Oil Changes on your DIESEL trucks

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Rob & Cathy

Re: Oil Changes on your DIESEL trucks

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:You talking to yourself Rob :))
LOL, been know to but in this case I think someone hit EDIT rather than QUOTE on my message.

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Travelers wrote:That's why Gas is always an option. And the E flasher pop on automatically when it goes up any hill. :D :D :ymhug:
John, John, John...

Rob
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
Travelers wrote:That's why Gas is always an option. And the E flasher pop on automatically when it goes up any hill. :D :D :ymhug:
John, John, John...

Rob
Rob,
I had a v10 once with a TT @ 11k. So I feel your pain. :D Its really demoralizing to be the last guy up the hill. =)) AND get bad mileage.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Travelers wrote:Rob,
I had a v10 once with a TT @ 11k. So I feel your pain. :D Its really demoralizing to be the last guy up the hill. =)) AND get bad mileage.
LOL, believe me John I know my truck gets no respect from anyone in this group but so far it as served me well. It's never had any warranty issues and only sees the dealer for fluids and filters. And the 5+ years I've had the Cardinal it's never had to be pulled by someone else (of course now that I've said that!). But to spend $50,000+ to be among the first at the top of the hill and get some better mileage just doesn't seem to add up at this time. Maybe in the future, as the saying goes never-say-never.

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Rob, think bigger and used. I know a guy that recently bought a Freightliner tractor (mechanically sound) for much less than a new pick-up. :D And it is pre-emissions so mileage should be around 10 towing with a light foot. Can burn more fuel and be the first to the top of the hill with 470 hp and 1850 ft/lbs! :bounce:
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Thanks Bruce, but I certainly don't need/want anything bigger and a PU is very versatile. I would consider a previous years model off the lot but that's at least two years away.

Rob
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
Travelers wrote:Rob,
LOL, believe me John I know my truck gets no respect from anyone in this group but so far it as served me well. It's never had any warranty issues and only sees the dealer for fluids and filters. And the 5+ years I've had the Cardinal it's never had to be pulled by someone else (of course now that I've said that!). But to spend $50,000+ to be among the first at the top of the hill and get some better mileage just doesn't seem to add up at this time. Maybe in the future, as the saying goes never-say-never.

Rob

sorry rob, I have been busy but I support you!!! And unless We are climbing 5k or higher I can scream up hill and pass darn near anything I want. The point is why would I want to, It used more fuel and rving is not a drag race. Some of us dont have the wallets required, or want to deal with the smell, or the fuel when cold, zillion filters, big dollar oil changes, experimental emissions headaches, noise, big dollars to repair out of warranty. My 99 was built in march 98 now has 77768 miles, cost 14k in 2005, and was exactly what we wanted and needed, and cost to own is minuscule.

All that said, eventually we will get an oil burner when we are not 30ish with young kids, and much else to spend 60k on. Plus we live 2000 miles from any major Altitude so a turbo diesel is not needed yet. When all you work the bugs out of the new ones and I finish taking notes from all your experiences we will jump on the rattlin band wagon.

back to the original topic :ymhug:
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

Hey Big Bunkhouse,
You got your latest tax deduction on my 64th birthday. Congratulations!
Bill
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Post by markj »

I buy my motorcraft oil filter at walmart and delo 15w40 at costco. around $55 & do it myself. 15 quarts

After reading the 4 pages of posts here, it sure looks like i change it too often--always BEFORE 4000 miles. And, I don't always try to fill the filter with oil--not sure it works cuz the oil just drops down the filter paper (top mounted filter). But, should I just pour oil over the filter until it's as saturated as possible? I hear not putting oil in the filter causes wear in the engine on post startup. I do have the engine hot before changing the oil so oil is up on the engine some.

Any thoughts?
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
dieselfreak21
Cardinal Owners: 2003 Cardinal 32 LX

Post by dieselfreak21 »

Never filled the filter in 03 and the engine hasn't had problem in 163k miles. Same thing with my 99 with 320K. If you use good oil there is enought to project the parts if you drain the oil after it has been circulated and it takes several hours for the oil drain out of all passasges. Now these are Cummins motors if that makes a difference. :d
TV:2003 Ram 2500 QC/LB 4x4 Cummins Powered 5 SPD Hand Shaker. TV MODS: 60 hp injectors, TST, Dual Disk Clutch, Chrome Stacks, Ride Rite Bags, B&W TOB and Companion and 500 hp.
RV:2003 32' Cardinal 32LX rolling on Eagle alloys and Hankook F19's