Tranny Choice

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

ski boy
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS 38/39 RL3

Tranny Choice

Post by ski boy »

Just sitting here set up in the beautiful Black Hills, SD - talked to a couple of Cardinal owners as well as the owners of a Landmark, Montana and a Prairie Schooner; all large rigs. Not one TV has a manual trans...I'm wondering if anyone out there pulls a big trailer with a handshaker? I've never owned an automatic - starting to wonder if I'm a little strange! With a couple of mods, I have no trouble towing my 41ft trailer anywhere (within reason!)
2009 Americana GS 38/39
08 Dodge 3500 Dually, Stick, K&N Intake, South Bend clutch kit, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, 20K Star Performance Hitch
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: Tranny Choice

Post by Mike Clay »

Well i had to row 3 out of 5 of my Dodges then my wife said no more with my knees and such. Once i towed with the Allison i have never looked back. :thumbrt:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Same here, all my previous trucks had manual transmissions. After having Ford's Torque Shift automatic transmission I'll never go back to stick shift. Of course Ford no long even offers a manual transmission at least in the F250/350.

Rob
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

It seems to be a DODGE thing, I know a bunch of guys that tow BIG and have CTD sticks, I believe Paul and Tammy hace a stick in their Dodge also
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
jonandjolene
Cardinal Owners: Blue Ridge 3125RT

Post by jonandjolene »

I will agree with Rob and Cathy, we tow with a 2010 Ford F250 4X4 with an automatic transmission and have had no problems. The previous trucks we have had have all had automatic transmissions. The 2010 we have now has towed the Cardinal over 9000 miles just this year and has never even come close to overheating or causing a problem. We just engage the tow/haul option and drive.
Jon and Jolene
Both retired
2013 Blue Ridge 3125RT
2015 Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4, 6.7 PSD
Pull Rite Super Glide slider hitch
dieselfreak21
Cardinal Owners: 2003 Cardinal 32 LX

Post by dieselfreak21 »

bigbunkhouse wrote:It seems to be a DODGE thing, I know a bunch of guys that tow BIG and have CTD sticks, I believe Paul and Tammy hace a stick in their Dodge also
Thats because dodge has never made an auto until maybe recently that could hold up to a Cummins or towing.

Me personally as long as my left leg works I will never own an automatic. Don't care the manufacture. But I am a control freak that likes big power and to build an auto to hold up to big power cost big $$$$$$$. The few auto's I have driven with heavy loads and tow/haul modes i never liked the shift points, always seemed to alway try to get to a the next gear when i didn't want it to, but it may be just me and wanting to stay in the sweet spot in the motor.
TV:2003 Ram 2500 QC/LB 4x4 Cummins Powered 5 SPD Hand Shaker. TV MODS: 60 hp injectors, TST, Dual Disk Clutch, Chrome Stacks, Ride Rite Bags, B&W TOB and Companion and 500 hp.
RV:2003 32' Cardinal 32LX rolling on Eagle alloys and Hankook F19's
ski boy
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS 38/39 RL3

Post by ski boy »

dfreak21 Your sig looks like you have a beautiful truck - Mine is stock except for a South Bend clutch and hydraulics kit and a K&N intake assembly (and some nice Michelin tires) My research tells me that the Mercedes G56 six speed manual is the same used on MB medium duty trucks - my brother (28 years as a truck mechanic for TransX) has rarely fixed a manual tranny...For all drivers, IMHO, a stick keeps your attention on the drive - pretty hard to yak on the phone, play with the sound system, text, eat your lunch...
2009 Americana GS 38/39
08 Dodge 3500 Dually, Stick, K&N Intake, South Bend clutch kit, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, 20K Star Performance Hitch
snoking

Post by snoking »

dieselfreak21 wrote:
bigbunkhouse wrote:It seems to be a DODGE thing, I know a bunch of guys that tow BIG and have CTD sticks, I believe Paul and Tammy hace a stick in their Dodge also
Thats because dodge has never made an auto until maybe recently that could hold up to a Cummins or towing.

