A first look at the 2012 Super Duty

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: A first look at the 2012 Super Duty

Post by Mike Clay »

Those fords :thumbrt:

=))
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Mike Clay wrote:Those fords :thumbrt:

=))
Yepper! In my business, Telecom, with remote sites all over the Mojave Desert, often with no cell coverage (or Railroad Radio), a 15, 20 mile walk out in 120 degree heat in the summer if you break down, you can understand why I'm picky about my trucks and tires. :thumbrt:

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:Yeah Rob, there might be a new truck coming. When are we gonna hear about yours? =)) =)) =))
I knew it! :thumbrt:

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, who doesn't want a new truck? The problem is I keep seeing the price and if you know me at all my enthusiasm quickly fades away. Then when I'm cruising down the road with the trailer in tow my enthusiasm for a newer truck really fades away. :d

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

dfredendall wrote:I have seen on Ford literature that they have discontinued the 6.8 ltr V-10 engine. Now offer only the new diesel and a large V8 engine (approx 371 cu. in.).
I believe that is just in the F250 and F350. I believe the V10 is still available in the F450 and up.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
Chief409 wrote:Yeah Rob, there might be a new truck coming. When are we gonna hear about yours? =)) =)) =))
I knew it! :thumbrt:

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, who doesn't want a new truck? The problem is I keep seeing the price and if you know me at all my enthusiasm quickly fades away. Then when I'm cruising down the road with the trailer in tow my enthusiasm for a newer truck really fades away. :d

Rob
Till you get to the top of that REALLY LONG GRIND up a high pass, with a headwind, and look at the gas gauge, then you really get interested in the next available gas! Had a V10, been there, done THAT! :wink:

With the price of gas and diesel now, a 2 or 3 MPG improvement adds up to some impressive savings over, say, 20,000 miles (which is why I'm looking, by the way. I was shocked when I ran the numbers). Not to mention the sheer joy of passing stop after stop you used to make! Stops become more of a human factor thing, like bladder time! :-o
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
snoking

Post by snoking »

Mike Clay wrote:Those fords :thumbrt:
=))
Mike, I thought the only image of those new Fords that you see is a mirror image! =)) =)) =)) :)) =)) =)) =))

Chris
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:With the price of gas and diesel now, a 2 or 3 MPG improvement adds up to some impressive savings over, say, 20,000 miles (which is why I'm looking, by the way. I was shocked when I ran the numbers)
I would like to see those numbers Jeff. For me to spend $50K+ for a new truck to get me to the same places my current truck gets me would take some serious numbers. And remember we're retired. We just cruise down the road at 60 MPH and enjoying the sights. OK, I did have to slow down to 50 going over Lookout Pass. But how much of the trip is that? Maybe a half hour.

But keep trying Jeff as you never know when I might just pull the trigger. :d

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Well true Chris but I have been labeled a trouble maker can you believe it :d so I just sit here and keep my mouth shut =)) In your dreams. After 5 Dodges and 2 Chevys i doubt I would get a Ford but that does not mean i think they are a bad truck. Maybe my next truck will be a Ford :^o
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Mike, I have a 2011 Ford SD DVD I can mail you. Would that help? :)) :)) :))
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Now Rob you know and I know you will not get a new truck or trailer, :d both of your rigs are in great shape. :thumbrt:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

LOL maybe next year
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
Chief409 wrote:With the price of gas and diesel now, a 2 or 3 MPG improvement adds up to some impressive savings over, say, 20,000 miles (which is why I'm looking, by the way. I was shocked when I ran the numbers)
I would like to see those numbers Jeff. For me to spend $50K+ for a new truck to get me to the same places my current truck gets me would take some serious numbers. And remember we're retired. We just cruise down the road at 60 MPH and enjoying the sights. OK, I did have to slow down to 50 going over Lookout Pass. But how much of the trip is that? Maybe a half hour.

But keep trying Jeff as you never know when I might just pull the trigger. :d

Rob
Easy numbers Rob. 20,000 miles, your current MPG, and a ball park, your best guess for the future price per gallon. Then run the same figures with a increase of MPG.

Note, I'm not even factoring in maintenance for higher mileage vehicles. Tires, brakes, etc. Or tax breaks for a new vehicle. Just fuel.

With the current and future prices of fuel, an increase of a couple of MPG over 20K miles adds up. A bunch.

Jeff

PS: It ALL depends on Washington D.C. though. Can't buy anything if a good chunk of my income (Military Retirement) isn't there.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
snoking

Post by snoking »

My financial advisor says the cheapest vehicle you will ever own is the one you already own. Chris
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

snoking wrote:My financial advisor says the cheapest vehicle you will ever own is the one you already own. Chris
Chris, your financial advisor doesn't own a 1985 5.8 Bronco, with a completely rebuilt engine, that can't pass a California smog inspection because the $850 Factory reman Holly carb has the wrong part number on the throttle body. Plus it has 4 Goodrich All Terrain tires with less then 500 miles on them. Yeah, I know old vehicles, I've had the Bronco since 1986, bought it from my Navigator after he got married and couldn't make the payments! :)

I'm considering making it a planter, with a bronze plaque celebrating the sheer stupidity of California bureaucrats! X(

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Chief409 wrote:a 1985 5.8 Bronco, with a completely rebuilt engine, that can't pass a California smog inspection because the $850 Factory reman Holly carb has the wrong part number on the throttle body. Plus it has 4 Goodrich All Terrain tires with less then 500 miles on them. Yeah, I know old vehicles, I've had the Bronco since 1986, bought it from my Navigator after he got married and couldn't make the payments! :)

I'm considering making it a planter, with a bronze plaque celebrating the sheer stupidity of California bureaucrats! X(

Jeff
I have a friend who's looking for a Bronco II.