trans over heating while towing

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

virgil
Cardinal Owners: 2005 30 LE

trans over heating while towing

Post by virgil »

the trans temp gets into the yellow at times, on hills and at speeds over 60 mph, only does this when towing, I had the trans diagnosed , flushed and etc. the trans shop says i have no trans problem. I swapped brake controllers, i still have the over heating problem, any one had similar problem or can give me some advice as to what is next on the check or repair list.
2002 F250 Supercab PSD
2005 Cardinal 30` LE

ImageImage
dieselfreak21
Cardinal Owners: 2003 Cardinal 32 LX

Re: trans over heating while towing

Post by dieselfreak21 »

Not sure about the ford transmission but does it have a Band Adjustment? Heat is usually from slipping so if it does have an adjustment that might help. Have you also tried kicking it out of over drive before you get to a hill? The over 60 I don't have any suggestions, other than maybe an aftermarket cooler. I know it comes with a factory cooler, is there any air flow blockage to it?
TV:2003 Ram 2500 QC/LB 4x4 Cummins Powered 5 SPD Hand Shaker. TV MODS: 60 hp injectors, TST, Dual Disk Clutch, Chrome Stacks, Ride Rite Bags, B&W TOB and Companion and 500 hp.
RV:2003 32' Cardinal 32LX rolling on Eagle alloys and Hankook F19's
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

virgil wrote:the trans temp gets into the yellow at times, on hills and at speeds over 60 mph, only does this when towing, I had the trans diagnosed , flushed and etc. the trans shop says i have no trans problem. I swapped brake controllers, i still have the over heating problem, any one had similar problem or can give me some advice as to what is next on the check or repair list.

Hi Virg,

Last winter ours was getting near the 200 degree mark on long pulls up hills. When I got home I had the trans flushed and a new outside filter put on. Pulling up grades and the summer heat the most I've got up to is 180. The new fluid worked for us, but doesn't look like it helped you.

Say HI to Linda for us.

Jim and Jane
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

dont trust the factory gauge, get somebody who has either a live data tester, the code scanner from auto zone that is under 60 bucks does it. Or something like MIKE CLAY has, the EDGE, or we put an autometer gauge in ours in the pilar to get an accurate reading. Just sayin before you waste time and money when it could be an inaccurate factory "ish" gauge
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Traveler II wrote:
virgil wrote:the trans temp gets into the yellow at times, on hills and at speeds over 60 mph, only does this when towing, I had the trans diagnosed , flushed and etc. the trans shop says i have no trans problem. I swapped brake controllers, i still have the over heating problem, any one had similar problem or can give me some advice as to what is next on the check or repair list.

Hi Virg,

Last winter ours was getting near the 200 degree mark on long pulls up hills. When I got home I had the trans flushed and a new outside filter put on. Pulling up grades and the summer heat the most I've got up to is 180. The new fluid worked for us, but doesn't look like it helped you.

Say HI to Linda for us.

Jim and Jane
Hi Jim and Jane!!! Thought about you a week or so ago Jim....went to that store in Abbeville and stocked up on some boneless stuffed Chickns and stuffed mushrooms and all that good stuff!!! You probably need your supplies refurbished huh??? Time to head back south!!!
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Hi Linda, yes we are running low of the good stuff. Jane and I are in Little Rock, but tomorrow we start back to Minnesota. I think we mentioned that our son and him family moved here this summer, so we're down here to get a grand-kid fix.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165