Truck Mounted Genny

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Parno
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal a 29WB, 5th Wheel. 3 weeks later a 2008 Dodge Quad Cab with Smoke Motor.
3000 Boliy Generator, 500 watts of solar
1000w Invertor, 2 Golfcart T-105 batteries, Bogart 2025 Charge indicator
Moryde ISR suspension (Best thing we;ve done!)

Truck Mounted Genny

Post by Parno »

We just purchased an 05 Cardinal. This is our 6th rig, not Newbees to this.

We now want to full time for a few years. We need 110V for various issues. I'm determined to devise a system to truck mount a 5KW (or so) diesel Genny in the bed of my as yet unpurchased pick-up.

My intent is to be able to run this several hours/day when we are traveling and need the mid day break, or if we want to leave Bully Dog at home while we explore.

I'd like to here an comments.

Pete Arnold 32°
Peter & Anne-Marie Arnold
Member of Escapee's
National Camping Travelers, A Masonic Camping Group
2005 Cardinal
2008 Dodge RAM W/Smoke Motor
Somewhere, Texas
snoking

Re: Truck Mounted Genny

Post by snoking »

Welcome to the forum. You did not give any details on the trailer you purchased. Size, model or weight! One of the issues that just about everyone faces is weight! With most Single Rear Wheel pickups, pin weight is a big issue for the rear axle rating of the truck. Everything that you place in the bed of the truck subtracts from the amount of pin weight from the trailer that you can handle.

A 5K diesel gen is going to be 300 lbs or so. Another thing about diesel generators is that they like to be used at there higher end of there output range. Running them a lot at a small load leads to problems.

Bully dog statement is confusing. Mount a diesel gen set in the truck, leave the dog while you explore and maybe run the air conditioner?????

As a side note on a 2005 Cardinal. Tires were a big issue. Kenda Klever's and Loadstar were standard back then. Neither performed very well. You might also want to look at this thread. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5130

We love our 2005 29WBLX, thinking that it was one of the better small floor plans. Computer desk, king size bed and viewing TV Straight on are all big pulses. We have been at this for 6 years installing a few new mods each year. Last winter we removed the 25 Magnavox TV and installed a 32 Visio flat screen on a hinge, which made another storage area above the computer desk. There is a post on it. Many others have also posted info on their mods.

Chris
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

That is a big & heavy generator, consider a medium duty truck with a diesel powered gen mounted in the truck and running off the truck tanks. My M2 is for sale and could be modified to handle it, see the ad in market place forum on this site. B-)
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Parno
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal a 29WB, 5th Wheel. 3 weeks later a 2008 Dodge Quad Cab with Smoke Motor.

Post by Parno »

[quote="snoking"]

A 5K diesel gen is going to be 300 lbs or so. Another thing about diesel generators is that they like to be used at there higher end of there output range. Running them a lot at a small load leads to problems.

Bully dog statement is confusing. Mount a diesel gen set in the truck, leave the dog while you explore and maybe run the air conditioner?????

As a side note on a 2005 Cardinal. Tires were a big issue. Kenda Klever's and Loadstar were standard back then. Neither performed very well. You might also want to look at this thread. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5130

:arrow: I saw your TV upgrade, I will be doing that to our our rig as it is your twin! I gave private owner a sizable deposit yesterday, will pick-up in a few weeks after I shuffle funds.
We have an English Bulldog, they do not tolerate heat any more than this seasoned couple. I've had several MH, used to having turnkey power when I want it. I suspect propane Genny's are a major fueling PIA.
My plan is to have it mounted in 'soundproof' and on vibration absorbing material so as to use it as portable power. For dry camping (We are going fulltime next summer) I will charge a battery bank and use genny about 1 hour/day to charge them.

-Pete
Member of Escapee's
2005 Cardinal
Somewhere, Texas
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

We've had a number of motor homes, all with generators. Our generator were always running, mainly because the dash air doesn't cool enough so we would run the generator and MH's air. When we moved to our 5th wheel I was concerned about the added weight we would have if we ordered one with a generator. We had our rig pre-wired so we could add a generator at a later date. It's been 3 years and we haven't added one, and I don't believe we will. My concern still is the added weight.

Now if you get a big enough truck that can handle the weight, not a problem. But for us we want to stay with a 3/4 ton diesel.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

What about this ??? This is what I did with my Honda EU3000is
Parno

Post by Parno »

This is very interesting! Genny stays there over road? Doesn't hit the cab? Genny Weight?

Photos sent to pm7088@comcast would be appreciated!

Pete Arnold
Member of Escapee's
2005 Cardinal
Somewhere, Texas
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Pete, will get some of the more recent photos together, and "send" them to you.

Looks much diff now, on my "Bird", plus Diamond plate cover, and I overkilled on the metal to mount it, but it is not going anywhere!! :thumbrt: