Better Mileage

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

dieselfreak21
Cardinal Owners: 2003 Cardinal 32 LX

Re: Better Mileage

Post by dieselfreak21 »

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. Been super busy and it isn't camping. :(( . As for removing the EPA stuff yes in some states it is illegal and could carry fines so there is some risk. When it comes time to get inspection you would have to put the stuff back on in most states. Most of the time the people doing the inspections have no idea what they are looking for and with electronic tuner you can turn the power off and a couple will even detune the power so there is no smoke at all and will usually pass sniffer test if your state does that. Since some of the tunners mess with the ECM they turn the emission side of the computer off and it will pass an obdII test in most cases . As for disabling the EGR most companies that involes installing a plate to block it and is done fairly easily on chevy and dodges, easiest on the dodge. Fords are more of challenge. Most don't require the EGR componets to be remove so they still are thier on a visual inspection.

Because the DPF will fail long before your exhaust will, they bolt to the exhaust on most models. I can't speak to the newer fords or chevy's as I haven't gotten underone yet but the new dodges they are direct bolt on. Once you have blocked the egr and removed the dpf the tuners can turn those function off and you don't get any codes and regen cycle (big fuel waster and hard on the engine) stops. If you have urea injection you are up a creek and have to live with that for a few more year till they can crack the computer code since if the tank runs out it disables the truck and disconnecting it does the same thing.

As for warranty they would have to prove removing the emission stuff caused the failure, same with the tunner. I had a power steering pump fail and the dealer said it wouldn't be covered because of my chip, but talking to dodge and the dealer owner took care of it. (i usually just fix it is my self but was on the road with out a tool box L-) )

Price updates for a dodge. To get either of the 2 chips on the market to give power and turn off the emissions stuff is between 6-900 depending if you want guages or not. EGR blocking plates and DPF delete are about 200. This is doing it your self. Figure 1-2 hours of labor if want to have shop do it. More time on the ford and chevy since they as easy to get to. Also the EGR blocking makes the engine break more effective as well.

Benifits: MPG increase in all situations. Depending on how you drive and what power level will determing how much. Some people gaing 4-6mpg. Engine longevity is increased due to many factors. The Regen cycle for the DPF alters timing and turbo drive pressure to create heat. Alot of heat. This heat can cause piston damage and turbo damage. If you are pulling a big grade with a fully loaded trailer on a hot sunny day and it decieded to regen on your you can get over 2000 degrees + and insane piston crown temps. This in turn can start melting the fins on your turbo. Now this won't happen alot and may not happen ever but the potential is there and they haven't been around long enough to get 500k miles yet. Look at your oil color after say 1000 miles and compare it to non emission diesel after 1000 miles. It will shock you how dirty the oil is on these new clearn trucks and they recommend oil changes 5-7k miles. I can't wait to see bearing wear at 100k on a new truck compared to an old truck. Another thing that proved it for me was I took air intake horn off my truck when I was doing some modification. Clean as a whistle after 100k miles. When we modified my buddies truck after 10k miles there was a thick layer of soot coating the intake plenume. Poor truck starving for air.

I want clean air as much as the next guy but not for the sake of my motor. Also with less fuel mileage are we really being that much friendlier to the eviroment.

Just one man's opinion and the advise is free so you get what you pay for and responsible for any choices you make.
TV:2003 Ram 2500 QC/LB 4x4 Cummins Powered 5 SPD Hand Shaker. TV MODS: 60 hp injectors, TST, Dual Disk Clutch, Chrome Stacks, Ride Rite Bags, B&W TOB and Companion and 500 hp.
RV:2003 32' Cardinal 32LX rolling on Eagle alloys and Hankook F19's
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Its a federal offense with a very heavy fine. Not worth it, would not do it. Plus if I could pull olbirds trailer up a 7% grade from pretty much a standing start and then to down the other side with no problems in my 08 and got over 11 mpg doing it you should have no problems with your truck. Plus when we went back to Wyoming to pick up the new trailer then on to Durango for the rally had to go over Wolf Creek pass which is listed in the top 10 toughest pulls in the US then up and down dead mans pass with no problems. My 08 had tons of power it was the lack of an exhaust brake that made it a little more white knuckled going down the other side but it did fine.

#3.Wolf Creek Pass, Southeastern Colorado
#7.Emigrant Hill, ( Cabbage Hill or Deadman Pass), I84, Oregon

Long story longer DONT TOUCH IT.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Thanks MIke, I plan to leave it as it is.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
snoking

Post by snoking »

Mike knows that we call it a slippery slop over on the Dodge site. I will just add this little timing box! Maybe a bigger turbo! Maybe I should get a better exhaust manifold! OH yeah, I spend 400 on gauges! Now I need a custom tranny, with a deep pan! Yesterday I ordered a SS exhaust system! Maybe I should trade out the timing box for one that fuels also! Now I need another BIGGER turbo! And the beat goes on!

For me it was.

