5th wheel hitch

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Re: 5th wheel hitch

Post by WVcampers »

I think that the tow vehicles are so much different that it is hard to design one pin that will work with all. I just changed from 08 Dodge to 2011 Ford. I had everything set as high as possible with the Dodge and had very minimum clearance. With the same hitch and nothing changed on the trailer or hitch, nothing is close to hitting anything on the Ford. I did not get a chance to measure anything, but the bed of the Dodge must be much deeper than the Ford. I would guess that the Chevy is different also. The hitch location is also based on axel location. On the Dodge I would have to keep the tail gate open with the hitch slid back to keep the pin box from hitting the top of the tailgate, on the Ford it will clear. I know that the Ford bed is 6" longer, the added lenght must be behind the rear axel.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Re: 5th wheel hitch

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

Well I didnt hear it or feel it but when i made a tight right my hitch hit the bed rail, it only put a large nick in it, but never the less I will be doing some mods to it real soon. Im either going to cut it or I was looking at redrilling the holes and slide the pin box back 4 inches. either way will fix the issue for me.
Im thinking the cutting would be faster and easyer.
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
fix 7.3 , 6.0 AND now 6.4s Powerstroke diesels.