Fuel Additives

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

surveyman

Fuel Additives

Post by surveyman »

I have the Chev duramax and every 3 to 4 months I add diesel additive to the fuel. Could be my imagination but shortly after that it seems to have more pep! Last time I used what I had left and through the bottle out, now I can't remember the name of the additive and it's about time to add some again. What do others do?
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Re: Fuel Additives

Post by gmarker »

This is what I use. Diesel Kleen® +Cetane Boost® They also have one with anti-gel for use in winter if it is cold enough that you need it. It's available at a lot of the auto parts stores as well as Walmart. I use it in every time I fill up.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
snoking

Post by snoking »

Some work better than others. Here is a link to a study.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showth ... p?t=177728

Chris
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Yep good old bio diesel works the best here in portland they have to have a 2% blend in the diesel. When at the dealer the other day they told me its time to clean my injectors i said ok what does that cost thinking 20.00 no its 169.00 =)) WTH its a joke right (once I stopped laughing) Nope. :shock: Told them I would live on the danger side of things and take my chances.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:When at the dealer the other day they told me its time to clean my injectors
:shock: You have less than 40K on your engine if I'm not mistaken. Why in the world would they think your injectors needed cleaning?

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Well I don't know rob. I sent the service manager an email telling him how I felt about it plus will see him this week for some other work. Its running great got 12.2 mpg towing this weekend with plenty of power.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

craig
Cardinal Owners: 08 Red Bird 35RLT

Post by craig »

I started using the Diesel Kleen by Power Service and noticed a increase in mileage not much but alittle. I put some in everytime I fuel up.
Craig & Lynne
RAM3500 diesel
08 Red Bird 35RLT
Retired and Loven IT
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Mike is the bio-diesel just around Portland, or all of Oregon?
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Its all over Oregon, its mandatory for stations to blend it in Portland. Just went and found this article http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/news/090722biodiesel.shtml
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Interesting article, especially about the cleansing properties. Check your filters ... Thanks.
Any suggestions/recommendations about using Cetane boost with this bio-diesel.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

A typical cetane number range for #2 diesel fuel is 40-45 while #1 diesel is 48-52. Biodiesel from vegetable oils have been recorded as having a cetane number range of 46 to 52, and animal fat based biodiesels cetane numbers range from 56 to 60. So you will get a boost in cetane with bio, I know in 2004 i was running a 20% blend and you could really tell the difference when I did not use it. The engine was much quitter and my mileage went up slightly while towing. I just use the 5% now plus it helps lube the pump and such since the low sulfur does not have the lubrication like the old days.

As far as the fuel filter goes that only is a problem if you have a truck with a lot of miles and have never used bio before. I does clean things out and in that case you do need to change the fuel filter a few times then all will be fine.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

The-Bear
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS31RL. a.k.a. Cardinal 29WB LX

Post by The-Bear »

I ran my truck on Standyne Performance Formula for the first couple of years -- particularly when I drove it in Colorado in the winter.

Then I decided the stuff was too expensive and I quit.

The day I picked up my present 5ver and towed it up to the mountains I blew a lot of black smoke out the exhaust. The truck had never done that before -- but it had never pulled anything this heavy either. The truck had 95,000 miles on it at that time.

When I recently took it in for a 100,000 mile service I told the service rep. about blowing smoke when I towed the 5ver and she asked when I'd had the injectors cleaned last. My answer was NEVER. She said they (GM) recommends an injector cleaning every 40k - 50k miles. So I had it done -- YIKES! That's expensive!

When I picked the truck up from the service dept. the service rep. told me to immediately fill the tank up to the top with fuel because they'd put in an additive that needs to be dilluted with a full tank of fuel and needs to run through the engine for 500 or so miles. There was also a similar note on the steering wheel so I guess they were serious.

That got me to thinking that I should start putting in an additive myself again. So I went to Camping World and learned that they no longer sell Standyne Performance Formaula. So I got some other stuff -- can't remember what -- probably the Diesel Kleen stuff.

But after reading the link to The DieselForum regarding testing the various additives -- I'm going to switch brands to one of the Opti-Lube products. I was surprised and disappointed to learn that the Standyne Performance Formula stuff I'd been using (and had learned about on that same DieselForum years ago) was rated not acceptable regarding wear. Swell. And the stuff I just got at Camping World isn't much better -- although it is rated just barely acceptable.

I'm hoping that by switching to one of the highly rated additive products, not only will I slow down wear, but also keep the injectors cleaner and require less of those expensive cleanings -- and blow less black smoke.
Woody & Sandy
2005 Americana GS 31RL

a.k.a. Cardinal 29WBLX
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Woody I dont know what year your truck is and its funny they tell you every 40 to 50k and im am being told every 30k lol. Black smoke from a diesel and high altitudes go hand and hand. The 08 and above dont do it so much because of the dpf but the soot mass sure goes up and it will regen much faster.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Minnesota is on track to increase its required biodiesel blend from two percent to five percent (B5) this year. Because of our cold conditions they did delay mandating this several years to see if this would create problems in the winter. They found that that the biodiesel blend would not create a problem. We'll see, lucky for me I live 10 miles from the Wisconsin border so if need be I can run over there.

I've not had any problems with the B2 we presently are using.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

If I'm not mistaken black smoke from a diesel is caused by the engine running to rich. With all the sensors on modern computer controlled engines I would think that new trucks would adjust the injection for altitude and the turbos should supply plenty of air.

Rob