Timbren Suspension Systems

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

teallen
Cardinal Owners: 2012 3030
Skype ID: thomas.allen511

Timbren Suspension Systems

Post by teallen »

I am trying to decide on how to enhance my truck suspension, air bag, another spring, or timbren system. Has anyone dealt with the Timbren Suspension system? Went to a dealer today and he discussed the three options, recommending the Timbren.
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2018 RAM 3500
9 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2019 Camping Days- 7
Camping Days - 2011 - 90, 2012 - 144, 2013 - 130, 2014 - 130, 2015 - 107
Travelers

Re: Timbren Suspension Systems

Post by Travelers »

Went and read up on the Timbren. It replaces the existing foam filled rubber snubbers with hollow rubber snubbers. They must be longer than OEM to contact the axle to preload the snubber. As weight is loaded or front axle is jolted (Michigan roads), this new snubber resist the load. I have the Firestone air bag in the rear and keep it a 5# empty and 24# hitched up. Would this system take up the addition pin weight without me having to add air? I might look into adding the front system to help keep my teeth out of the steering wheel.
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

I had Timbrens on my old Dodge and I wasn't real happy with them. They worked to level the truck when the camper was hooked up but the ride was pretty rough. I think they helped with any side to side sway but they didn't give much when driving on bumpy roads.

The Timbrens ride about a 1/2 inch above the axle when the camper is not hooked up and when you hit a bump and the axle goes up and hits them it's like hitting a brick especially in the winter.

If I ever feel the need for some type of helper I think I'd choose the air bags.

Bill
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

bop11 wrote: The Timbrens ride about a 1/2 inch above the axle when the camper is not hooked up and when you hit a bump and the axle goes up and hits them it's like hitting a brick especially in the winter. Bill
Bill, thanks. I was wondering if there was a gap or were they preloaded against the axles.
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

I'm using the Firestone airbags and have been very happy with them. I like being able to adjust the pressure to whatever load I'm carrying and when I am not loaded I don't have to feel every little bump in the road.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
Merv

Post by Merv »

teallen wrote:I am trying to decide on how to enhance my truck suspension, air bag, another spring, or timbren system. Has anyone dealt with the Timbren Suspension system? Went to a dealer today and he discussed the three options, recommending the Timbren.
I did the all research on the various alternatives, from 1 ton overload springs, which would have upgraded my TV to a 1 ton per Dodge (the only difference between a 2003 2500 and a 3500) with a change of door sticker to after market overloads to airbags and timbrens. I settled settled on timbrens. They were the cheapest and the least painful alternative with all the hype filtered out for the various alternatives. Simple to install. All that was necessary was removing the existing jounce bumpers and installing, about 15 min. Unloaded, they are about 1" above the axle housing. Loaded with the fiver they sit on the axel with the truck LEVEL and greatly improve the reaction of the suspension over unloaded; no excessive rearend hop on rough roads unloaded either. BTW, they are rated at 6000 lbs.

Bottom line is they worked for me, but results may vary.

Cheers,
Merv
snoking

Post by snoking »

A friend put them on his Chevy, and removed them after a year and install air bags. Chris