Walmart Oil Change

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

bilmorvn
Location: We're fulltimers and have never been physically to our address in Madison SD! Will get there probably when we renew our DL. Try to stay not too warm or cold. Usually go to Mexico in the winter which we love. Will gladly answer ?s about full timing or Mexico.
Cardinal Owners: Have a 2008 35 SB. Had ordered exactly what we wanted and then had to cancel since they changed floorplans. Wanted the W/D in the bathroom, not bedroom. Have some problems, but we love the layout. Have made many modifications including larger windows in small S/O, furniture, cabinet work, 46" TV.

Walmart Oil Change

Post by bilmorvn »

Had Walmart in Sumter SC change the oil. No one else in the shop, so no hurry on the shop folks. Drove back to the CG in the rain. I almost always check the filter to see that it is not leaking, but it was raining, so didn't. Left the next a.m. for Warner-Robbins GA where we would get some work done at CampingWorld. Luckily, the day before we were to leave, they swept the CG roads and when I walked the dogs, noticed all these oil spots heading to our site. Short story was that we had less than two quarts of oil left in the engine as the filter was leaking. Luckily I had purchased three gallons of oil at the time of the oil change. Couldn't get the filter to stop leaking. Put in two gallons of oil and headed to the nearest Walmart. Couldn't yell at them, but let them know how unhappy I was and what could they do to help. Have to say that they were great. Immediately let me know that they would correct the situation at no charge; did another oil change with a new filter; replaced the two gallons of oil I put in and cleaned the oil from beneath the truck. Lesson is that if you don't check the filter, it probably won't leak, but if it does, you can prevent a potential disaster or at least a mess.
BillMoRex&Princess
Fulltiming since 8/93
2008 35 SB/ 2006 Chev Duramax
snoking

Re: Walmart Oil Change

Post by snoking »

Last year when I got here to Arizona, I went next door to a oil change place with my oil and Fleetguard filter. They let me hang around while they worked on it. I asked the young man if he had checked for the old seal coming off with the filter as he was reaching up to spin the new one on. Well he looked again and found the old seal stuck on the engine. They did not charge me the fee to change the oil!!!

If you are going to have someone else change your oil, ask to watch, see the old filter with seal etc.

Chris
RV4Gene
Cardinal Owners: 2006 29RKLE

Post by RV4Gene »

Ohhhhhhhh!!!!! Don't EVEN get me started on this one! We had ours changed at the WM in Elkhart when we went to pick up the bird. The kid tried to remove the filter, incorrectly, and then cross-threaded it. Then said it was that way when we pulled in. So they "couldn't change the oil for us". Cause they couldn't get the filter off. We coasted into the parking lot from the bay and sat there in the blazing sun for an hour waiting for a tow truck to take us to the Dodge dealer 30 minutes away (where WM directed us...we later discovered there was one 4 Blocks away!). Anyway, when the tow truck got there, the manager of automotive came rushing out and ordered us not to start the truck up...we had to, to change the gears....oil went EVERYWHERE!!! And he had told us we could Drive it to the dealer!
We filed a complaint and tried to get the money for repairs from WM but they determined that it wasn't their fault...it was the fault of whoever put on the filter.....Merv. And, he has been changing oil and filters for mannnnnnnny years (his dad was a mechanic...on B-17's and cars) and Merv had never once over-tightened or cross-threaded a filter...very careful about that.

See, I told you I shouldn't have gotten started...I forgive you if you didn't read this whole rant :lol:
Merv & Lynn
2006 Cardinal 29RKLE
2003 Dodge Diesel 4x4

nights camped 2010: 126
nights camped 2011: 76
Bob Kennedy
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 31RK LE

Post by Bob Kennedy »

I have had the same trouble with WM. They put the oil filter on loose. The filter was dripping when I got home. I tightened it myself. I told WM the next time I went in. They did not seem to concerned.
Bob and Linda
2008 Cardinal 31RK LE
Towed by 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 SB 4x4
Daisy and Minnie (Miniature Schnauzers)
Tim

Post by Tim »

Happened to me once, haven't gone back to WM.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I worked for Wal Mart for a time after I retired from the Navy. One of the stores ended up having to replace a few engines because of botched oil changes (didn't tighten the drain plug and you can guess what happened). Plus I've had problems with transmission fluid leaks after having the transmission filter changed, cross-threaded drain pan plugs and oil filters leaking after using Jiffy Lube. After all that, I go to the dealer for maintenance now.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Jash
Cardinal Owners: John and Regina
2008 30 RKLE
2008 Chev LT DRW Diesel
JohnDeere 4710
CanAm 650 Mine
Forman 400 Hers

