Choosing sides

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Travelers

Choosing sides

Post by Travelers »

A Cummins Ford?

Gets 17 mpg towing a 12k tag.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: Choosing sides

Post by Chief409 »

I have a Bronco I'd like to put a Cummings in. The thought of dealing with the CA authorities is more daunting then the project! :(
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

A cummins? Put a Detroit Diesel in it! Not much RPM but it would climb a wall towing 50,000 lbs if you could get traction! :ymcowboy:
Not practical though as it would bottom the suspension & pop the tires. =))
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

campswithcritters wrote:A cummins? Put a Detroit Diesel in it! Not much RPM but it would climb a wall towing 50,000 lbs if you could get traction! :ymcowboy:
Not practical though as it would bottom the suspension & pop the tires. =))
A interesting idea ...
Custom frame, F550 axles, suspension and running gear, 1 1/2 tons of ballast on the rear, with the wheel flares from a '85 dually, with the hood, radiator, and grill from a Pete. And DEFINENTLY AirRide seats! And STACKS! Would that be a PeterBronc? =)) =))
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
snoking

Post by snoking »

Looks under valved to me! Chris
campswithcritters
exempt member

Jeff, Make sure to use 6 or 8 inch stovepipe stacks as they look really cool. Just tell the CA authorities you down-sized to a 6 cylinder! :ymdevil:
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

I wonder what the MPG would be?
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
campswithcritters
exempt member

Chief409 wrote:I wonder what the MPG would be?
9.42 mpg at a weight of 21,000 lbs, 7.82 at 46,000 lbs would be a wild guess (ok an educated one) with 3'57 gears running a 10 spd ultrashift transmission. But that is with dirty filters, I'll get you some more accurate numbers in September. :ymcowboy:
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

So question Bruce why did they leave dirty filters in the truck when you bought it?
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
dieselfreak21
Cardinal Owners: 2003 Cardinal 32 LX

Post by dieselfreak21 »

The perfect truck to me. Can't be the ol 12v for fuel mileage.
TV:2003 Ram 2500 QC/LB 4x4 Cummins Powered 5 SPD Hand Shaker. TV MODS: 60 hp injectors, TST, Dual Disk Clutch, Chrome Stacks, Ride Rite Bags, B&W TOB and Companion and 500 hp.
RV:2003 32' Cardinal 32LX rolling on Eagle alloys and Hankook F19's
snoking

Post by snoking »

dieselfreak21 wrote:The perfect truck to me. Can't be the ol 12v for fuel mileage.
How you get a 5sp in a 2003 truck? BTW 12V are under valved, besides that they are to quiet. =)) =)) =)) Being an old Cummins guy, you got that one.

Chris
campswithcritters
exempt member

Mike Clay wrote:So question Bruce why did they leave dirty filters in the truck when you bought it?
When you buy a truck with half a million miles for a great price, you gotta expect it to cost a bit soon. Fort Worth Freightliner was supposed to do a PM on it, but obviously did not. My middle man buys a lot of trucks from them so he is on their butt right now for skipping this one, we'll see what happens. Not discouraged though, only cost me $600 to do every fluid & filter on the truck and plug into the computer to re-tune a bit & remove the road speed governor that was set at 70 mph. MPG numbers should rise significantly with the air filters and re-tune according to the Detroit place I took it to. He claims I will be real close to 10 mpg at 46,000 lbs now, still set to 455 hp on a 515 hp motor and upped it from 1550 ft/lbs to 1650 ft/lbs which he claims will reduce downshifts and keep the revs low on a 14 liter engine reducing fuel used. He gave me a few tips on using the trans in manual mode to skip gears accelerating on the flats when I don't need all 10.
Torben

Post by Torben »

Bruce it sound to me , that you almost need a pilots license to drive your new tow vehicle =)) all kidding aside, it sound like it's turning out to be quite the truck and it's going serve your needs :thumbrt: You and Sharon have a great time in your travels :d
dieselfreak21
Cardinal Owners: 2003 Cardinal 32 LX

Post by dieselfreak21 »

snoking wrote:
dieselfreak21 wrote:The perfect truck to me. Can't be the ol 12v for fuel mileage.
How you get a 5sp in a 2003 truck? BTW 12V are under valved, besides that they are to quiet. =)) =)) =)) Being an old Cummins guy, you got that one.

Chris
If you got the SO 250 hp model it came with the 5 speed. Since I new I was modding it i couldn't see spending the extra $1500 for 45 more hp and an extra gear that didn't get me any better final drive ratio. Other than the 5th gear issue on them (dodge never really fixed it like they claimed) the 5 speed is bullet proof tranny. When 5th gear broke the 2nd time i went with a better main shaft design and had the bearing and sycnro's replace while they were out, but looking over them and the mechanic that works on them regulary said they still have alot of life and probably didn't need replaced, but figured cheap insurance.

When my cardinal was pulled with a freightliner a cab over with a M11 and eaton 10 speed, it would average about 8-10 mpg depending on wind and grade grossing 28k.

Is the detroit marking it terriotory yet?
TV:2003 Ram 2500 QC/LB 4x4 Cummins Powered 5 SPD Hand Shaker. TV MODS: 60 hp injectors, TST, Dual Disk Clutch, Chrome Stacks, Ride Rite Bags, B&W TOB and Companion and 500 hp.
RV:2003 32' Cardinal 32LX rolling on Eagle alloys and Hankook F19's
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

dieselfreak21 wrote:
snoking wrote:

Chris
Is the detroit marking it terriotory yet?

When we had the Ole Detroit's at the Fire Dept, they would most def. "Mark "their territory =)) =))