Aftermarket programmers / monitoring systems

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

stevesmith
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3804BH

Re: Aftermarket programmers / monitoring systems

Post by stevesmith »

WVcampers wrote:I like the exaust brake addition if you have the manual transmission, but if you the automatic I am not sure that it is much improvement over what you have now. As far as progammers "been there done that", even had the T shirt. Won't do it again. With the competition for sales of diesel trucks I believe that the manufactures are getting everything they can out of them without sacrificing dependability. ( I must be getting old ).
There is a Buffett quote in there somewhere.

I have have a Superchips microtuner in mine using the tow mode. Truck just feels dead without it. I'm not looking to be the first to the top but the chip keeps the tranny from constantly shifting. I also don't feel like I'm matting it all the time. Fuel milage was increased slightly as well. With all that said, If i was going to install a new system it would be a monitoring system that auto reduces "boost" if temps get to high. I have a friend that once had and edge and really liked it. He changed to a newer chevy L-) and he like it without programing. I denfinitly would not put anything on the 6.0
Steve & Rebecca Smith
2000 F350 DRW 7.3L D
2009 Cardinal 3804 BH
B&W hitch w/ 5th Wheel Companion
Ride Rite Firestone Air Bags (Rear)
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

stevesmith wrote:
WVcampers wrote: I have a friend that once had and edge and really liked it. He changed to a newer chevy L-) and he like it without programing.
:-@ He's not a L-) Chevy trucks do not need any programers :thumbrt: :D :p

This is what I use in mine Edge Insight no chip just monitors anything the truck computer does plus it will clear codes if needed.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
PapaJoel55
Cardinal Owners: 30QSBLE

Post by PapaJoel55 »

Gotta LOVE those Chevys rite mike i know i do!
Joel
Joel and Toni
2008 30QSBLE
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

rpfan wrote:Just my 2 cents. I would NEVER chip a 6.0. Mine has been bone stock all its life and I have 18 (maybe more) bad fuel injectors, hi volume oil pump, 3 EGR valves and 1 inter cooler. :ymsick: I have been lucky with the head gaskets so far. I feel it is just asking for trouble.

Rich

When my not chipped 6.0 blew the intercooler the Ford dealer said it was a rare thing to happen. Now I am not so sure. /:)
The first thing I noticed when I looked at the Dodge is the intercooler is a welded unit, no gaskets or plastic ends. :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

Just as an FYI. Ford says to change oil every 5K miles, fuel filters @ 20K.

I change my oil every 3K miles and fuel filters (all 3) every 6 K miles. I have using the same fuel station 85% of the time for all 4 of my diesels.
I think that they are a poor design and Ford just replaces them untill you are out of warranty and then they cost $580 each plus labor.

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
lilsumo

Post by lilsumo »

18 injectors? Dam you need to change something. The problems with the 6.0 was never the injectors. In the early 03 to mid 04 6.0, were the only problems child's really, the HPOP was a bad design and the EGR cooler would clog and melt the truck. The other problem was head gaskets and that was brought on by Navistar removing head bolts from the engine. The 7.3 had 16 head bolts per side and the 6.0 only has 12. So if you have a 6.0 PSD and plan to keep it for a long time, then you will need to spend some money on it to make it bulletproof.

1. Change the head bolts to ARP head studs. That is the biggest and,IMO, the single most important upgrade you should do. The stock head bolts are torque to yield bolts and are junk. The ARP head bolts are stronger and torque to 295 foot pounds.

2. If yours is a 03 to mid 04 and while you have the engine out to do head gaskets and studs, do the mods to the HPOP. Basically you have to replace it with a newer style and do a few more little mods to it.

3. Block off the EGR system.

You always run synthetic oil in your 6.0 PSD and really pay close attention to where you buy your fuel.
The PSD's from Navistar are a European design. When they designed the 6.0 injector(engine) it was based on European fuel. European fuel is a 1000's time cleaner than ours when the engine hit the US market. So if you are having to change out 18 injectors. You really need to find the problem cause I'd bet my farm it's not the injectors. If you brought it to me and told me that, I'd start by cleaning out the whole fuel system, that includes the tank, and oil system. Then check the injector harness as it had a issue of chaffing in some models. Make sure you have good air/oil filtration cause dirty oil is as bad as dirty fuel.

I just hate it when people bad mouth the engine, cause it is a fantastic platform. It does have it's weak links, but with a few mods you have a engine that can easily go 300k or more. After the early run of problems, of the 05 up 6.0 had the lowest rate of warranty claims.

I think they rushed the engine into production, they had to cause of the emission laws, but Dam I wish they would of waited and brought it out bulletproof like the 7.3.
lilsumo

Post by lilsumo »

Opps got side tracked.

I prefer manual gauges over those electronic monitors. The EM can fail and really only see what the PCM sees. Gauges actually tell you whats going on, and you can chip a 6.0 and be just fine. Up to 21 MPG with some tunes.

I use www.dp-tuner.com for all my aftermarket tunes. The decelerate tune for the 7.3 is out standing. It uses the EBPV as a exhaust brake and only cost 50 bucks.
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

Fuel system and complete oil system clead and flushed 3 times now. Injector harness was replaced. Truck is an 05. I am not the only one in my area with this problem. I am not bashing the engine, its the injectors that are junk and, Ford/Navistar refuses to change the poor design. I do not run synthetic oil. I have been using Rotella diesel oil since I bought it.
It is now up to 19 and next week it will go back and get the last 2 under a second claim.

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!