Removing Hitch From Truck Bed

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

pattersonb

Re: Removing Hitch From Truck Bed

Post by pattersonb »

I've got a Reese 16k sliding hitch that weighs approximately 100 lbs. I remove my tailgate, set a wood ramp on the rear bumper, and pull the hitch up with a rope. The ramp is wide enough to prevent the hitch from sliding off to one side. I made it with some 2X4's and OSB. I put a piece of OSB in the truck bed just in front of the ramp so that the hitch doesn't scratch anything as it's being pulled inside. Once in the bed, the hitch is easy to maneuver around without having to lift it. I'm able to set it in the bracket holes and insert the pins with no trouble. Removing the truck's tailgate may seem a little cumbersome, but it's easy to do, and seems to work for me.
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

Right now, mine is hanging from the pin box. I need the bed for hauling stuff at work, so I prefer not to leave it in the truck. Got use to dropping it right in still attached to the pin box.
Parno
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal a 29WB, 5th Wheel. 3 weeks later a 2008 Dodge Quad Cab with Smoke Motor.
3000 Boliy Generator, 500 watts of solar
1000w Invertor, 2 Golfcart T-105 batteries, Bogart 2025 Charge indicator
Moryde ISR suspension (Best thing we;ve done!)

Post by Parno »

SuperGlide weighs about #400.

It is abut 75% in the front, the hitch will not lift straight up with the pin box.
Peter & Anne-Marie Arnold
Member of Escapee's
National Camping Travelers, A Masonic Camping Group
2005 Cardinal
2008 Dodge RAM W/Smoke Motor
Somewhere, Texas