cold use oil?

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: cold use oil?

Post by Chief409 »

Thanks for the info. I'll crawl under and look at mine, but I'm fairly sure I don't have the pigtail. If it isn't there, I'll get one on order with the dealer so it can be installed. I'd build and install a pigtail myself, but I'm leery of warranty issues.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

It looks like the factory pigtail pushes over the male pins inside a threaded flange, then the threaded collar on the pigtail cinches it in place to prevent failure and falling out. Looks like a metal connection due to heat, etc. Can't cost that much...
Probably cheaper than an air filter.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

I had the truck in at the dealer for the 15K service today. It now has 5W-40 synthetic oil, and the block heater cord is supposed to come in Wednesday (I checked, then had the dealer double check - no cord). Then I looked at a bunch of Ford Diesel sites looking for install info, since there is nowhere around here where I could see how to route the cable, or the attach points, etc. in person. Now all I need is a break in the weather to put it in. I hate hanging over something, or crawling around under a truck in the rain and/or COLD WIND! I don't really think the block heater will be needed, except for my comfort starting out on the morning drive. Becides the company told me this morning they're picking up the cost of the SLC KOA stay, so the electricity is paid for!
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:Becides the company told me this morning they're picking up the cost of the SLC KOA stay, so the electricity is paid for!
I would think so since the KOA has to be cheaper than a hotel. Are they giving you equivalent airfare to help pay for fuel?

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Yep, the cost of airfare been standard. This is the first time they've agreed to pick up the campground fee, though. Now, as long as the price of diesel stays where it's at, I'm almost breaking even on this trip. I just wish it wasn't in December though. But, it'll be interesting and educational, I'm sure! Already I'm checking prevailing wind directions in Cedar City and SLC, no way is the picture window, or door, going to face into the wind in the winter, even for one night!
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
dfredendall
Council, Moderator

Post by dfredendall »

How much does the pigtail cost from Ford?
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

I got the wholesale price - $79. Retail is $129. I know they can be gotten for much less, they seem to be common for all diesels, but the Ford one has heat shield covering on the wire for the portion from the block heater to the wheel well, and the attachments to hook into the frame, from what information I was able get, I don't think the generic cables have this, so you'd have to provide for that yourself. Especially the heat shield covering. It seemed simpler to order one made for the truck I'm installing it in, not to mention forestalling any possible warranty issue. We'll see.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
dfredendall
Council, Moderator

Post by dfredendall »

Good to know. See, it was cheaper than the air filter. LOL. I agree, the brackets and shields are best to have. I might get it, "just because." I have to admit, where I live, freezing is not a big concern. I do not want to get so cold that fuel gels, and batteries freeze, and engines sieze. BRRRRR! Oh you hearty souls who can do that, God love you! I donot even know how to winterize the bird.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California