Mileage or Power

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: Mileage or Power

Post by Chief409 »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
Chief409 wrote:Rob, you are a SNEAKY SON OF A GUN! I was thinking about your question while I was shaving,
Jeff, have you been watching The Hunt For Red October again? =))

Rob
No, but I might tonite! Been watching the Daytona going on's today. On the 'Birds HDTV. :)
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote: Been watching the Daytona going on's today. On the 'Birds HDTV. :)
Doesn't get any better than that. :thumbrt:

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Chief409 wrote:
Rob & Cathy wrote:
Chief409 wrote:Rob, you are a SNEAKY SON OF A GUN! I was thinking about your question while I was shaving,
Jeff, have you been watching The Hunt For Red October again? =))

Rob
No, but I might tonite! Been watching the Daytona going on's today. On the 'Birds HDTV. :)
'sides, I've always loved that line. The movie came out while we were using Russian boomers as training aids. :d
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

bigbunkhouse wrote:I think we all would if that was the option, we have all had 10% less power than we have now and most way more than that. The power we had before did the job and did it fine, so did the older brakes, non computer controls and trucks that actually had to be driven but now most people think that the newest technology, most power is the only thing that will do the job. I for one would give up 10% to get 20%, I drive a 5.4L f250 work truck, it has towed 5ers, haulded everything, pulles a 10k enclosed trailer daily and plows snow by the foot all up to its current 230k miles with ZERO problems. Now I could accelerate faster, maintain higher speeds uphill and NOT push any more snow (we are all traction limited not power) if I had 10% more power but who needs any of that. 20% more economy would net me approx $8000 in unspent fuel costs over the life of my truck s o far.

Think about it, the now 400 hp diesels, remember towing with just 250hp? thats 37.5% less and it did the job, and if you never had 400 hp you would not miss it.
I started towing with a '48 Dodge with a flat head 6 and a 4 speed tranny with a granny 1st gear. It got the job done, but would I go back, Heck NO! The current trucks are so much futher advanced, it isn't even fair to compair them, even against the 2000 trucks. I have a '08 5.4 F250 work truck with over 120,000 miles on it. I love it, but would I consider it as a 5er puller - NO. For the ' same reason I went to a diesel from a F250 V10 power. I get 10 mpg with the 6.4 with a heavy (8200#) dually pulling the 'Bird, with the V10 the average was less then 8 mpg. My foot was constantly on the floor, and I'd be seeing 45 mph or less - but with winds around 40 mph and living at an elevation of 2400' ... At times I'd see less then 6 MPG. However driving habits are what determine mpg. And everyone has THEIR choice - so far.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

So far off topic, not going back to a 48 dodge just loosing 10 % power. All you have to do is go from a 2011 GMC duramax to a 2011 DODGE CTD and you lost 10% power actually more, 350 is 12.5% less than 400 hp and if it would get 20% more mileage thats all we are talking about. when you are talking 10mpg your only looking at 12mpg after the increase. AND of course the new trucksd are more advanced and safe and cozy the example was just listed for the HORSEPOWER we all used just a few years ago to get the job done not the rest of the truck and if you did nothing to your current truck but drop a few HP even 10%---99% of you would not know the difference. 10% of 350 is only 35 HP and your engines can vary that much on a day to day basis by environmental, fuel, and things like if you have your AC on or not. It surprises me that everybody is not saying YES to this, 10% is negligible to almost all of us in the seat of the pants meter. dont be scared kiddos you can still be the first to the top of the mountain with a mere 360hp and 720 lbft of torque :-? :-?
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

LOL you guys keep bringing up "first to the top of the hill" Personally I really dont care how fast i get to the top of the hill just that I get there. I have always been a believer that its better to have more HP then you need so you dont have your foot to the floor trying to get up that hill producing more heat that will eventually take its toll on an engine. Many years ago I owned a 1985 Ford with the 300 six in it, went from a tent trailer to a small 24' bunkhouse. Well going up the passes we have around here bees would pass me by going up the hills and after several years of holding up traffic on short weekend trips the engine gave up the ghost.

