Chevy Dual Batteries

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

rlhedlund

Chevy Dual Batteries

Post by rlhedlund »

I can find nothing in my owner's manual on the dual batteries. Nothing in the diesel supplement either. Nasty weather, don't want to crawl under it tracing leads.

Question - What battery runs to the starter? Which one powers the accessories?
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Chevy Dual Batteries

Post by campswithcritters »

Both of them power everything as they are hooked in parallel. A diesel engine has a very high compression ratio and requires 2 batteries to crank the engine especially when cold. 2 750 cca batteries can provide 1500 amps for cranking. You can actually remove one battery and it will start a warm diesel if the battery is in good shape. Both should always be replaced at the same time as a weak battery in parallel will draw down a good new battery.

On edit, if working on the truck electrical system always disconnect both negative cables, 1500 amps makes a real powerful unintentional arc welder.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Re: Chevy Dual Batteries

Post by bigbunkhouse »

The positive battery cable on our 97 Ford trucks is over 200 dollars because it is huge, from the starter to the passenger battery to the drivers battery all in cable the diameter of a thumb. Lots of amperage for the diesels.
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10