After Market Fuel Tanks

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

dpalmer
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 3456

Re: After Market Fuel Tanks

Post by dpalmer »

I agree with Mike, my new tank will be for my convenience. 60 plus gallons of gas will get me through a day's drive.
Then set up and go get gas, not having to negotiate the pumps around cars with the bird:thumbrt:
Dave & Karen
2018 3456
2021 F350 XLT, 4x4 Dually
Rallies Attended = 22 and 3 F.R.O.G.
Full-time as of 10/1/2016
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

A warning if you have a transfer flow tank. You tend to forget it has a fuel filter also. I changed mine right before the Jackson rally this year and again yesterday. I was surprised to see it caving in and full of gunk. Well I should have changed it before I left on the big trip since I ended up having over 10k (probably over 1,000 gallons) on the little filter. I also had what looked like rust in the filter so I called transfer flow and they said to keep an eye on it that I could have bacteria in the tank and it could start eating away at the tank. They recommend a bac killer called killem if I notice anymore problems with the filter. I went on ebay and ordered two more filters and will change the new one out when I get back from this 2,000 mile trip coming up in a couple weeks. The transfer pump did come on yesterday and pump 6 gallons out of a very low tank :( through the filter and looked good and clear in the filter.

My truck filter is doing fine and only dropped 16% on our long trip where the oil minder is showing 21% left :shock: Going in for an oil change tomorrow. :d

Will let you know after this next trip how the filter looks.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

dpalmer3 wrote:I agree with Mike, my new tank will be for my convenience. 60 plus gallons of gas will get me through a day's drive.
Then set up and go get gas, not having to negotiate the pumps around cars with the bird:thumbrt:
BIG plus! And no worries about "low canopies" over the pumps. :thumbrt:

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.