Better Mileage

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Better Mileage

Post by Traveler II »

I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve not the most mechanically minded, so please explain in simple terms.

We have a 2008 Chevy Duramax. We have about 50,000 miles on it and it’s done a great job of pulling our rig. We would like to increase the power and also the mileage.

I’ve read about adding “chips” also I’ve read about some different products that Banks makes to improve what I’m asking for. From your experience what is a good way to go to meet our objectives? What works, and what doesn’t?
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Rob & Cathy

Re: Better Mileage

Post by Rob & Cathy »

IMO they're all snake oil. Just be as easy as you can be with the throttle and drive at a constant, and slower, speed.

Rob
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Well, put simply.....you Cannot increase power, and Mileage. :-B If you increase "power", you will use that for a " rush", because you will be stomping the "Go pedal" more :ymcowboy: (been there, done that in my younger day's) \M/

Now, you can increase efffiency, by adding things like "Banks" intake, exhaust, power chips....etc................... BUT................you have to drive a lot of miles , to relise the "savings"

Say you spend $1500-$2500 on Improvements............................and get , oh say 1 MPG improvement. Now, even 1 MPG is fantastic , if you are talking 9 MPG (10 percent improvement)............but, how many miles are you going to have to drive just to "pay" for the improvement , and then ...start saving money, by the increased mileage.

Now, add to the problem, with the U.L.S.D. ...............there is simply less POWER avail. in todays fuel. They cleaned up the Sulpher, but it has less "cetane", I.E. Less bank=Less power.

So, there it is in a nutshell.......................it costs a lot of money, to save just a bit of money. (not at all like the old days), vehicles were so in-efficient you added headers, intake, better air filter, etc............ you got better mileage (if you kept your foot out of it) :))

Todays vehicles are tuned, Fuel injected to be so efficeint, about all you can really do , is make improvements to make more use of the powwer avail..............BUT, if you really stomp it, you will use more fuel.

THe Power chips, dial in , etc .............. is to make more power, so when you need it (like passing), you have a reserve ...when you mash it.

Does this make sense??? Help any ???
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

If my first priority was to increase power what would you suggest? I see you can't increase milage and power ^:)^
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Well, friends who have Dura-max's have "Chipped" thiers, and love the results. (one of my friends even got a ticket from the Lansing Police (Mi) ) for "Smoking " his tires with his 2500 HD Duramax :)) ...............He said he got carried away with all the power, and just kept turning it up.

So, I would prob. go with a "Tuner" box. I believe Mike could tell you about the one he used to have.(dont know if he still has it)

Juice, Edge , are the names I have heard them say. My cummins has a old fashioned fuel plate, so it has been " Tweaked "(before I got it, of course) ;) I did dust a corvete once .......(at the launch)..............................He was surprised :-O :-O 8-X
Torben

Post by Torben »

I remember that day =))
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Torben wrote:I remember that day =))
At least you are a sport about it . :thumbrt: =)) =)) =))
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

I had two programs in my 2005 Ford 6.0L. One for economy (2-3mpg improvement) and the other for more towing power. The economy tune just leans it out and it actual made 25 more hp and 45 more tq. The towing tune added 75hp / 125tq with a 1 mpg cost to OEM tuned mpg. That was a $800 cost for the sct tuner and 3 hours on a chassis dyno. A good tuner will find you the best economy and power. Then you need to drive it conservatively. That is where you'll make the biggest difference in mpg.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well if you want to be your own warranty station go ahead but I sure would not do anything. My 08 had all the power I needed for towing our 3150 at 14k and got an average of 11.6 mpg doing it.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

Good to know, thanks for the help -- I think I will leave well enough alone.
Jim & Jane
dieselfreak21
Cardinal Owners: 2003 Cardinal 32 LX

Post by dieselfreak21 »

If you want to see a mileage increase and power increase at the same time you want performance tuner that has the ability to increase timing. Due to EPA concerns they retard the timming of the injection event to control emissions. This in turn causes them to make up for the lost power by increasing the duration of the injection event using more fuel. Most of the performance tunners change both timing and injection duration. So the boxes are not snake oil and I wouldn't go with Banks. The air intakes and such usually don't yield any power or fuel economy. They can help lower EGT and help with spool up if done properly which help you add more fuel for more power and give slightly better throttel response as the turbo can spool faster.

If you really want to add fuel mileage on EPA engines you really need to remove the EGR system and DPF and then a tunner that puts more realistic timming curves.

With my truck at the factory power the best mileage I could ever get running 70-75 empty was about 16-17. Once I put a tunner on it and adjusted the timming I know get consistant 19-20 empty. Towing with out the added timming was consistant at 10mpg with the rv. With a timming program with added power for towning but with out pushing the limits to far I consitantly see 12mpg + unless fighting a head wind. This is driving 65-70 mph. These speeds keep the engine in it sweet spot. Going slower or faster has decrease fuel mileage. Faster for obvious reason, but slower due to more lugging and down shifting.

Now doing all of this isn't that cheap. A good box will set you back 8 bills and epa equipement removal will be another 5 bills. But removing the epa stuff will help with engine longevity as well. Timing does increase cyclender pressure and does raise piston crown temps a little more but if you drive by your EGT gauge you shouldn't have a problem.
TV:2003 Ram 2500 QC/LB 4x4 Cummins Powered 5 SPD Hand Shaker. TV MODS: 60 hp injectors, TST, Dual Disk Clutch, Chrome Stacks, Ride Rite Bags, B&W TOB and Companion and 500 hp.
RV:2003 32' Cardinal 32LX rolling on Eagle alloys and Hankook F19's
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Dieselfreak
That is a lot of information and a person would have to be very serious about wanting to increase the power and mileage to make those modifications and spend that kind of money. Is that cost if you do it yourself or have it done?

There is another problem for anyone from California removing your EPA equipment in California would cost big time because they are now making you smog your diesel and what is the first thing they look for :?: You guessed it modifications that bypass the EPA smog devices.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I'd be very careful as I believe removing the EGR and/or the DPF is illegal and changes to the engine setting could jeopardize your warranty.

Rob
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Rob & Cathy wrote:I'd be very careful as I believe removing the EGR and/or the DPF is illegal and changes to the engine setting could jeopardize your warranty.

Rob
You would carry the warranty once you did this.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

At the very least.

Rob