This year going to Yellowstone with my Chevy was the first time I have not felt tired from driving. Not having to think ahead so much to get a run at the hill and not worrying about coming down the other side made it really nice. I did not buy this truck for good mileage I bought it to hopefully get me to where I am going and beat me up getting there. Oh and buy the way I still get the same average mileage towing now as I did with my first diesel in 1994, its always the same with every diesel I have owned.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

I am a strong believer in too much power also, the way the Banks 6 shooter works I think would be great for alot of people, set on 1 to cruise and get great economy and 6 when your 8000ft up and need 8 zillion HP. Your all exagerating here, we are talking 10% not 50 or 75% just 10%. I have never and will never be first to the top and would not even if I had the most power, but for all you with exhast brakes...i bet i'll catch ya on the way down.... YIKES LOL

Happy motoring
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

LOL I will remember to get out of your way.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

bigbunkhouse wrote: but for all you with exhast brakes...i bet i'll catch ya on the way down.... YIKES LOL
I've never had any concerns going down hill but I have a lighter trailer and a Torque Shift transmission.

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

bigbunkhouse wrote:It surprises me that everybody is not saying YES to this, 10% is negligible to almost all of us in the seat of the pants meter. dont be scared kiddos you can still be the first to the top of the mountain with a mere 360hp and 720 lbft of torque :-? :-?
That surprised me too especially the way fuel prices are increasing.

Rob
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Rob,
Sounds like a new Ford with the new GAS engine is in your future. :))

My '05 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 cc averaged 10.2 mpg for our 5k mile Yellowstone / Glacier trip. When we arrived home, we were delighted that we had no truck issues. The warranty had expired 2 months earlier. Having a major or minor breakdown on the road could cost you a bundle. That's the reason we have a 2011 truck. Yes, its complicated with lots of components to meet the EPA mandated regulations. But it has a warranty. Yes we used it on this trip for a frozen DEF tank. It cost me 4 hours at a dealership. ZERO $$$ out of my pocket. :d

Until VVT on diesels for our trucks becomes available, your going to get what you get.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Travelers wrote:Rob,
Sounds like a new Ford with the new GAS engine is in your future. :))
LOL, I don't see that in my future John as I already have a perfectly good gas engine that's been out of warranty for three years.

If I decide to get a new truck in two or three years AND we're still RVing I'll probable go with a diesel. Once we're out of RVing I'd go back to gas.

Rob
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
Chief409 wrote:OK Rob, here is my guess.

1. Slow down
2. Treat the accelerator like it has an egg taped to it. No abrupt throttle movements.
3. Don't use the cruise control. Some drivers get better MPG manually, most don't. If you fall under the latter category, use the cruise control.

and ...

4. Always drive downhill, with a stiff tailwind. :ymdevil:

These are the only things I can think of that you can change, without changing the physical condition of the engine, truck and trailer. Combined they should increase the MPG, bearing in mind the conditions of #3, with less power.

And if the rig is already tapped out for power, none of these will work. Then you get a diesel. :D
LOL, this isn't about me Jeff.

I'm simply asking if anyone would be willing give up 10% of their engine power in exchange for 20% more fuel economy if they could.

Rob

I would certainly give up 10% power for 20% fuel economy. And even moreso when fuel hits $5 a gallon. The Duramax has enough power to give up 10%.
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Having upgraded from a '05 SRW short box crew cab 4x4 Ford F250 diesel to a bigger '11 GMC 3500 long box, crew cab, 4x4 dually diesel, I know I up 20% in power :d :d and 10% in mileage (tank to tank). :d The final numbers will be determined after we get home. So far :thumbrt:
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

There is ONE accessory which will affect power and mileage, the airconditioner. I didn't need to use it on our last trip until the last day going south on I5 with the sun on the windshield. With a boost gauge you get to see how much power is being used by one when you get used to a low boost and good MPG and then see the boost go higher when the airconditioner is turned on, no matter what speed you try to cruise at. Especially as most of the trip was in light or no wind conditions on a relatively flat road. But I'll use the airconditioner when needed. It's easier to stay alert and attentive while driving with it on.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret