Big three Diesel Shootout

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Re: Big three Diesel Shootout

Post by Olbird »

Rob,

I do not think you would purchase the factory hitch option, it is costly to have it come on the truck from Ford.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

it involves a $370 prep fee and a 1695 cost totaling $2062, I paid $500 and installed my own but it is not even half the hitch Ford offers. It has the same look and ratings as this one from e-trailer for $2018 not installed!

http://www.etrailer.com/multi-product.a ... &hunter=5w

But just buying the truck is the expensive part!LOL
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

It's definitely not a $500 hitch. It's a top of the line 25000# Reese Elite with hidden rails. Plus the convenience of having a new truck arrive ready to pull a 5th-wheel.

Rob
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Rob & Cathy wrote:It's definitely not a $500 hitch. It's a top of the line 25000# Reese Elite with hidden rails. Plus the convenience of having a new truck arrive ready to pull a 5th-wheel.

Rob
Ford is known for having the bed so high that you will need to raise the Bird. Or is this hitch lowered to allow you to hook up without the Bird's bumper dragging? I've had 3 '11 F350 4x4's home and backed up to the Bird. I measured the top of hitch plate to the ground on my '05 4x4 and the new ones are 1 1/2" to 4" taller. Tire/Rims sizes makes the difference. I'll need to get a lift kit for the Bird. Or slam the truck. :D
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Travelers wrote:Ford is known for having the bed so high that you will need to raise the Bird. Or is this hitch lowered to allow you to hook up without the Bird's bumper dragging? I've had 3 '11 F350 4x4's home and backed up to the Bird. I measured the top of hitch plate to the ground on my '05 4x4 and the new ones are 1 1/2" to 4" taller. Tire/Rims sizes makes the difference. I'll need to get a lift kit for the Bird. Or slam the truck. :D
Hi John, your F250 like my F250 has a 2"block between the spring and axle and 17" wheels while the F350s come with a 4"block. It's my understanding that Ford will replace the 4" block with a 2" block at no charge. And you can get wheel sizes in 17,18 or 20".

Rob
rwlouks
Cardinal Owners: 34 QRL (Taj Mah III)

Post by rwlouks »

Travelers wrote:
Rob & Cathy wrote:It's definitely not a $500 hitch. It's a top of the line 25000# Reese Elite with hidden rails. Plus the convenience of having a new truck arrive ready to pull a 5th-wheel.

Rob
Ford is known for having the bed so high that you will need to raise the Bird. Or is this hitch lowered to allow you to hook up without the Bird's bumper dragging? I've had 3 '11 F350 4x4's home and backed up to the Bird. I measured the top of hitch plate to the ground on my '05 4x4 and the new ones are 1 1/2" to 4" taller. Tire/Rims sizes makes the difference. I'll need to get a lift kit for the Bird. Or slam the truck. :D
I have the Ford hitch and my unit sits level without any modifications. I like this hitch, it is 100% better than the Curt hitch I had prior to this one. The Reese hitch eliminated all of the chucking I had with the Curt hitch. If the 25,000# hitch is more than you need (which for most of us it is) you can get the smaller Reese Signature series hitches that will mount in the factory installed mounts and save some money.
Russ & Dawn
2008 34 QRL (Taj Mah III)
2011 Super Duty
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Rob & Cathy wrote: Hi John, your F250 like my F250 has a 2"block between the spring and axle and 17" wheels while the F350s come with a 4"block. It's my understanding that Ford will replace the 4" block with a 2" block at no charge. And you can get wheel sizes in 17,18 or 20".

Rob
Is this a dealer option? I'll check that out today.
Thanks
rwlouks

Post by rwlouks »

Travelers wrote:
Rob & Cathy wrote: Hi John, your F250 like my F250 has a 2"block between the spring and axle and 17" wheels while the F350s come with a 4"block. It's my understanding that Ford will replace the 4" block with a 2" block at no charge. And you can get wheel sizes in 17,18 or 20".

Rob
Is this a dealer option? I'll check that out today.
Thanks
Then mount is a factory option. The hitch is a dealer option.
Russ & Dawn
2011 Super Duty
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

rwlouks wrote: Then mount is a factory option. The hitch is a dealer option.
Russ
I've looked thru the 7/1/10 ordering guide. I must have missed it.

What is the dimension from the hitch plate to the bed. I have a super glide for my 4x4 crew-short box that I would like to install in the new truck.

Thanks
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I have a Reese Signature 18K which I've used on a FX4 '05 F250 and is in my FX4 '09 F350 Tow Boss now. The 'Bird was/is level with both trucks, no adjustments were needed and I didn't need to get any new parts for the move. In the Reese manual there is instructions for setting up the hitch height.

Love the hitch, no chucking, it just does the job well.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Travelers wrote:
rwlouks wrote: Then mount is a factory option. The hitch is a dealer option.
Russ
I've looked thru the 7/1/10 ordering guide. I must have missed it.

What is the dimension from the hitch plate to the bed. I have a super glide for my 4x4 crew-short box that I would like to install in the new truck.

Thanks
It is in the build and price function online! The hitch is under ACCESSORIES and the prep is under EXTERIOR :thumbrt:
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
rwlouks

Post by rwlouks »

John - I'll have to measure it when I get home tonight, but as Jeff said in his post there is a height adjustment on the hitch. My hitch came set in the middle of the height range and it was perfect for my unit, so for me it was as simple as dropping the hitch into the mount and I was done.
Russ & Dawn
2011 Super Duty
rwlouks

Post by rwlouks »

rwlouks wrote:John - I'll have to measure it when I get home tonight, but as Jeff said in his post there is a height adjustment on the hitch. My hitch came set in the middle of the height range and it was perfect for my unit, so for me it was as simple as dropping the hitch into the mount and I was done.
I measured it this morning - the center of the plate is about 16.5 inches above the bed.
Russ & Dawn
2011 Super Duty