advance,

Bob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: Performance Chip programmers

Post by Mike Clay »

Do you have an auto? If so be careful I have said it many times since I have been there myself "for every action there is a reaction" I have owned 5 CTD put stage 1 injectors in the one that was an auto all was fine until I hooked the 5er behind it and there went 2k for a tranny upgrade. On one of my 6 speeds put stage 3 injectors and a edge ez on it yep southbend cono fe clutch was next then I had a friend that made me a 4 low kit that would not lock in the front end so I could back up since there was no slipping the clutch without rattling the doors off the truck. I know many run with fueling and timing boxes and alls I am saying is be careful.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

Just like Mike said, if you "chip it" you WILL find the weak point. I have used the chips in Ford 7.3 diesels, the only one that did not cause trans and torque converter problems was the standard shift F350. They advertise fuel milage gain but I never saw any, but if you are looking for power and you use it how could you get better milage? I would not recomend any engine mods for anyone that hauls a heavy load. I will say that the large exaust and intake mods did not accomplish anything other than lightening my wallett, but not enough to help my fuel milage.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
surveyman

Post by surveyman »

I agree with the comments, don't chip it! I HAD a Ford 7.3, spent a lot of money and time installing chips, air intake, exhaust and in the end the truck was not that much better. In fact within weeks I had nothing but computer problems and the tranny shifting was never right. The dealer had to re-burn the computer. I set it back to stock and sold the trunk, I was that disappointed!
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

Well, jeez, I missed out on all the fun.
I chipped my 5.9L CTD, I did notice a mileage increase ( a whopping 1 mpg) and better mid RPM torque. I really enjoyed it on light to medium loads on flat ground. However, in the hills (like the Rockies), I had to set it to stock because the turbo temp shot too high and not wanting to burn out #6 cylinder I did not exceed 1250 degrees where the factory limit is. And, after they replaced my fuel pump (warranty issue with that model) and put it in the fuel tank I noticed not much gain from the Bully Dog. Now that I have the 2009 CTD with the bigger engine, I will not attempt to chip it. Enough power there to do the Rockies already and obviously I am not worrying about mileage now.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
snoking

Post by snoking »

Check on the Smarty for your Dodge. Hypertech is not one of the main line upgrades for a Dodge/Cummins. Have you been to the Turbo Diesel Register site? Lots of info there. Although the 48RE is slightly better than the 47Re in the 2nd gen trucks, too much power will do it in also.

Remember that you become your own warranty station!

Chris
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

Past that stage now, over 100k

New CTD, 2009, doesn't need a chip
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

I was thinking of adding a chip, but after reading this I think I best leave things just as they are.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

If you want a truck that is really fun to drive then use a programmer and return to stock when towing. These things will fly when empty and using a chip and doesn't seem to hurt thrm when running empty. They are a Hot Rod.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW