Another tire question?

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

honker

Another tire question?

Post by honker »

Sorry to ask this, but I need expert advise. I have read so many of the posts about tires for the trailer. We need to get new tires for the truck. We want a tire that will be good for towing, BUT we need a tire that will hold up to dirt road driving as well. We will be using this truck to tow as well as driving up and down a dirt road. Any suggestions as to what will hold up that has a good sturdy sidewall for dirt roads. Thanks so much guys...........Couldn't find alot of the past posts. Sorry to ask this again....................... :( Karen
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: Another tire question?

Post by Chief409 »

Karen, I've used both the Goodrich Radial All Terrain and the Goodyear equivalent on the work trucks. The Goodrich tires have better traction when the dirt gets muddy or in loose sand, then the Goodyear tires but you loose 1 mpg or so compared to the Goodyear's becuase of the higher rolling resistance of the Goodrich tires. I replace either brand at around 40,000 miles. They could go futher, but 40k is where they start getting chunks taken out the tread by all the rocks I drive on instead of just rolling over the rocks without tread damage.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
honker

Post by honker »

Thanks Jeff, the road is in No. Arizona, lots of rocks, and mud when it rains. The truck is not a 4x4 so we don't go when its real muddy, but we do drive the roads and it is our tow truck too. Want what would be the best for both worlds. Do you know much about the Michelin LTX AT2 compared to the Goodrich. :?:
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

honker wrote:Thanks Jeff, the road is in No. Arizona, lots of rocks, and mud when it rains. The truck is not a 4x4 so we don't go when its real muddy, but we do drive the roads and it is our tow truck too. Want what would be the best for both worlds. Do you know much about the Michelin LTX AT2 compared to the Goodrich. :?:
The All Terrain's are a good compromise on/off road tire. About the LTX AT2 tires, just second hand from my brother in law. Pretty much the same as Goodrich, but more expensive. Check with America's Tire in Lancaster, I bought the Michelin XPS Ribs for the 'Bird there, and all my truck tires. They have the best prices and warranty around these parts (they WILL beat WallyWorld advertised prices :ymdevil: ), plus stores all over the nation for warranty, tire rotation, etc. And tire rotation is FREE. :D
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
honker

Post by honker »

Chief409 wrote:
honker wrote:Thanks Jeff, the road is in No. Arizona, lots of rocks, and mud when it rains. The truck is not a 4x4 so we don't go when its real muddy, but we do drive the roads and it is our tow truck too. Want what would be the best for both worlds. Do you know much about the Michelin LTX AT2 compared to the Goodrich. :?:
The All Terrain's are a good compromise on/off road tire. About the LTX AT2 tires, just second hand from my brother in law. Pretty much the same as Goodrich, but more expensive. Check with America's Tire in Lancaster, I bought the Michelin XPS Ribs for the 'Bird there, and all my truck tires. They have the best prices and warranty around these parts (they WILL beat WallyWorld advertised prices :ymdevil: ), plus stores all over the nation for warranty, tire rotation, etc. And tire rotation is FREE. :D
Will do, thanks for your help
The-Bear
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS31RL. a.k.a. Cardinal 29WB LX

Post by The-Bear »

I haven't run BFGs on my tow vehicle (I run Michelin on my TV and BFG Commercials on my trailer), but I ran BFG ATs on my Jeep several years ago. I MUCH preferred them to the Goodyear Wrangler ATs that came on the Jeep for three reasons: 1) They lasted twice as long, 2) They cost about half as much, 3) They had stronger sidewalls (more plies) and were much less prone to rock damage on the sidewalls when I drove off-road. I cut the sidewall on one of the original Wranglers but never cut a BFG.

The sidewall strength and cut-resistance to rocks for off-road probably doesn't relate to your use, but there you are anyway.

P.S. When you drive on paved highways, expect the ATs (of any brand) to make a lot more noise. Those suckers roar at highway speeds.
Woody & Sandy
2005 Americana GS 31RL

a.k.a. Cardinal 29WBLX
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

We run all BFG a/t on all 15 plow trucks sans 2 because they came with others that still had life. We have tried others and always come back. I have also had them on all personal trucks for 19 years, ZERO flats, great tread life and not loud or bumpy. We run them on the rear of the 2wd 1 ton dumps for the dump areas are MUDDY and plowing with 2wd is not a problem. We air the tires down on the rears of all plow trucks in the winter and that makes em even bettere in snow and mud, but pump em back up for the highway and nice ride. In my personal trucks I run EQUAL tire balancing media that actively balances the tires and my ride and tread life are better than conventional weights
Try going to tire rack.com and put in your size and select A/T style they are good to compare prices.
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

HIJACK ALEART Matt, how's the family? END HIJACK ALERT ;)
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

bigbunkhouse wrote:In my personal trucks I run EQUAL tire balancing media that actively balances the tires and my ride and tread life are better than conventional weights.
I've never heard of that before. I sounds like an interesting product.

Rob
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Chief409 wrote:HIJACK ALEART Matt, how's the family? END HIJACK ALERT ;)

We are all doing great! I will try to post some pics of the munchkin tomorrow, we took a 110mile road trip each way in the dually today to visit some great friends and brought Shyanne on her first snow sleding adventure so we have some great pics.

Thanks for asking :thumbrt:
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
bigbunkhouse wrote:In my personal trucks I run EQUAL tire balancing media that actively balances the tires and my ride and tread life are better than conventional weights.
I've never heard of that before. I sounds like an interesting product.

Rob

it is great! once you use it you will never go back, no more ugly weights or chipped clear on the rims. the taller the tires the better it works, my 35's on the f250 with 230k ride smooth and strait. I got well over 60 k on mud tires driven cross country twice in the heat of july (15000 miles of exhaustion) with no abnormal wear. My tire dude charges me the same as conventional balancing to get the media for me. On my 3rd set in the 250 with it and first in the dually, LOVE IT! :thumbrt: