New Turbo

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

paul7x57mm
Cardinal Owners: 2004 33 CKT
Skype ID: paul7x57

New Turbo

Post by paul7x57mm »

Bingo! I am glad I purchased the warranty. The day I left for Colorado, I blew a turbo clamp. One of my buddies told me to carry a spare standard 3 inch clamp just in case and I had to use it. My turbo clamp popped l& it sounded like a shotgun blast. I pulled over in the shoulder of I-70 and put it on. I drove about 30 miles & stopped at Ford where they installed a new factory clamp. I was told that I may have a 299 code for over/ under boost but to keep going and get it checked when I get back from my trip.
While climbing the big hill to the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado, I lost power and it started blowing black exhust. I stopped at Summit Ford in Silverthorne and they said the unison ring was shot so they cleaned the turbo and also found worn crank pins with flat spots. The said the turbo needs to be replaced but they did not have one in stock and I couldn't wait. TThis was the day before my origional warranty ran out of time. They patched it up so I could could get home and could expect to get another 20k miles. My truck is at my local dealer getting a turbo check out.
Paul and Anita 2004 LX33 CKT, 2006 F-250 PSD 6.0 Supercrew shortbox, Airlift Bags, Drawtite w/slider & Moryde

Nights camping in 2011: 7
Nights camping in 2010: 21
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: New Turbo

Post by Chief409 »

We never think about it, but 30 in of boost is almost twice sea level pressure, and we get that amount of boost to 8,000 feet or higher. Doing a visual inspection might help detect a problem before it happens, and keeping up with the recommended service intervals is even better, but most likely a failure will be a surprise, as you experienced, despite all those precautions. A cold fact is when you get into the "Tall Country", with the long grinds up the hills, high altitude, abrupt throttle changes, the extreme stress on the cooling systems, engine, transmission and drive line, if there is a weak point, it will show. As I told my buddy when I bought the '09, "Yeah, I want the longest and most comprehensive engine, transmission and drive line warranty available, and I don't care about the rest". And I bought a truck capable of hauling a much heavier load then the 'Bird, believing in the theory that if the truck isn't being pushed to max, it'll last longer, with less problems. "Knock on Wood!" :) So far, in the last year we've put 10,000 miles on the truck with the 'Bird in tow, hitting all the Western Cardinal Points: San Diego. San Francisco. Seattle. The 'FUN' trip will be to Salt Lake City in December. And it isn't broken in yet. :D
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
paul7x57mm

Post by paul7x57mm »

You make a good point about having plenty of vehicle for the job!
I Got my truck back today, runs a little smoother and the excelleration is more snappy. They replaced the unison ring and center housing. :bounce:
Paul and Anita 2004 LX33 CKT, 2006 F-250 PSD 6.0 Supercrew shortbox, Airlift Bags, Drawtite w/slider & Moryde

Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Now it's time to test it out, trailer in tow, when are we seeing the "On the Road" post?

P.S. My Dad had a Model 95 Chilean Mauser, 7X57mm
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
paul7x57mm

Post by paul7x57mm »

Have to go back to Ford again, my air conditioning only blows out the defrost vent. I believe I lost my vacuum pump. "Another good reason I got the extended warranty" Next road trip ???short one 2 days week after next.

Ps. good round- model 70 xtr featherweight sub MOA @ 100

bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Probably just a loose vacuum line from the work done, the vents default to defrost when no vacuum is present. My dads class c had that happen in Montana, he had mice under the hood in the spring so I told him how to bypass it it got him home. When he got home we found the unreachable cannister and "T" in the Van chassis was chewed thru, with a 3 inch hole saw, a mirror, and a contortionist we got it fixed. I have had many complaints, including my work truck, that under acceleration the ac vents close, typical ford issue with either a vacuum leak in a line or a bad cannister, since the canister is supposed to store vacuum for the WOT (wide open throttle) phase when no vacuum is produced( atleast in a gassser)
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
paul7x57mm

Post by paul7x57mm »

Got the truck back and they installed a new vacuum pump. My AC now comes out the vent where it is supposed to. It cost $100 deductable.

bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

glad ur all fixed up, but I hate being wrong! :x X(
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

bigbunkhouse wrote:glad ur all fixed up, but I hate being wrong! :x X(
It could have been like the experience I had while living in Maine. Driving down the road all of a sudden it was "MAX SMOKE" out the all the defroster and heater vents of my Bronco. I pulled off the road and dumped my fire extinguisher in the defroster vents, I thought for sure it was the blower motor. Nope, leaves had packed up in the intake and around the heater blower over the years, all nicely mulched.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret