First long trip with new truck

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Travelers

First long trip with new truck

Post by Travelers »

Had the opportunity to bond with my new 2011 GMC Sierra the last 3 days. And coming from 30 years of Ford's this could be an eye opener.
I had about 650 mostly street miles when we loaded up to head West. The truck rode real nice on the freeway and the mileage was 15 or so. The air temp was 20 so not sure how that would effect the mpg. Its new so I didn't expect the 20+ I keeping reading about.

After arriving and unloading Diann's gear, I loaded up my grandson Ethan, his gear and sled and off to the meet the group at their church. I got ask to drive as they were one truck short. Sure I'll drive :thumbrt: So off we went on the father / son camp out. The roads got ugly with lake effect snow and the dropping temperature. After about a 90 minute drive of a combination of freeway and side roads, we stopped in the middle of a road. Not sure where we were as the only thing displayed on my Garmin was my truck. The leader walked back to say this is where we turn off to go about 2 miles back in to the cabin. OK. A dually on Michelin street tires in 15" of snow is NOT the ideal vehicle. So I said sure. If I get stuck, we got enough help to get me unstuck. :-ss :-ss

The first two trucks that knew the trail started in and called when they were 1/2 mile in. They broke the trail and I just made it real wide. The truck handle quite well in the snow. Having 600 more foot pounds of torque that I needed sure taught me how to drive in snow with street tires. We made it just fine. I think the kids enjoyed the drive back to the cabin as much as I did. It was -4* so the snow was pretty powdery. AND by the way, the other 4 drivers bet against me making it.

After an afternoon, night and day full of activities, it was time to leave. We had another 6" of snow and I was the first truck out. Well we made it. Not without some cool driving skills (too much torque will do it every time). We needed 4 wheel drive to get back as it was snowing very hard and driving was slow. We arrived back at church without incident. AND I still haven't put fuel in. This Sierra ran fine, and handle whatever I ran across.

Today's test was to pick up my car hauler (5800# empty) and bring it back home - about a 160 mile trip. I ran about 80 miles in the tow haul mode to see how it worked. Not much different and got 10.8 mpg in -10 weather. After stopping to get fuel ($3.49 / gallon) I ran the rest of the way home without tow haul. The truck got 11 mpg and the temp was up to a plus 10. I'm not disapointed at all with the mileage. I now have 1,160 miles.

This Sierra is all that everybody said it would be. I arrived home feeling that I haven't towed anything. Nice job GMC :thumbrt:

Rob & Cathy

Re: First long trip with new truck

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Good report John. Just think that your mileage is going to nothing but go up since you're still in the break-in period. Wait until you 15K-20K I'll bet it will better than it is now. So when you go into four wheel drive aren't you actually going into six wheel drive? :d

Rob
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Thanks Rob.
My grandson was very quick to point out the 6 wheel drive. :thumbrt:
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

glad it is all working out for you! sounds like your decision was a good one for you. :thumbrt: That sounds like a fun trip with the snowy road to the cabin. :mrgreen:
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

P.s. That is awesome you took your grandson, what a great bonding time :ymhug:
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
dieselfreak21
Cardinal Owners: 2003 Cardinal 32 LX

Post by dieselfreak21 »

Sounds like a fun trip. Glad to hear you didn't have urea problems in those temps. Some people claim it is freezing up and leaving them stranded.
TV:2003 Ram 2500 QC/LB 4x4 Cummins Powered 5 SPD Hand Shaker. TV MODS: 60 hp injectors, TST, Dual Disk Clutch, Chrome Stacks, Ride Rite Bags, B&W TOB and Companion and 500 hp.
RV:2003 32' Cardinal 32LX rolling on Eagle alloys and Hankook F19's