Who here Pulls w/ a 7.3 Powerstroke?

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

sprintcarfan

Who here Pulls w/ a 7.3 Powerstroke?

Post by sprintcarfan »

My wife and I will be picking up our "new to us" Cardinal soon. My truck is an '02 F350 w/ the 7.3 diesel. I know the truck will handle The Cardinal but was just wondering what I can expect for mileage while pulling the 5'er? We had a small travel trailer before and I have pulled heavy dump trailers but they were all bumper hitch. Will the high profile really drop the mileage down even more than what I was getting with the travel trailer?
Parno
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal a 29WB, 5th Wheel. 3 weeks later a 2008 Dodge Quad Cab with Smoke Motor.
3000 Boliy Generator, 500 watts of solar
1000w Invertor, 2 Golfcart T-105 batteries, Bogart 2025 Charge indicator
Moryde ISR suspension (Best thing we;ve done!)

Re: Who here Pulls w/ a 7.3 Powerstroke?

Post by Parno »

With the '95 PSD {2WD Auto} I could plan on 10MPG. It would do 18mpg empty. YMMV
In the south {FLAT} it would do better. In Vermont, I wouldn't calculate it ;-).
Stay at 65MPH, use O/D only if it's not hunting on and off.
My Ford rusted out in about 15 years. Gave it to my grandson, I doubt that the engine will ever tire.
Peter & Anne-Marie Arnold
Member of Escapee's
National Camping Travelers, A Masonic Camping Group
2005 Cardinal
2008 Dodge RAM W/Smoke Motor
Somewhere, Texas
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I had a '97 4X4 supercab with the 7.3 and a manual transmission and pulling a 26' TT back then I got around 10 mpg.

Rob
sprintcarfan

Post by sprintcarfan »

Thanks guys, thats roughly what I was getting with a 25' travel trailer before. I could get 10-12 depending how hard I drove it. One thing I found wether pulling or just driving is trying to keep RPM's under 2-grand when at cruising speed. I think weight was around 6,000 on the travel trailer, and now I'll be pulling more than that. So I hope it don't drop too much more. I do have some mods that should help a little, and we only take about two trips a year that are more than 10-15 miles, but was getting curious.
Parno
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal a 29WB, 5th Wheel. 3 weeks later a 2008 Dodge Quad Cab with Smoke Motor.
3000 Boliy Generator, 500 watts of solar
1000w Invertor, 2 Golfcart T-105 batteries, Bogart 2025 Charge indicator
Moryde ISR suspension (Best thing we;ve done!)

Post by Parno »

I'm general very much unimpressed with 'upgrades'
The powertrain was engineered to work as a team. If you 'chip", you will find the weak part. As so on.

'Improving' the air intake or exhaust has never been proven to me {3rd part independent research lab} to improve power or mileage. Diesel are not air limited by design, the only way to improve power or mileage is thru the fuel system.

With the industrial engines, a field tech will ask you 'do you want power or mileage?', than he will adjust the fuel curve. A friend has several of these on lease. He hire drivers to drive 'Mileage' engine, has his tuned for power as he pays the fuel bill.

Me, I leave mine bone stock and hope for 200Kmi on the tranny. Got to 180Kmi on my PSD, started to slip at 180Kmi and had it overhauled.

YMMV
Peter & Anne-Marie Arnold
Member of Escapee's
National Camping Travelers, A Masonic Camping Group
2005 Cardinal
2008 Dodge RAM W/Smoke Motor
Somewhere, Texas
wild acres

Post by wild acres »

I have a 02 F250 w/4x4 pulling I get around 10-12. MT I get almost 20 MPG after I went over 100,000 miles. Got less under the 100K. I have a 29 footer, so trailers pretty evenly balanced. Rides good, and runs with the big dogs. :)) I try to stay around 62 on interstate. Better MPG under that speed.
gatekper
Cardinal Owners: 2001 32 XL triple slide
[url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php][img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-char054.gif[/img][/url]
nights camped in 2011 143
nights camped in 2012 80 and counting

Post by gatekper »

I have the 2003 F250 psd and like most of them has said the gas mileage will be around 10-12 mpg. I have a 2001 32XL and towed 89 Jayco 27 ft single slide and there has not been much difference other them now I keep it closer to the 55 speed limit then before.
Dale T & Anita K
U.S.N. Ret Image
2001 32 XL triple slide
2003 F250 crew cab Power Stroke
nights camped in 2011 ...198 nights
twtrailrider

Post by twtrailrider »

I have a 2004 F350 dually, long bed, crew cab, super duty, turbo with Banks exhaust, I am getting 14 mpg (average) and I pulled my 30 5er from Longview WA over the Siskiyou Mountains to Susanville CA to Pahrump, NV. In CA I drove 55 mph and the other states at 60-65. Brakes got a little warm on the 6% down grade coming off the top of the mountains, had them checked in Susanville and all was fine.