Mileage or Power

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Rob & Cathy

Mileage or Power

Post by Rob & Cathy »

If you had the opportunity to get 20% better mileage towing but it cost you 10% of you engine power would you do it?

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: Mileage or Power

Post by Chief409 »

Rob,
Not with all the mountain passes around here. Besides I can't see how that would work towing a heavy rig. If you have plenty of power, and don't "put it to the metal" the engine is not going to be working as hard, thus using less fuel. In practice that's how it's worked out in my experience.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Im going to have to agree with Jeff on this one. Now if you were to ask me when i had my 2006 Cardinal I might feel different about it.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Rob, you are a SNEAKY SON OF A GUN! I was thinking about your question while I was shaving, and it's a darn good thing when I realised the answer I was using a safety razor! :thumbrt:

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

Chief409 wrote:Rob, you are a SNEAKY SON OF A GUN! I was thinking about your question while I was shaving, and it's a darn good thing when I realised the answer I was using a safety razor! :thumbrt:

Jeff
Help me out here Im lost :((
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
fix 7.3 , 6.0 AND now 6.4s Powerstroke diesels.
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Post by EAW »

I want 20% better mileage AND 10% more power. :thumbrt:
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
trninich
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 34 TS 5th Wheel
2000 F-250 Ford with 7.3 L Diesel
Skype ID: Jill and Zvonko

Post by trninich »

I had Banks booster installed on our 2000 Ford F-250 Ext Cab short box, and gained awhole a lot of power. As far I can tell we did not gain any mileage, however we did gain power. I was only concerned with power and not mileage, so I could not tell for sure. 7.3 lt. diesel coupled with 4 speed auto just was not enough and I was for ever dropping gears slowing down to snails pace. Zvonko
Jill & Zvonko
Scappoose, Oregon
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:Rob, If you have plenty of power, and don't "put it to the metal" the engine is not going to be working as hard, thus using less fuel. Jeff
True, but what if under those same conditions you got 20% better mileage than you do now?

Rob
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
Chief409 wrote:Rob, If you have plenty of power, and don't "put it to the metal" the engine is not going to be working as hard, thus using less fuel. Jeff
True, but what if under those same conditions you got 20% better mileage than you do now?

Rob
Rob what MPG do you get now? I see you camp alot, Do you live in the unit or do you travel alot? If you travel that much Then you should get a diesel Just my .02 cents Note I did not say witch one. Any of the big 3 will do it and gane MPG over the V10.
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
fix 7.3 , 6.0 AND now 6.4s Powerstroke diesels.
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

OK Rob, here is my guess.

1. Slow down
2. Treat the accelerator like it has an egg taped to it. No abrupt throttle movements.
3. Don't use the cruise control. Some drivers get better MPG manually, most don't. If you fall under the latter category, use the cruise control.

and ...

4. Always drive downhill, with a stiff tailwind. :ymdevil:

These are the only things I can think of that you can change, without changing the physical condition of the engine, truck and trailer. Combined they should increase the MPG, bearing in mind the conditions of #3, with less power.

And if the rig is already tapped out for power, none of these will work. Then you get a diesel. :D
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Diesel Dave 04 wrote:Rob what MPG do you get now? I see you camp alot, Do you live in the unit or do you travel alot? If you travel that much Then you should get a diesel Just my .02 cents
LOL, believe me Dave I appreciate your two cents.

I get a steady 8 mpg per tank full. But to spend the money on a diesel to get 2-4 mpg more and be the first to the top of the hill and the higher fuel cost and the higher maintenance cost.... I just don't see giving up a truck that I paid cash for six years ago and have been towing this trailer with for five and half years with zero problems. Believe me, every time I go to the dealer for an oil change I look at the new trucks and I've tossed around the idea of getting a new truck now that we're retired and doing more camping but I just cannot justify it. Plus these new diesel are getting awfully complicated with regens and DEF etc. Maybe in three or four years when my truck is a little older. But, never say never.

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:OK Rob, here is my guess.

1. Slow down
2. Treat the accelerator like it has an egg taped to it. No abrupt throttle movements.
3. Don't use the cruise control. Some drivers get better MPG manually, most don't. If you fall under the latter category, use the cruise control.

and ...

4. Always drive downhill, with a stiff tailwind. :ymdevil:

These are the only things I can think of that you can change, without changing the physical condition of the engine, truck and trailer. Combined they should increase the MPG, bearing in mind the conditions of #3, with less power.

And if the rig is already tapped out for power, none of these will work. Then you get a diesel. :D
LOL, this isn't about me Jeff.

I'm simply asking if anyone would be willing give up 10% of their engine power in exchange for 20% more fuel economy if they could.

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:Rob, you are a SNEAKY SON OF A GUN! I was thinking about your question while I was shaving,
Jeff, have you been watching The Hunt For Red October again? =))

Rob
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Rob I paid almost $300 for a Banks intake system knowing it would give me horsepower but probably not milage so YES I would go for power. The milage has not increased more than .3 of a mile per gallon.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

I think we all would if that was the option, we have all had 10% less power than we have now and most way more than that. The power we had before did the job and did it fine, so did the older brakes, non computer controls and trucks that actually had to be driven but now most people think that the newest technology, most power is the only thing that will do the job. I for one would give up 10% to get 20%, I drive a 5.4L f250 work truck, it has towed 5ers, haulded everything, pulles a 10k enclosed trailer daily and plows snow by the foot all up to its current 230k miles with ZERO problems. Now I could accelerate faster, maintain higher speeds uphill and NOT push any more snow (we are all traction limited not power) if I had 10% more power but who needs any of that. 20% more economy would net me approx $8000 in unspent fuel costs over the life of my truck so far.

Think about it, the now 400 hp diesels, remember towing with just 250hp? thats 37.5% less and it did the job, and if you never had 400 hp you would not miss it.
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10