Growling Noise in Brake/Drum Area

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

david_iona

Growling Noise in Brake/Drum Area

Post by david_iona »

My 2002 Chev 2500HD has started growling in the right rear brake/drum area when releasing the brake from a slow travel. The sound does not sound like metal grinding but is a low growl. The truck has set a lot lately in the damp weather here in San Antonio Tx while we have been visiting family and today when I started to get ready to hook up the fifth wheel for departure tomorrow the growling has started when I apply then release the brakes. What should I look for before I take this to a service center? I had the brakes checked before we left home last October and they said they were very good at that time and I have not had any problems while towing down to Texas or while driving around here for the last few weeks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
RV4Gene
Cardinal Owners: 2006 29RKLE

Re: Growling Noise in Brake/Drum Area

Post by RV4Gene »

I have absolutely no idea...just wanted to say Hi....will you be making it to Montana again this summer?

Hope what you are hearing is nothing too serious...have a safe journey.

Lynn
Merv & Lynn
2006 Cardinal 29RKLE
2003 Dodge Diesel 4x4

nights camped 2010: 126
nights camped 2011: 76
david_iona

Post by david_iona »

Thanks for the note, we always hope to make it back to Northwest Montana. We love the area and the people, it is one of our most favorite parts of this great country that we enjoy with our RV. We also appreciated the chance to meet you and will try and see you again when we get to St. Regis. I plan to check the truck out today and then have it looked at tomorrow by a service center. We planned to pull out tomorrow but one of the joys about retirement is "no schedule and no agenda" so if we have to wait an extra day then it is just one more day we can visit with the kids.
RV4Gene
Cardinal Owners: 2006 29RKLE

Post by RV4Gene »

Yes, retirement can certainly change your whole frame of mind..lovely isn't it.
We'll hope to see you this summer.
Lynn
Merv & Lynn
2006 Cardinal 29RKLE
2003 Dodge Diesel 4x4

nights camped 2010: 126
nights camped 2011: 76
PokyJoe 48

Post by PokyJoe 48 »

Hi David, That brake rotor may just have a bit of corrosion build up from sitting and if the pads are a little glazed with the combination they may just need to run down the road for a little while and exercised a few times to clean them off. But if that doesn't do it a good shop in the area can take a look at it and have them show you what they find. You can probably peek over their shoulder and see what they see.
Last edited by PokyJoe 48 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

My 99 250 work truck did just about the same thing, turned out the drivers side e-brake was hanging up a tad

good luck
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
david_iona

Post by david_iona »

Thanks for the good advice from ya'll. Yesterday Morning I took the truck to Brake Check, a locally owned company here in the San Antonio area and had them check it out. They are a very good retail shop and I highly recommend them if you ever need service in the San Antonio area. They have several retail shops and are a first class operation. They put my truck on the rack and removed the wheels and drums and the brake pads. They walked me back to the truck and went over each wheel with me. They found everything to be in good shape and recommended no service or repair. They stated what some of you have said that I probably had some minor dust or other debris that caused the unusual sound and sent me on my way. Most shops offer a free brake check but these folks checked it all for free and even called today to see how I was doing and if I was satisfied with their service.
We left San Antonio yesterday and have settled in at Fort Clark Springs in Brackettvile Texas (about 30 miles east of Del Rio) (http://www.fortclark.com/fortclarksprings/index.htm) for a few days before we continue our trip west and eventually home by April. Fort Clark Springs is a former military cavalry base of approx 1800 acres of property privately owned by a homeowners association. Besides the RV Park they have neighborhoods of family housing, mobile housing, RV privately owned lots, some motel rooms, 18 hole golf course, 9 hole par 3 course, 22 miles of bike and hiking trails and many other activities associated with the history of the cavalry base and the price is right at $20.00 a night with full hook-ups. This is a great place to visit if you are ever in the area. Today we are holed up inside as a rare snow storm passes through southern Texas.
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Thats great! nice to here there is still service out there! We should have an area on here where we could post places for repair that we had good luck at for reference
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

bigbunkhouse wrote:Thats great! nice to here there is still service out there! We should have an area on here where we could post places for repair that we had good luck at for reference
Good idea I added it to the Look here first for a dealer section which now includes good repair facilities
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Glad to hear brake check helped you out, a late friend's son works at one north of Houston.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")