1. 3rd gen track bar 300
2. Steering box brace 200
3. Gauges 300
4. Another gauge 100
5. Better lift pump 200
6. Magnaflow SS 4" exhaust 400
6. Custom tranny with billet output shaft and second gear cage, Smart controller for the tranny, injectors and Edge Comp 6600 (in a single stop at DTT)
7. Banks 4" exhaust brake and two Banks SS 4" exhaust pipes to marry to the Magnaflow 1000
8. PDR35-12W turbo 650

But hey with around 325hp and 650 ft lbs at the rear wheels it tows good!!!! I last dyno'd it before the PDR35 and fixing the throttle cable.
:ymparty: :mrgreen: :bounce: :lol:

The dyno run on 2/27/2005 was interesting. I dyno'd at 283.6HP and 596.4 ft lbs at the rear wheels. The truck was 245/460 at the crank as built by Dodge. Readings at the crank are around 17 percent higher than at the rear wheels that the dyno reads. So I had a fair increase (around 80HP and 200+ Torque), but still had the very small HY-35 turbo that came on the auto trucks and had to watch EGT's towing. Then one day I notice that the cruise control gave the truck a lot more power on the hills than the throttle pedal. Reading on the TDR site I learned that on the second gen 24V trucks a lot of them had to much slack in the throttle cable. A couple fishing split sinkers crimped on the cable under the dash provided the missing HP and torque.

All of this is with the Edge Comp injector pump tap wire NOT connected, just timing! Connect that I and have another 100HP that I can not cool with the PDR35-12W turbo. Get a bigger Turbo and the Banks exhaust brake will not bolt up! :((

Gets around 12 flatland towing and 19 bobtail at 60 with 4:10 gears! The careful use of extra power can yeld better mileage. Trick to mileage is speed.

I fairness to me, the RE47 stock tranny was a weak link and I had it custom built for towing at 32K (before any problems) so that I could install the exhaust brake and tow the larger trailer. The truck is very driveable, is fun to drive and I keep the timing box set at the middle setting, so it burns clean.

So the short answer is leave it alone! =)) =)) =))

Chris
Last edited by snoking on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Oh Chris I remember those days all to well, I know you remember my 01 that I used as a show truck in fact beat John's famous truck "midnight" or "blackout" (getting old) in the peoples choice award at Timberline Dodge. I remember with that truck putting injectors in then a 4 inch exhaust then what do you mean my clutch is slipping. :( Southbend clutch great now I cant back up my 5er ok Bob sell me your 4 low kit and the list went on. It only took 4 trucks :oops: of that stuff until I became a member of k.i.s.s.

See now you have me thinking about 100 years ago =)) Susanna was very proud of winning this since she is the one that had everything made for the truck

Ok back to better mileage :d
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

teallen
Cardinal Owners: 2012 3030
Skype ID: thomas.allen511

Post by teallen »

My 250 has 46k and is getting its best gas mileage since I bought it in 2008, my trip out to Minneapolis was 12 mpg, I read somewhere to drive at 60mph to get your best mileage so that is what I drive.
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2018 RAM 3500
9 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2019 Camping Days- 7
Camping Days - 2011 - 90, 2012 - 144, 2013 - 130, 2014 - 130, 2015 - 107
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Last year as we travelled to Yellowstone, the mpg picked up once we left MI, IN and IL. Not sure if the fuel quality is different outside of these states. We got close to 12 mpg in MN, SD, WY, MT and ND. Once we got to WI and MI, the mileage went down. IMO its fuel quality and how you drive. All of those add -ons will gain you power and mpg. But come with a risk. A risk I won't take on my 2011 GMC.
snoking

Post by snoking »

Mike Clay wrote:Oh Chris I remember those days all to well, I know you remember my 01 that I used as a show truck in fact beat John's famous truck "midnight" in the peoples choice award at Timberline Dodge. I remember with that truck putting injectors in then a 4 inch exhaust then what do you mean my clutch is slipping. :( Southbend clutch great now I cant back up my 5er ok Bob sell me your 4 low kit and the list went on. It only took 4 trucks :oops: of that stuff until I became a member of k.i.s.s.

See now you have me thinking about 100 years ago =)) Susanna was very proud of winning this since she is the one that had everything made for the truck

Ok back to better mileage :d
Mike if that was the summer of 2001, I drove down to Portland in a brand new truck to see all the trucks at Timberline Dodge show-n-shine! First road trip in it. 19.5 mpg! I remember your entry! I was so proud of the new truck until I got there and saw all the custom rigs!!!! =)) =))

Chris
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Yep July 14th 2001
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

And you boys choke when us girls want to spend a couple of $$ on a piece of jewelry....... whazzupwidat???
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Like I said Susanna picked out everything she wanted on this truck. Did all the research and then grabbed my credit card :(
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

teallen
Cardinal Owners: 2012 3030
Skype ID: thomas.allen511

Post by teallen »

Double D's wrote:And you boys choke when us girls want to spend a couple of $$ on a piece of jewelry....... whazzupwidat???

Donna, the jewelry doesn't have that great smell of diesel fuel -- you know - "the smell of victory" :d :d
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2018 RAM 3500
9 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2019 Camping Days- 7
Camping Days - 2011 - 90, 2012 - 144, 2013 - 130, 2014 - 130, 2015 - 107
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

HIJACK ALERT! =))

Rob
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

NO, but it DOES have the smell of "HAPPY WIFE"!! We like being spoiled, even if we have to do it ourselves! LOL!
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Sorry but the 2001 Dodge did get great mileage while towing. :d but with the large injectors I really had to watch the heat.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32