Adding air bags

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Re: Adding air bags

Post by gmarker »

I installed mine myself. A couple of beers, three busted knuckles and, a few choice words is all it takes. It's a pretty straight forward install. :thumbrt:
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

gmarker wrote:I installed mine myself. A couple of beers, three busted knuckles and, a few choice words is all it takes. It's a pretty straight forward install. :thumbrt:
Boy isnt that the truth after my Dodge I said I would never do it again so what do i do. :-B
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

Installed Air Lift bags and compresser last month. I put the compresser under the rear seat so it took a little extra time. I did it without help and took about 5 hours. With the bags in the rear, the compresser under the back seat, the controller under the dash and the wiring under the hood, I sure got a up close look at a Dodge. :)) :)) I would do it again before I paid someone else to do it.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Big Bird
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250

Post by Big Bird »

Well, I (we) installed the air bags with the help of one of my sons and his youngest son. The installation instructions were good, but they should give a tools needed list. I had to purchase a 3/4 socket and a torque wrench. I had all the other tools, but I have a good selection of tools. The time required to buy was a waste. The install of the bags is very basic and easy. It is best to do this job with two people, but not required.
The compressor and gauge took more time than the bags as I needed to take a portion of the dash apart to put the control and gauger where I wanted them and drill a couple holes. The compressor and gauge are convenient, but not necessary.
Total time about 4 hours.
The bags hold air with no leaks and the 5 pounds minimum air pressure is no problem except the gauge could be more helpful with the 5 pound mark. I do not think it is a big deal, but how difficult would it have been to take that into consideration. To my surprise the 5 pounds went to 20 pounds when I hooked up the trailer. I had to be careful not to over inflate the bags as the bed did turn upward when I inflated to 30 pounds. The ride and stability did not change, but both were good to begin with. I believe the springs will hold up better and longer and that was my hope. The hitch load increases to 5000 pounds and that is a real plus.

Big Bird
Big Bird

Marv and Jackie