Banks Exhaust Braking

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Banks Exhaust Braking

Post by Traveler II »

I just ordered the Banks exhaust brake system for our pick-up. I'm going to have them install it at their plant in California this winter when we are in that area.

I've had exhaust brakes on some motor homes we've had, and it along with the Allison transmission gives a guy a better feeling about stopping.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: Banks Exhaust Braking

Post by Mike Clay »

I sure like the OEM one that came on my truck :thumbrt: Now I do know they did some beefing up of the Allison in 2011 one for the extra power and torque and also for the exhaust brake. I would ask Gales people if there is going to be a problem with the tranny holding up. Im sure there wont be but does not hurt to check. He has a plug and play system which im sure works basically like the OEM one does.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
bilmorvn
Location: We're fulltimers and have never been physically to our address in Madison SD! Will get there probably when we renew our DL. Try to stay not too warm or cold. Usually go to Mexico in the winter which we love. Will gladly answer ?s about full timing or Mexico.
Cardinal Owners: Have a 2008 35 SB. Had ordered exactly what we wanted and then had to cancel since they changed floorplans. Wanted the W/D in the bathroom, not bedroom. Have some problems, but we love the layout. Have made many modifications including larger windows in small S/O, furniture, cabinet work, 46" TV.

Post by bilmorvn »

Our'06 Allison works great w/o an exhaust brake. Have been on 18% grades in Mexico. The reason we have an '06 is because our Banks exhaust brake with the Smart-Lock for the tranny, locked up at the wrong time and tore out the transmission in Mexico. Unfortunately the Mexican who can repair anything, couldn't fix it, ergo the '06 which I love. :ymhug:
BillMoRex&Princess
Fulltiming since 8/93
2008 35 SB/ 2006 Chev Duramax
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

What I'm reading here isn't very positive, I've used Banks products in the past with good luck. Instead of getting a new pick up that now comes with an exhaust brake I though I would just add one to my 2008. In our motor homes we had both the Allison and exhaust brake and the the two were a great combination, and I've somewhat missed them with our fiver.

But I will follow up with Banks and also ask if anyone else has used this product.

Thanks for the comments.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

I personally have not found the need to go with Banks yet. Pulled out west this summer and found the worst hill was near here in WV. Did heat up the brakes a little, but attention and caution sufficed for the EB. Have 80,000 on the TV with original brake pads and they have a long life left.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well the main reason for my new truck was the exhaust brake, in three of my past 5 Dodge CTD i had Jacobs exhaust brakes. When I got my 08 Chevy the tranny did a good job and with my 29 rk but with the larger trailer it seemed I had to really pay attention to several things so I would not have a run away. It seems pretty much every direction I travel from Portland there is a pass and with the new truck its a much more relaxing drive.

The main thing is if you are going to add Banks, Jacob or whoever make sure you do your homework on the tranny to make sure it will hold up with these brakes.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Also Jim, are you still within your truck's warranty period and will that be an issue?

Rob
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

From the Allison Transmission web site:

"Q. Exhaust Brake - What is the effect of an exhaust brake on the transmission?
A. Exhaust brakes are widely used in the medium/heavy duty truck market, and Allison publishes guidelines for integrating exhaust brake controls with the TCM. This integration is necessary so that the transmission can alter its shift characteristics to maximize the exhaust brake's effectiveness and not adversely affect transmission operation when the exhaust brake is not in use.
Allison Engineering has tested one manufacturer's aftermarket exhaust brake on a Duramax equipped pickup. This installation was made per the manufacturer's instructions and had no provision for communicating to the TCM when the exhaust brake was in use, and thus resulted in harsh/objectionable shift characteristics and a negative impact to grade braking performance when exhaust brake was activated. The benefit of the exhaust brake was also lessened in certain circumstances due to the lack of TCM integration.

Q. Exhaust Brake - Will having an exhaust brake void my warranty?
A. Warranty on the Allison 1000 Series™ in GM pickups is administered by the Chevrolet or GMC divisions of GM, not directly by the Allison division of GM. Please consult your GM dealer regarding questions about warranty coverage."

http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/index.jsp

I would check with GM.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Parno
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal a 29WB, 5th Wheel. 3 weeks later a 2008 Dodge Quad Cab with Smoke Motor.
3000 Boliy Generator, 500 watts of solar
1000w Invertor, 2 Golfcart T-105 batteries, Bogart 2025 Charge indicator
Moryde ISR suspension (Best thing we;ve done!)

Post by Parno »

My Dad was a processing engineer for Jacobs when they teamed with Cummings in the mid-60's on Brake design and production. One of it's benefits was that it kept the cold hearted diesels warm when going down long grades. Old trucks had to cover their radiators due to excessive cooling.
If your transmission design locks up the torque converter, energy will pass to the engine and you will be fine. The aftermarket unit on my '95 Power Stroke simply drove tranny temp up. The A40D transmission being somewhat marginal I almost never used the exhaust brake.
I drove a Iszu cube van for several years, brakes lasted forever as I used the exhaust brake that had been engineered into the truck

YMMV
Peter & Anne-Marie Arnold
Member of Escapee's
National Camping Travelers, A Masonic Camping Group
2005 Cardinal
2008 Dodge RAM W/Smoke Motor
Somewhere, Texas
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

I want to thank all of you for your comments. I've put a down payment on having the system installed. I'm going to cancel it.
Jim & Jane
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

If you are counting on Govt. Motors' warranty, have I got news for you. The FIRST thing they look for is ANY mod to the powertrain. Then it is a battle from there. You may or may not win.
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

rlhedlund wrote:If you are counting on Govt. Motors' warranty, have I got news for you. The FIRST thing they look for is ANY mod to the powertrain. Then it is a battle from there. You may or may not win.
There're all getting like that. The law maybe on your side but the fight is yours. ~X(
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

One of the passes I pull over happens to be one the same stretches of road Banks uses to test their products. With my '09 F350 Tow Boss in Tow/Haul mode and the 'Bird, I can set up to go down the hill at 55, a very few light brake applications, mostly for traffic, once or twice for high RPM's, and at a couple points I need to add power to maintain speed. Of course if the tranny shifts up when I add power, I'll need to reset the engine braking by applying the brakes a bit so the tranny shifts back down to maintain the speed I desire. Transmission and engine temps stay in the middle, boost is at "0".

No knock on Banks, but the "Big 3" seem to be paying attention to the aftermarket parts suppliers, and including the most popular items like engine braking, more durable transmissions and running gear, hitches, entertainment centers, etc. as "stock" or a "factory option" in their newest models. Which is good for the average first time truck buyer, or a guy like me who wishes to spend his free time and money, hauling to a campsite, or another mod for the 'Bird, not under the truck. 'Sides, all the SMOG regs took the fun out of wrenching on a vehicle. :lol:
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
snoking

Post by snoking »

If you walk around our RV Park, a lot of the Class A gassers have a nice Banks Badges on the side! Wonder how they fair at warranty repairs? I have a Banks Exhaust brake only because my step son was a dealer at the time and I got a good price on it. There are many other suppliers that provide better aftermarket items at lower costs. Banks and Montana, both marketing phenomenon's, and no one really knows why!

Chris
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

Banks called me today just to let me know that they have refunded my down payment. Again thanks for all the help on this subject.
Jim & Jane