Me personally as long as my left leg works I will never own an automatic. Don't care the manufacture. But I am a control freak that likes big power and to build an auto to hold up to big power cost big $$$$$$$. The few auto's I have driven with heavy loads and tow/haul modes i never liked the shift points, always seemed to alway try to get to a the next gear when i didn't want it to, but it may be just me and wanting to stay in the sweet spot in the motor.
Maybe Dodge failed at that, however guys like Bill at DTT, Suncoast and others can build a 47RE that can tow. Now with two new 6 speeds beginning in 2007.5 Dodge has the field covered, including a factory exhaust brake on an auto tranny. Chris
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Drove a stick hauling for "too many years, etc". With the SD Ford's, well I've put well over 200,000 miles on three Ford SD trucks since 2005, a V10, a V8 (work truck) and the 6.4 diesel, all 4X4. Never have had a overheating problem, in TOW/HAUL the engine braking works fine, and I like to be able to hold on a hill without slipping the clutch. For me, if it works without having to pay any extra attention to it, just 5K service checks, I feel I got what I paid for.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
dieselfreak21
Cardinal Owners: 2003 Cardinal 32 LX

Post by dieselfreak21 »

ski boy wrote:dfreak21 Your sig looks like you have a beautiful truck - Mine is stock except for a South Bend clutch and hydraulics kit and a K&N intake assembly (and some nice Michelin tires) My research tells me that the Mercedes G56 six speed manual is the same used on MB medium duty trucks - my brother (28 years as a truck mechanic for TransX) has rarely fixed a manual tranny...For all drivers, IMHO, a stick keeps your attention on the drive - pretty hard to yak on the phone, play with the sound system, text, eat your lunch...
Thanks, I have the South Bend Dual Disk. Yes to my knowledge the G56 is a medium duty, I loved the one I had in my 1st diesel (93 dodge). The new ones have some funk ratio's but great for towning.

I am finally glad to see dodge build an auto that may hold up.

Snoking is right on about those builders. They make bullet proof tranny's, they are just proud of them but with what they put into them it is still value for the money.
TV:2003 Ram 2500 QC/LB 4x4 Cummins Powered 5 SPD Hand Shaker. TV MODS: 60 hp injectors, TST, Dual Disk Clutch, Chrome Stacks, Ride Rite Bags, B&W TOB and Companion and 500 hp.
RV:2003 32' Cardinal 32LX rolling on Eagle alloys and Hankook F19's
tschmalz

Post by tschmalz »

Love my manual six speed and since I can't afford to buy a new truck every five years I figure the clutch is a whole lot cheaper to replace than rebuilding an automatic.
Bill in San Diego

Post by Bill in San Diego »

I'm impressed with the automatic in the Dodge. In tow haul mode with the exhaust brake you never feel like it's getting away from you and it shifts well. Even in town without the Bird behind it, it's easy to downshift with the little rocker switch if you are in traffic and don't want it shifting. You pick the lowest gear and it'll start out in first and go thru the gears up to where you set it and back down as you slow. It's also great in Tow Haul mode when you are in construction stop and go. The exhaust brake isn't too loud and I sneak it on in town.

I have a 2000 F250 PSD with the 6 speed and it has been a great truck for towing the boat and an occasional Bob Cat on a trailer. Not sure I want 14000# pushing me though compared to the Dodge. My left leg is finally getting back to normal size after years of clutch pushing!
PaulandTammy
Cardinal Owners: 2009 362BHLE

Post by PaulandTammy »

Did have one. Went to the auto last week when I bought the new truck. I hated the old 4 speed OD auto pre 2007. I went with the manual because the 6 speed auto wasn't available in 2006. I had a 2011 Dodge CTD with the 6 speed auto follow me home last week and Tammy said I could keep it.
PaulandTammy

09 362-BHLE
2011 Dodge 3500 CTD DRW
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

PaulandTammy wrote: I had a 2011 Dodge CTD with the 6 speed auto follow me home last week and Tammy said I could keep it.
Hey, congratulations on your new truck! :thumbrt:

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Yes congratulations on the new truck :thumbrt:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