How often do you change your antifreeze?

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

R & D

How often do you change your antifreeze?

Post by R & D »

Just wondering what most of you do :-\
Rob & Cathy

Re: How often do you change your antifreeze?

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I do what it calls for in the owners manual.

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Haven't kept a truck long enough for it to be an issue for several years. :shock: And I am serious.
With a diesel it is important to have it tested for DCA level from time to time (I get it tested annually). They say that cavitation by a lack of that additive can cause serious engine damage.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I'm doing the same as Rob, following the factory service instructions. AND starting on the next oil change (20k miles), an oil analysis. The 6.0 Ford diesels have a history of internal coolant leaks, the 6.4 diesels don't have the same history of internal leaks as they are a completely different engine, but ...
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

I test every year and replace when needed
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
teallen
Cardinal Owners: 2012 3030
Skype ID: thomas.allen511

Post by teallen »

By the manual and whenever the dealer feels it is necessary.
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2018 RAM 3500
9 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2019 Camping Days- 7
Camping Days - 2011 - 90, 2012 - 144, 2013 - 130, 2014 - 130, 2015 - 107
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Dayna, you guys getting close to a coolant change?

Rob
R & D

Post by R & D »

Roy is going to have it tested.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Come on, the truck has served you well give it a fresh drink instead of sloshing around that old stuff. :)

Rob
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

They have test strips that check coolant SCA / DCA levels, I have seen lees than five year old emergency Diesel engines at work need new blocks due to having low SCA / DCA levels. We now test coolant every year, the engines only ran every week for 30 mins. to test, the blocks had pitting around the cylinders and starting leaking coolant into the oil.

How to Protect your Diesel!
Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCA's) are important to ensure long diesel engine life. Their primary function is to protect the cylinder wall from cavitation erosion (pitting). Secondarily, they bolster the anti-corrosion additives in antifreeze. The purpose of SCA is to prevent cavitation erosion of the cylinder lines. The additive concentration should be checked every 4 months to assure that it is properly maintained. If the coolant system develops a leak that requires additional coolant to be added, the SCA concentration level should be checked and DCA-4 added as required to maintain the 1.5 to 3.0 units per gallon level.

Most all new coolants have a additive in the product but I have found it best to check the protection levels by testing.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Olbird wrote:They have test strips that check coolant SCA / DCA levels, I have seen lees than five year old emergency Diesel engines at work need new blocks due to having low SCA / DCA levels. We now test coolant every year, the engines only ran every week for 30 mins. to test, the blocks had pitting around the cylinders and starting leaking coolant into the oil.

How to Protect your Diesel!
Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCA's) are important to ensure long diesel engine life. Their primary function is to protect the cylinder wall from cavitation erosion (pitting). Secondarily, they bolster the anti-corrosion additives in antifreeze. The purpose of SCA is to prevent cavitation erosion of the cylinder lines. The additive concentration should be checked every 4 months to assure that it is properly maintained. If the coolant system develops a leak that requires additional coolant to be added, the SCA concentration level should be checked and DCA-4 added as required to maintain the 1.5 to 3.0 units per gallon level.

Most all new coolants have a additive in the product but I have found it best to check the protection levels by testing.
Thanks George for getting more into the technical side of what I was trying to get across. Guess after your post I will start checking twice a year at least. Not testing could be the pits!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

I do not want everyone to think this is a big problem, I am just saying check the system once in a while and use a good coolant that you know contains SCA's.
Summary :
Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCAs) are great weapons in the war against premature cooling system failure. They are absolutely necessary in, and required by manufacturers of, heavy diesel engines and some light diesels. Anything bigger than a car is a candidate. You use 1 pint to 4 gallons to start a system, and then "as needed" based on testing after that. A new kind of antifreeze called "fully formulated" antifreeze does not require a pre-charge of SCA because it is already built-in. Test the coolant every 3 to 6 months. Systems that leak a lot or run around the clock may need closer supervision. Ask a QUALIFIED technician at the engine OEM service department for specific recommendations for your engine, get the OEM’s coolant guide.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
R & D

Post by R & D »

Thanks George! Now that's what I'm talkin about!
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

You can purchase the test strips at NAPA or any local diesel repair shop. It is something that anyone can do. There is no reason to pay to have the testing done. The additive can also be purchased from NAPA. The 7.3 Fords are more likely to have cavitation erosion than most others. Ford recommended adding it every 15,000 miles to the 7.3 if you do not want to test the coolant. I have seen 7.3 Fords with 50,000 miles that had to have a new block due to cylinder walls pitting.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

I had the dealer test it every other oil change. That way I had a record IF a problem occurred after warranty.
I will do the same on the new truck. Which I really like. :thumbrt: