Pickups.com Rumble in the Rockies

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Re: Pickups.com Rumble in the Rockies

Post by Traveler II »

I take it at some Cardinal Rally in the future we will take one each of the big three hooked to our Birds and see who wins in a quarter mile. =)) =)) :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

I am more concern about the difference in the exhaust brake performance, I know for fact I use the pedal brake very little with my turbo brake.
We came down some steep grades from yellowstone with just a couple pushes on the brake pedal just as the Rumble test stated.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Olbird wrote:I am more concern about the difference in the exhaust brake performance, I know for fact I use the pedal brake very little with my turbo brake.
We came down some steep grades from yellowstone with just a couple pushes on the brake pedal just as the Rumble test stated.
The exhaust brake is one of Ford's marketing tools and the reason I would upgrade to a new truck. This outcome would definately have potential customers looking at chevy.
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

I think I will be waiting a while to upgrade, all this reflashing, and other issues like dpf with the new diesels really makes me glad I have a gasser. I do not live in the mountains or intend to travel into them anytime soon, the traveling I have done I have never had an issue with power, stopping, limping home or a recall or reflash. eventually I would love a newer diesel but I think they all need more time to get it rite, In the end I still think you cannot go wrong with any of the big three but I do not want to be a guinea pig I want time tested proven performance and reliability. The rumble sure shows that GM has their act together compared to ford, and their truck performed as advertized, hopefully the results will kick Ford into gear and step their game up. I would have liked to see them drop the gcvw to bring in the Dodge, and I am surprised Dodge has yet to up their ride :-\
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I agree on Dodge seems like they settled this year for whatever reason. 3 of my Dodges had exhaust brakes and this is my first with the turbo brake and I do have to say they are quite and work very well. The regens on the trucks are pretty seamless and as for the urea (DEF) the two major problems I have with that is one I forget about it and two why dont they put a gauge on the tank so you know where you are at on fluid. I know how much it uses running empty about 1,000 miles per gallon but towing that changes. This year I carried two gallons extra with me going to Yellowstone and never had to use them but once we got home I went in for an oil change and a top off on the tank had around 3,800 miles most towing and it took close to 5 gallons so I was getting low and did not get my 1,000 mile warning. :?
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Mike, does the DEF tank have a low level sensor, or is the warning issued by the computer?
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well it is suppose to let you know when you have 1,000 miles left but mine and I see others is not doing that. Then it will let you know around 400 miles down to where you will get a message fill it or go really slow, well not in those words.

Edit: After checking the out come of the no warning I found the tank from completely empty to full is a little over 7 gallons so I may have not gotten to that point yet but I sure would like a gauge.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
R & D

Post by R & D »

GO DODGE!!!!!! :thumbrt: ...(Roy isn't here right now to put his 2 cents in :D )
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Matt, (proven performance and reliability) both GM and Ford has changed / upgrade their engines, frames, bed boxes, etc. for 11 years now.
You will never see any of them stay with proven performance and reliability as long the requirements change for buyers needs and gov. regulations.
So go buy that new truck and just say NO to GAS.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Olbird wrote:Matt, (proven performance and reliability) both GM and Ford has changed / upgrade their engines, frames, bed boxes, etc. for 11 years now.
You will never see any of them stay with proven performance and reliability as long the requirements change for buyers needs and gov. regulations.
So go buy that new truck and just say NO to GAS.
exactly my good man, so I wait till say 2015, and if the 2012 trucks have a great record then thats what I am getting, I do not care if I am one step behind or two even, my gasser is exactly what I wanted and needed and the price could not be beat! remember I am a youngin, i probably have 35 years till retirement, and now that used gasser 2wd dually with 30k for 14 grand was exactly in my price range and it smells good to boot. My next upgrade will be a work truck, I have been looking at 08 diesels and if I can get one in my range then next year I will join the oil burner crowd. I know it may be tooo old for some of you but I am stepping up from a 99 with over 230k on it

Ps I am an equal and fair guy, I never claimed one truck is the best I just wear blue :mrgreen:
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

Although I have had some issues with my "oil burner" :D , after some research I have found some proactive remidies to keep it going strong for another 2 to 300K miles. Buy then, I hope that there will be some long term options that are well proven and affordable. 127K miles on my truck now. 35k miles since any issues :ymapplause: . And, I really do like my truck! :thumbrt:

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

We like the diesel I finally bought, it handles mountain passes, the high altitudes, all the twisty roads and winds while pulling the 'Bird easily. Sometimes you forget a trailer is on the hitch. It's comfortable, quiet, has all the options I could wish for, and will be paid for before I retire. The only thing it lacks is a aux fuel tank, and that will get fixed next summer. So it's a "keeper". :D
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

rpfan wrote:Although I have had some issues with my "oil burner" :D , after some research I have found some proactive remidies to keep it going strong for another 2 to 300K miles. Buy then, I hope that there will be some long term options that are well proven and affordable. 127K miles on my truck now. 35k miles since any issues :ymapplause: . And, I really do like my truck! :thumbrt:

Rich
Rich

what are some of those remedies? The landscaper whose trucks I work on now has 5 6.0s and all but one has had multiple injectors and or controlers and or turbo and or egr issues. and ford is no help at all
Torben

Post by Torben »

After reading all the posts. My take on it is , we all tow fairly heavy trailers or 5th wheels and going up or down the hiway or interstate I have yet to see a gas powered semi-truck pulling a big load. I like my Chevy Diesel :ymhug:
snoking

Post by snoking »

Well the new Dodge Pickup is behind the curve on not having urea injection. SO that CHEVY is looking like the best of the lot right now! Plus Dodge does not have an extended cab available. The great working exhaust brake puts it high on my list!

Chris