cold use oil?

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

cold use oil?

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Those of you who use ur diesel's in the winter, real winter not texas cold LOL, what viscosity oil do you run? We have been running 15w 40 in all 13 powerstrokes all year without ever a problem. Ford just told my landscaper buddy that he needs to run 5w40 in all his plow trucks in the winter if they have a 6.0 or 6.4 liter. We dont see many days below 10deg F the manual says we are in the temp range for the 15w 40, just wondering what you guys do
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Re: cold use oil?

Post by Traveler II »

The manual for our Chevy tells us to use 15w 40. We live in Minnesota, but head out each year in January. We miss the real cold weather, but still can see some temperatures around 0 in late December, early January. We have an engine heater and we do plug it in. We have it on a timer and it kicks in around 5:00 in the morning. Never had a problem with the truck starting or running great at these temperatures. We also use the radiator cover to keep the engine compartment warm.

Just to give you an idea how cold it can get. I ice fish and last year when I pulled my ice house off the lake to head out for the winter the ice was 3 feet thick. We left here January 8th.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Did the dealer give you buddy a reason to deviate from what the manual calls for? Or was he (the dealer) passing on a "helpful hint". For example: If the trucks sit without a block heater, and the OAT is at the bottom range for 15-40W, I can understand the recommendation for 5w40. Especially on the 6.4, it's a close tolerance engine for a diesel according to my owners manual and DVD.

Edit: Thanks for reminding me to have 5W-40 put in when I take mine in for some scheduled service this month. I'll be in Salt Lake City for a week or so in December, and I don't have a block heater.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

I believe his recommendation was a personal opinion, one of the trucks was in for injector issues and thou I was not there I was told that is what prompted the conversation. All the trucks have block heaters but even in the single digits they all start and run fine, I was thinking possibly it had to do with the oil fired injectors in the service dept. opinion having less trouble with the thinner cold weather oil. Chief, I did not know you could get it without a block heater, but around here it is also a rarity to see one without a plow. :lol:
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

bigbunkhouse wrote:Chief, I did not know you could get it without a block heater, but around here it is also a rarity to see one without a plow. :lol:
That surprised me too. I thought all Ford diesels came with a block heater.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

I'll have to recheck the manual, but I think it's an option. And till now I hadn't really thought much about it. Sunny Southern California and all that you know. :) Also the 6.4 diesel spoils you. No glow plug time, and, as the manual says "a warm up period is not required due the extremely tight tolerances of the engine and is not recommended". Now that statement makes me think 5W-40 might be a good idea for the winter because of the time we'll be spending in Salt Lake City. As I said, I need to take a refresher look at the book.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:I'll have to recheck the manual, but I think it's an option.
You may be right Jeff. I went to Ford.com to build a new truck and even though I chose the 6.7 PSD the block heater was a $75 option.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

While Terry and the Yorkie were at the vets office I was going thru the supplemental engine manual. For heavy duty use (towing/snow plow, etc) Ford recommends two oils: 15W-40 or 5W-40. 15W-40 is recommended for temps 20 deg and up, 5W-40 for temps below 20 deg and up. Also under heavy duty use (towing/snow plow, etc.) the recommended oil change interval is 5000 miles, synthetic oils included. So living in Mass., the winter temps are right at the low end of the range for 15W-40.

The engine block heater was a option for my '09. In the manual all reference to one has the statement "if equipped".
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

He has twin 06 F350's and I think I may try the 5w40 in one and 15w40 in the other and keep an eye on the low temp performance, startup and attitude to see if I notice a difference. As far as the block heater option, interesting and something to keep an eye out for if buying an EBAY ride or a texas truck for use in the cold.
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

I run 15w 40 year round. It starts fine but, runs a little rough for the first 2 or 3 min in cold temps, unless it is pluged in. Oil changed every 5K miles with Motorcraft filters ONLY.

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

My Dodge had the heater in the block but did not have the cord. The dealer said that though it was an option that they all came with the element in the block, I guess that the engine builder does not build an engine for a particular truck so they put the heater in all of them, then Dodge will include the cord if you order the option. I got the cord from Geno's Garage for $18:00, Dodge wanted around $70:00. Chief, you might check the block, you could have a heater.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

rpfan wrote:I run 15w 40 year round. It starts fine but, runs a little rough for the first 2 or 3 min in cold temps, unless it is pluged in. Oil changed every 5K miles with Motorcraft filters ONLY.

Rich
The start up period is mentioned in the manual as the reason to use 5W-40 when the temp remains at 20 deg or lower, especially without a block heater. The supplemental manual I have covers both the 6.0 and 6.4 engines and this is the recommendation for both. Where it stays REALLY cold, there is a oil pan heater and a radiator grill cover available, though the grill cover is NOT recommended for use while towing. Off topic info. Reading the supplemental engine manual It appears Ford kept the 6.0 in the E series vans thru at least '09. I've never really went thru the supplemental manual before, just the Owners Manual and DVD. Interesting. And reminds me why I sold my snow blower and got outta Maine 20 years ago! :D
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

On edit, I do keep my truck pluged in
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
Samsbird
Cardinal Owners: 35 sbqle fifth wheel
Skype ID: yes

Post by Samsbird »

I use 15w-40 all year round in my 6.0 and the winters here in Va. get pretty cold at times.
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
2012 F350 SRW King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
1969 (428 Super Cobra Jet Mach 1)
1970 (Boss 302)
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

Jeff, Your '09 likely has the block heater, but not the connecting wire. I did not get it as an "equipped" extra on my '08, but my buddy did. While crawling around his truck I noticed a screw in block plug at the right rear of the block. near the starter. It has two terminals and screw threads on it, like a large water pressure or temp sender. His truck has a wire going forward from that sender looking unit, along the bed plate/oil pan toward the grill. I followed it to the AC three prong plug for an extension cord. My friend said it is his block heater. I confirmed it in my shop manual. Out of curiosity, I inspected my truck. It has the same heater element/sender unit looking device installed in the block, in the same location. I have no pig tail cord/wire. Ford told me all diesel engines have the heater element, but not all are "equipped" with the cord. A simple order and add on by the owner, and you are set to go.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!