Post by Jash »

Thank god I can still do my own maintenance. I did have the issue with a new chev van, they had paint on the gasket and it stuck when I removed the filter. Made quite a mess but I caught it before it was to bad. I alway check the gasket/oring now when I change my oil.
John and Regina
Retired, USCG
2008 30RKLE
2008 Chev DRW
Nights camped in 2011 120 days
Nights camped in 2012 160
Nights camped in 2013 134
Nights camped in 2014 160
Nights camped in 2015 160
Nights camped in 2016 160
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

I agree with Jash, I do my own. Cheaper and I know its done right. I know that for some it may be a hassle but, better than dealing with dumb stuff or blown engine.

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

rpfan wrote:I agree with Jash, I do my own. Cheaper and I know its done right. I know that for some it may be a hassle but, better than dealing with dumb stuff or blown engine.

Rich
Wish I still could change my own, but full-timing I have no where to do it. Besides I have not found a drain pan to hold the 6 gallons of oil from the 8.3 Cummins, so it's off to the dealer once a year for me. :ymcowboy:
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Post by markj »

I've always changed my oil. And in the Ford PSD, it's very easy with the top mounted filter--QUESTION::::

Has anyone changed their oil in a campground? I carry all my own supplies, spill NO oil, so I thought I could do it when I need to some day. So far I've been able to change it in relatives yards, but that may change.

Anyone done it?
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

markj wrote:Has anyone changed their oil in a campground? I carry all my own supplies, spill NO oil, so I thought I could do it when I need to some day. So far I've been able to change it in relatives yards, but that may change.

Anyone done it?
Mark that's why I said "as a full-timer" I can not do my own. Very few campgrounds allow any kind of vehicle maintenance on site, I have seen a few but they are far apart and hard to find. Those few will have a designated area for it. After traveling/full-timing for over 3 years I think I could count on one hand the number that do allow it from the hundreds of campgrounds we've been.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

I've never tried this but has anyone ever asked a place like AutoZone? If you purchase the oil from them maybe they'll let you change it in the parking lot (ask first). And most recycle oil so you have a place to drop off the old oil.
Just a suggestion. :-?
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
walmor
Cardinal Owners: 2007 29RKLE

Post by walmor »

My question is "WHY WOULD ANYONE GO TO WALMART FOR AN OIL CHANGE". They are only good for PARKING IN THEIR LOTS or small house hold products like toothpaste. Take it to one of those many Lube and Oil places that specializes in oil changes. They start the vehicle and run it and check for leaks before it leaves the building.
My two cents
Walt
Wally and Linda Morton
2007 29RKLE
2004.5 Dodge QC 2500
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

walmor wrote:My question is "WHY WOULD ANYONE GO TO WALMART FOR AN OIL CHANGE". They are only good for PARKING IN THEIR LOTS or small house hold products like toothpaste. Take it to one of those many Lube and Oil places that specializes in oil changes. They start the vehicle and run it and check for leaks before it leaves the building.
My two cents
Walt
With the experience with fleet leased vehicles that I've used at work when the prior drivers used the drive thru lube maintenance, DON'T. The drive thru outlets miss key lube points, and don't keep up on recalls. Plus the level of training of the mechanics is uneven, at best. With the cost of a new tow vehicle, saving a couple of dollars on a oil change in the short term, does not balance the cost of repairs due to the lack of knowledge or care you get at a drive thru oil change/lube outlet vs going to a dealers shop.

Go to the dealer, get it done correctly and have peace of mind - even if something happens you can point at the factories designated repair station and say "What the ..."

I've been issued more then one work truck with 80K miles that had the bare minimum maintenance done, and they were falling apart when I got the keys. And I saw many thousands of dollars spent to fix them so even a smog inspection could be passed. Currently I'm driving a 2008 that I picked up off the car hauler. It now has over 82k miles (35,800 miles last year), on road, off road, rock crawling, etc. All maintenance (every 5k miles) has been preformed at a factory dealers shop. Except for a battery which had a cell short out, it is just as good as new. Even the door seals don't leak on a extended cab, but of course it is a Ford. :wink:
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:Go to the dealer, get it done correctly and have peace of mind
I'll second that! :thumbrt: My truck goes to our local Ford dealer of all it's services and of course they use all the Ford recommended products and it's less expensive than the quickly lubes where I take my company van.

Rob