After Market Fuel Tanks

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Awfahey
Cardinal Owners: Deceased Cardinal owner

After Market Fuel Tanks

Post by Awfahey »

I have a 2005 GMC Short bed with a 24 gallon gas tank. I am thinking about putting an aftermarket tank as a replacement. Has anyone done this and what are your thoughts?

Should I go for a replacement or an in bed tank?

Al
2005 HD2500 GMC, D/A
2005 Cardinal 30TS
Judy & Al
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

Al,
I have seen some nice looking tanks with extra storage or an area for a generator in magazine adds. I think if I were to do it I would have it plumbed in so the fuel would transfer directly onto the main tank. I would want to be in control of this transfer so I could monitor the level of the remaining fuel in the tank.
Also, you can take better advantage of a lower price.
On the other hand, with my truck I can drive about 6 hours before I'm in real need for fuel. So at about 4-5 hours it's time for a break and some lunch, we will just make the fuel stop part of the break.
It's two more years before we'll be getting a new truck and will make the decision about an aux. tank at that time.
Let us know what you decide.
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Al, I have a transferflow 70 gal aux tank in the bed which I have put to manual controls so I can monitor level. I really love checking fuel prices online and driving through the states with high taxes, not to mention that I only hit a fuel station every 4th day traveling my usual 250 mi per day. If your truck can take the weight legally with rig attached I highly recommend an aux tank, but I am way more impressed with the tank Critterenter recently bought. His has a switch in the cab for selecting the tank and the stock fuel gauge reads from the sender in either tank. That will be the tank in my next truck! PM him for more info, it's an impressive system.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

Al, my aux tank is from American Tank in Frisco TX. I have a 40 gallon tank. The truck runs from the selected tank, factory or aux, and the gauge reads from the selected tank. It gives me 600 miles when pulling, with a little reserve. For the GM they make a bigger tank than I have.
A little more expensive, but I'll get another for my next truck.
Check http://www.auxtank.com/auxtank/home.asp
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I agree with Bop11 that by the time I need fuel I'm ready for a break. With that said, 24 gallons is a small tank for a truck never mind one that is pulling a 5th wheel. I'm not a big fan of tanks in the bed because I use the bed to carry extra items. I would go for a replacement tank if it were me.

Rob
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

If you are looking for a larger replacement tank, look at http://www.transferflow.com/
I think this is where CwC got his aux tank, they also make replacement tanks. They may make a larger one that will fit your truck.
If you don't need the bed space for carring extra stuff, I would recomend the aux tank. But everyone has their own needs. Check out both sites. Be sure to check out if the tank hangs below the frame, if this may be a problem.
Awfahey

Gas Tanks

Post by Awfahey »

Thanks for the replies I have gone to both sites and will probably purchase from one of them.

Al
2005 HD2500 GMC, D/A
2005 Cardinal 30TS
Judy & Al
Anson

Post by Anson »

bop11 wrote:Al,
I have seen some nice looking tanks with extra storage or an area for a generator in magazine adds. I think if I were to do it I would have it plumbed in so the fuel would transfer directly onto the main tank. I would want to be in control of this transfer so I could monitor the level of the remaining fuel in the tank.
Also, you can take better advantage of a lower price.
On the other hand, with my truck I can drive about 6 hours before I'm in real need for fuel. So at about 4-5 hours it's time for a break and some lunch, we will just make the fuel stop part of the break.
It's two more years before we'll be getting a new truck and will make the decision about an aux. tank at that time.
Let us know what you decide.
the only prob, with having it go directly into the tank is that it is Illegal in everystate DO NOT GET CAUGHT, we wanted to put another tank in our truck but the cost of the tank and all the accessories you will need prob will not out weigh the cost of just stopping every 300 Miles. we just toured the country and thought about it and we could not convince ourselves on spending 800 dollars for the set up.
skymyles

Post by skymyles »

[/quote] the only prob, with having it go directly into the tank is that it is Illegal in everystate DO NOT GET CAUGHT, we wanted to put another tank in our truck but the cost of the tank and all the accessories you will need prob will not out weigh the cost of just stopping every 300 Miles. we just toured the country and thought about it and we could not convince ourselves on spending 800 dollars for the set up.[/quote]

HUH? You're kidding, right? What part is illegal?

I have an in the bed Transferflow 50 gallon tank which ONLY dumps fuel directly into the main tank. Legal in Kalifornia, therefore, legal everywhere else.

Did I miss the point of your post?
Torben

After market

Post by Torben »

I have a 2003 Chevy Duramax Short bed- Install the transfer flow tank that go under the bed along the frame 46 gal- Best improvement I have done - now I have some range.
Torben
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Al. Did you ever get a lager capacity tank?

Rob
Awfahey

Post by Awfahey »

Hi Rob. I am still kicking the idea around. I have been busy with work and haven't had time to shop. I also have get myself to justify $1000 or so. I'm sure that I could get along with the other, but a bigger tank would only give me peace of mind and allow us to pick and choose when and where to stop for gas. One concern I have around here is finding a station that is high enough for the Bird.

Al
2005 HD2500 GMC, D/A
2005 Cardinal 30TS
Judy & Al
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Awfahey wrote:I also have get myself to justify $1000 or so. I'm sure that I could get along with the other, but a bigger tank would only give me peace of mind and allow us to pick and choose when and where to stop for gas.l
True, but think how cheap your fill ups are now. :wink:

Rob
Tim

Post by Tim »

When headin out on longer than the usual shorter trip, I just fill one or two 5 gallon diesel fuel cans and stow them in the truck box. Fuel transfer not as easy, but gets the job done.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Since I have to stop and walk the wife every hour (blood clot problems) and the fact I can go 300 miles on a tank is fine for what we do. Six hours of driving a day is plenty for me.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers