Aftermarket programmers / monitoring systems

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Travelers

Aftermarket programmers / monitoring systems

Post by Travelers »

I currently have the SCT hand held programmer with the 3 options; economy, towing and performance. I use the economy mode whenever the 5’er is not hitched. The truck with 5’er hitched works fine in the towlng mode. And yes I did take the head gaskets out pulling up the hill on I75 crossing the Ohio River into Kentucky. I blame that on my ego and Navistar’s poor cylinder head design and manufacturing process.

Fast forward to the upcoming Yellowstone trip. I am looking at the Banks 6 gun iQ system. Not necessarily for the power as I already know that the automatic transmission will be the first weak link. I’m looking at it’s monitoring capabilities. The iQ is designed to allow you to set limits on components you’re monitoring and then internally will adjust the engine parameters to keep within or below those limits. I am also considering an exhaust brake. I not sure on how well the brake will work with the tow command mode of the transmission.

What I am looking for is your experience, thoughts or recommendations. I am not opposed to other system manufacturers. I recently attended a show with all of them in attendance and Banks was the only one willing to take the time to answer my many questions.

Thanks in advance.
RalphKuhn

Re: Aftermarket programmers / monitoring systems

Post by RalphKuhn »

Have you looked at Spartan Diesel Technologies? They build tuners for Powerstrokes exclusively. There is a ton of info on the web if you Google them, and everyone seems to love the Spartan tuner. This is the one I'm leaning towards.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

This is just my thoughts, they have a nice system by Edge that displays all the engine parameters and you can set limits that worn you.
I am one that does not recommend installing any performance chips or equipment because with all the good comes the bad.
I can tell you the dealers know everything ever installed or plugged in from the computer codes given and they will void your warranty.
They can tell what temperatures was reach, how long each shift mode you were in and if you ate lunch that day.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
snoking

Post by snoking »

It is a slippery slope, and you become your own warranty station!!!! No way would I put one on a Powerstroke that is still in warrantly!
Chris
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

I can't speak to the tuners, but, I installed the Banks exhaust brake and Monster exhaust system on my truck last summer. The exhaust brake has a controler that works with the transmission program and is really seamless when slowing down. They install a manual switch for the exhaust brake, but normally it will automatically engage when you let off the accelerator or disengage the cruise control when in the "Tow/Haul" mode. It sure helps when driving in the mountains or other inclines. Banks has a full blown system if you are so inclined, for my truck it would have been about $5500. The exhaust brake was less than $2000 installed at Camping World, but, I got half price installation when I bought it at the Good Sam rally in Albuquerque.
Hope this helps.
Bill
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I have also talked to Banks about the new system they have for the 6.4 Power Stroke. The recommended setting for towing is 4, which is the stock setting. With the PDA option you get monitoring for all the parameters (around $700 more). However with all the smog loaded on the newer diesels, no (well PERHAPS 1 or 2 mpg) improvement in MPG. Which I'm looking for. And I won't find with the smog equipment in place. Which is EPA required now. Bad, bad words here.

All this leads me to believe the latest turbo Navistar diesels used by Ford (6.0/6.4) are already "chipped out" for legal/warranty protected road use. On International trucks they're rated at about half the torque/horsepower as on the Ford's.

I also looked at the Edge monitoring system, I can't justify the cost. It would be neat though.

And the new Banks engine braking system for Ford diesels, well, I run regularly over the route they use to test equipment. With the Beast in Tow/Haul and the 'Bird on the hitch, I have NO problem maintaining the speed I select. And my rig is heavier then theirs. I mentioned this to the Banks rep and his reply was, "uh, locking the torque converter ..."

This is not a knock on Banks or Edge. It's just that Ford has already done with the latest Power Stroke diesels what the aftermarket people are trying to sell you.

I'm waiting to see the figures on the new FORD diesel.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Been there with programers, injectors, large exhaust, intakes you name it with my Dodges and no more for me. "For every action there is a reaction" clutches and auto impaired trannies are not cheap.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
snoking

Post by snoking »

Also if you are going down this slippery slope, there are a lot cheaper and better products than Banks products. Banks stuff is just OK and very pricey for the most part.

Chris
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

I like the exaust brake addition if you have the manual transmission, but if you the automatic I am not sure that it is much improvement over what you have now. As far as progammers "been there done that", even had the T shirt. Won't do it again. With the competition for sales of diesel trucks I believe that the manufactures are getting everything they can out of them without sacrificing dependability. ( I must be getting old ).
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

This thread made me realize that I am getting old. I'm looking to improve the ride and comfort instead of the performance. =)) =)) Never thought that would happen !!!!
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Exhaust Brakes will work with automatics, on the older models you needed a new controller module for torque converter lockup, but I believe the newer ones are plug & play. Just check with the exhaust brake manufacturer. The example I will use is the newer Dodge 6.7 liter engines with autos are coming with Jacobs exhaust brakes from the factory.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Rbird

Post by Rbird »

WVcampers wrote:This thread made me realize that I am getting old. I'm looking to improve the ride and comfort instead of the performance. =)) =)) Never thought that would happen !!!!
I'm with you Randy. I don't need to be the first one to the top of hill, I' m just happy to get there.

Dave
snoking

Post by snoking »

campswithcritters wrote:Exhaust Brakes will work with automatics, on the older models you needed a new controller module for torque converter lockup, but I believe the newer ones are plug & play. Just check with the exhaust brake manufacturer. The example I will use is the newer Dodge 6.7 liter engines with autos are coming with Jacobs exhaust brakes from the factory.
Actually on the 6.7 the exhaust brake is part of the varible turbo configuration, and Jacobs has nothing to do with it. They just slide the varible part until it blocks the exhaust just like an earlier butterfly exhaust brake.

Chris
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

Just my 2 cents. I would NEVER chip a 6.0. Mine has been bone stock all its life and I have 18 (maybe more) bad fuel injectors, hi volume oil pump, 3 EGR valves and 1 inter cooler. :ymsick: I have been lucky with the head gaskets so far. I feel it is just asking for trouble.

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

rpfan wrote:Just my 2 cents. I would NEVER chip a 6.0. Mine has been bone stock all its life and I have 18 (maybe more) bad fuel injectors, hi volume oil pump, 3 EGR valves and 1 inter cooler. :ymsick: I have been lucky with the head gaskets so far. I feel it is just asking for trouble.

Rich
Rich, 18 bad injectors. Wow.

My brother in law has a '07 Dodge with a Cummings. He'd been saving on fuel cost by buying at the discount fuel places and replaced about 6 or 7 injectors before he decided the cost per gallon saved on fuel didn't equal the replacement cost of injectors and filters, plus having the truck in the shop. Since he switched to stations pumping lots of diesel, and names like Shell, Mobile, etc., last year he hasn't had to replace any more injectors. I don't know if he has been running additives or if he has any aftermarket engine accessories, but I doubt it.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.