Dodge Recall

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

ski boy
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS 38/39 RL3

Dodge Recall

Post by ski boy »

Apparently Chrysler has announced to the media that they are recalling a quarter million trucks to fix a front end ball joint that might fail...called the dealership this morning and they said that they have heard nothing from Chrysler. I guess they tell the media first and then let the dealers and owners know. The service manager was angry because the phone is ringing constantly and they have no info. Anybody know the status of this recall?
2009 Americana GS 38/39
08 Dodge 3500 Dually, Stick, K&N Intake, South Bend clutch kit, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, 20K Star Performance Hitch
R & D

Re: Dodge Recall

Post by R & D »

I googled it....appears to be true

Chrysler recalls 286,000 pickup trucks

By Bernie Woodall | Reuters – Wed, Jul 13, 2011tweet15EmailPrintRelated ContentChrysler LLC auto assembly worker Mildred McWilliams rubs out a scuff on the back …
DETROIT (Reuters) - Chrysler Group LLC will recall about 286,000 Dodge Ram pickup trucks because of potential problems with tie rod assemblies that may increase the risk of a crash, the automaker and U.S. safety regulators said on Wednesday.

To be recalled are 2008-2011 Ram 2500 and 3500 4x4 models; 2008-2011 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis 4x2 models; 2008 Ram 1500 Mega Cab 4x4 models; and 2003-2008 Ram 2500 and 3500 models, according to a filing with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

About 243,000 of the recalled trucks are in the United States. Of those, about 74,000 have already received service on the tie rod assembly, the NHTSA filing said.

Also, about 35,000 pickups in Canada will be recalled as well as some 2,750 in Mexico and 5,700 in other countries.

A Chrysler spokesman said there have been a few crashes and at least one minor injury as a result of the issue.

The vehicles "may experience a fracture of the left tie rod stud," Chrysler told the NHTSA. "This condition tends to occur during low-speed parking lot type maneuvers when the (driver) is making a left turn."

This may result in the "loss of directional stability" in the left front wheel, increasing the risk of a crash, Chrysler said.

Chrysler said the risk is highest when making a sharp, 90-degree turn.

Chrysler has not yet determined when customers will get letters alerting them to the recall.

Chrysler is part-owned and managed by Fiat SpA.

(Reporting by Bernie Woodall
ski boy
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS 38/39 RL3

Post by ski boy »

I'm just going to avoid all left turns until I get it fixed. My new GPS unit should be able to help with route planning.
2009 Americana GS 38/39
08 Dodge 3500 Dually, Stick, K&N Intake, South Bend clutch kit, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, 20K Star Performance Hitch
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

=)) =)) =)) =)) I guess enough right turns = a left turn when done right
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
R & D

Post by R & D »

Millie Millie Millie :ymapplause:
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

ski boy wrote:Apparently Chrysler has announced to the media that they are recalling a quarter million trucks to fix a front end ball joint that might fail...called the dealership this morning and they said that they have heard nothing from Chrysler. I guess they tell the media first and then let the dealers and owners know. The service manager was angry because the phone is ringing constantly and they have no info. Anybody know the status of this recall?
Call the local paper, maybe they know :D
snoking

Post by snoking »

People over on the Turbo Diesel Register have know about the ball joint breaking for a while now.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/foru ... e-rod.html
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/foru ... d-end.html

Chris
Cowtown

Post by Cowtown »

I called my dealer and they have not gotten the official word yet, but the service guy did know about it.
He said he would call me to set up an appointment when they get the bulletin.
jayandflorobin
Cardinal Owners: 34QRL fifth wheel

Post by jayandflorobin »

Called our dealer and they haven't gotten anything from corporate yet and will call when they do.....
Jay, Flo and Bitsie and Mitsie our little Chi girls...-34QRL fifth wheel
2010 Dodge Ram Diesel
dieselfreak21
Cardinal Owners: 2003 Cardinal 32 LX

Post by dieselfreak21 »

Lovely. Now if I can just get the bird off of it to get it in. Although I would rather a dealer not touch my truck since the like the flash the ECM with updates when not asked.
TV:2003 Ram 2500 QC/LB 4x4 Cummins Powered 5 SPD Hand Shaker. TV MODS: 60 hp injectors, TST, Dual Disk Clutch, Chrome Stacks, Ride Rite Bags, B&W TOB and Companion and 500 hp.
RV:2003 32' Cardinal 32LX rolling on Eagle alloys and Hankook F19's