Big three Diesel Shootout

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

snoking

Re: Big three Diesel Shootout

Post by snoking »

Anyone really believe the curb weights listed are what a 250/2500 4x4 diesel crew cab really weighs??????? All in the low 7's!

Chris
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well i know with my 3500 srw with full fuel and both of us in it is 8,300
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

Mike Clay wrote:Well good for Ford :thumbrt: but I do disagree on this part: With the trailer attached, the Duramax feels (and sounds) like it needs to work harder than the Power Stroke to do the same job. Under heavy acceleration, the Duramax sounds downright shrill.

In one back-to-back test, the Duramax needs about 2,000 rpm to tow the trailer up a moderate grade. The Power Stroke in the Super Duty conquers the same grade at the same speed at about 1,300 rpm. The Ford engine feels like it is barely working at all.
In my real world test with the passes on the west coast and towing over 4k miles so far my fan has only come on two times temp never gets above 205 on the water. Dont get me wrong I am glad Ford seems to have their engine problems fixed and have a good product. These tests kill me, take into consideration where the sweet spot for the cummins, ford and gmc are. They are all different with different trannys so that statement really does not hold much water, with me anyway. But thats what makes the world go round :D
Spoken like a true Chevy man. Some of my best frieds are "all Chevy " and I am sure they would say the same, but they are still my best friends. That is what makes this so much fun.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Ouch where the heck is the smiley with the knife in the chest :)) Well I owned 5 Dodge CTD before the chevys does that change anything. :D
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Good article.
Like Gerry says, got to go with the one that pays you monthly.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

John did you get your electrical problems repaired.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Olbird wrote:John did you get your electrical problems repaired.
I need to stay politically correct on this issue until it is resolved.

Not yet. :(
WVcampers

Post by WVcampers »

Mike Clay wrote:Ouch where the heck is the smiley with the knife in the chest :)) Well I owned 5 Dodge CTD before the chevys does that change anything. :D
Just having fun. This is my first Dodge, I had '05 Duramax, loved the engine and trans hated the truck. I am a "Ford Man", It started a long time ago my first vehicles were Fords, but I could not buy the first year production after the experience I had with the 6.0. If something happened to my Dodge today I would buy Ford because they did not take the bail out.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
rwlouks
Cardinal Owners: 34 QRL (Taj Mah III)

Post by rwlouks »

Since I work for Ford and own a 2011 F350 with the 6.7 of course I was glad that Ford came out on top, but reading the article it was clear to me that there isn't a lot of difference between the 3. Many of the test results were very close. Close enough that not many people would notice the difference in daily use. Also, several of them were subjective as in 'it seemed like the Duramax was working harder'. The difference in the RPMs was probably due to different gears in the rear end (the Ford had a 3:55 gear and I think the Dodge and GM had a 3:73 gear).

So overall, I think the article was good news for all of us. Choices are always good for the consumer. :D
Last edited by rwlouks on Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ & Dawn
2008 34 QRL (Taj Mah III)
2011 Super Duty
teallen
Cardinal Owners: 2012 3030
Skype ID: thomas.allen511

Post by teallen »

rwlouks wrote:Since I work for Ford and own a 2011 F350 with the 6.7 of course I was glad that Ford came out on top, but reading the article it was clear to me that there isn't a lot of difference between the 3. Many of the test results were very close. Close enough that not many people would notice the difference in daily use. Also, several of them were subjective as in 'it seemed like the Duramax was working harder'. The difference in the RPMs was probably due to different gears in the rear end (the Ford had a 3:31 gear and I think the Dodge and GM had a 3:73 gear).

So overall, I think the article was good news for all of us. Choices are always good for the consumer. :D

Russ, I agree with what you said, but still love my Ford. :x
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2018 RAM 3500
9 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2019 Camping Days- 7
Camping Days - 2011 - 90, 2012 - 144, 2013 - 130, 2014 - 130, 2015 - 107
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Well even if I owned a Dodge or a Ford its still not a fair statement since torque converters, trannys, rear end gears and such are all different. If you are going to say one is working hard look at items like load, boost pressure, heat and such not the sound or pitch of an engine. These test get me i.e 0 to 60 mph with and without a load, if a second is going to make your decision then? In another test and again I dont care if this is for any of the three but in this case Chevy lost do to the fact they did not change the body look of the truck in 2011, now how does that effect the performance of a vehicle? Alls I care is when I buy a truck it gets me up and down the hills safely and is a dependable vehicle not the my dad can beat up your dad drama. Yes all three are very close and all good trucks and i am not putting down any one of them just some of the test and statements gets me on my soap box.

Do your own home work look at them all buy the truck that fits YOUR needs and pocketbook.

nuff said
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

jim
Louisiana Oak Grove, (NELA)
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3250 RL
2016 F-350 6.7

Post by jim »

from reading the article, it appears that u will have to make ur selection based on more technical issues ie number of cup holders, layout of the dash.....

when i visited a dealer lately, the prices started at $60000 and went up.
2016 3250RL
2016 Ford F350 Crew 6.7
Lake Charles, La
Oak Grove, La (NE La)
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Olbird wrote:Yes, I looked at the install instructions and that is how the new frames are built, glad to to see they came out with a mount kit before to many 2011truck owners had their trucks with no way to pull.
Hopefully Dodge and GM will start doing what Ford is doing now by offering a factory installed 5th-wheel hitch.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/supe ... =Feature11

Rob
WVcampers

Post by WVcampers »

I don't think that articles like this would be the reason anyone would buy one vs the other. If anything these articles are good, because it should influence you to test drive them all before you buy, unless you have already made up your mind. Like I am sure most of us have. There are very few people out there that have a real reason to own a HD truck that are not loyal to one brand already. The real question is how many would consider changing brands?
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Switching brands is tough. Especially with todays trucks being real close in features and capability. But if you want to show up your neighbors - buy a FORD King Ranch! That has to be the most $$$ truck out there. I heard it even comes with dust inside to make you feel you're "home on the range". =)) =))