Another FYI - On Star Diagnostics

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

rlhedlund

Another FYI - On Star Diagnostics

Post by rlhedlund »

I recently signed up for the free, 6 month On Star deal. Checked my diagnostic report today and it says not available because I may have an aftermarket device plugged into the diagnostic port. I do. A Scan Guage II.
Rob & Cathy

Re: Another FYI - On Star Diagnostics

Post by Rob & Cathy »

That's surprising.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Been that way forever. They can only read certain things if you have a gauge plugged into the port.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

Mike Clay wrote:Been that way forever. They can only read certain things if you have a gauge plugged into the port.
OnStar is telling me I have to "UNPLUG" my Scan Gauge from the diagnostic port.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

You still get oil, mileage and maintenance schedule. Onstar services still work and in my case with the new truck when it threw a code I have a gauge that told me what it was plus pushed the button for onstar and they could see it. Been running a gauge in both my 08 and 2011 trucks in the port.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

snoking

Post by snoking »

The diagnostic buss is most likely "busy" talking to the your scan device, so they can not talk to it with the On-Star system.

Another thing about On-Star is that it is a good hands free cell phone system. If you buy more minutes each year just before the current minutes expire, then it rolls over the existing minutes. Cell plan covers US and Canada, A! Newer vehicles most likely bluetooth to your cell phone, so maybe that is not a big deal! Where's Chief?

Chris
Last edited by snoking on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Well when they try to scan mine its at night with the truck off and the gauge off so I still dont understand why they can see everything. With the Onstar app on my iphone I can see fuel level, gallons left oil filter usage average mpg plus can on lock doors start truck sound horn and some other items. Now they may send out a ping waiting for your truck to be running @-)
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Post by EAW »

snoking wrote:Another thing about On-Star is that it is a good hands free cell phone system. If you buy more minutes each year just before the current minutes expire, then it rolls over the existing minutes.Chris
It was a good hands free system. They would send reminders for subscription renewals monthly even though I had it set up to automatically renew with credit card but would not send reminders about minutes expiring. After stealing my minutes twice I told them to stuff the whole thing. I'm also not sure I want my vehicle ratting me out if get in an accident while going a little fast for the speed limit. Just my opinion but I think On Star should be an option on vehicles instead of paying for something that won't get used because of it being in the base price. I love my GMC but I won't even push the blue button for a chance to win a new one.

Sorry about the soap box rant.
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

EAW wrote:
snoking wrote:Another thing about On-Star is that it is a good hands free cell phone system. If you buy more minutes each year just before the current minutes expire, then it rolls over the existing minutes.Chris
It was a good hands free system. They would send reminders for subscription renewals monthly even though I had it set up to automatically renew with credit card but would not send reminders about minutes expiring. After stealing my minutes twice I told them to stuff the whole thing. I'm also not sure I want my vehicle ratting me out if get in an accident while going a little fast for the speed limit. Just my opinion but I think On Star should be an option on vehicles instead of paying for something that won't get used because of it being in the base price. I love my GMC but I won't even push the blue button for a chance to win a new one.

Sorry about the soap box rant.
I feel your pain. All new vehicles sold after June 2011 will have black boxes.