towing to rushmore

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Re: towing to rushmore

Post by WVcampers »

If you always drive Fords you will have problems with Fords. Same goes with the other brands. I am a Ford fan that has bought a '05 Chevy and a '08 Dodge all of them diesels. I kept them about 2 years each and went back to the Fords. I did not have any trouble with either of them, they just wern't Fords. Most of us are loyal to one brand. Probably instilled in us from our early days. I always had Mustangs so when I bought my first truck it had to be a Ford. My friend just bought a 2011 Ford. This is the first truck that he has owned that is not a Chevy. I tried to talk him into another Chevy or GMC even though I am a Ford man. The truck he traded was a 03 Chevy Duramax that he bought new, so he doesn't trade often. He is already making comments like "I hope I'm not going to be sorry". It will be interesting to see how long he keeps this Ford.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Flintstones

Post by Flintstones »

I too, have always bought Fords. I had one Chevy, a 1986 with the dual gas tanks with fills on both sides of the truck and had nothing but problems so I traded it for a 1987 Ford F-150 Lariat.

Since we started camping in 2001, I have had a 1999 F-250 XLT Super Cab w/ 5.4 Triton V-8, a 2004 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab w/ 6.8 Triton V-10, a 2008 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab w/ 6.4 Diesel, and presently a 2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab w/ 6.7 Diesel. They keep getting better and better. Nothing against the new Chevy/GMC trucks, I think they are really nice, but I prefer Fords.
Illona Lucas
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2008 35 ft SB

Post by Illona Lucas »

Can one of you guys tell me what Regen means I have a ford f 350 deisel and Bud nor I have ever heard this term before.

Thanks
Illona
Bud and Illona
2008 35SB W/Trailair
Six Point Level Up System
2006 Ford F350 Diesel Crew Cab
Air Lift 5000 Air Bags
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

urs is older, it does not go into regen...but its a way the truck "cleans" itself out basically by lighting the soot canister on fire with extra fuel and burning it out....thats why you see the strange exhaust tips on the newer ones that let air in about a foot from the end to cool the exit temp so you dont melt the plastic car next to you :d
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

bigbunkhouse wrote:urs is older, it does not go into regen...but its a way the truck "cleans" itself out basically by lighting the soot canister on fire with extra fuel and burning it out....thats why you see the strange exhaust tips on the newer ones that let air in about a foot from the end to cool the exit temp so you dont melt the plastic car next to you :d
or the hair on your leg while unloading the bed with the engine running.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Illona Lucas wrote:Can one of you guys tell me what Regen means I have a ford f 350 deisel and Bud nor I have ever heard this term before.

Thanks
Illona
I think it started with the 2008 models, at least with Ford.
I've never noticed any real difference in performance, except the "Regen in progress" notice on the dash info panel. After I got used to it, I have mostly quit paying attention to it. But it still bugs some people.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well mine is running well but got a recall from GM saying I did not go in and get a reflash done for the DEF heating. Ummm yes I did but I guess the dealership in South Dakota did not log it with GM. So off to my local dealer today to have them verify it and send it off to GM, also there is rumor of ANOTHER flash to help with the frequent regens some are having. With the cooler weather mine went from every 280 miles (not towing) to 400 miles but will have them look into the flash and see what it really is for. While towing it causes a passive regen and I get about 780 miles between regens,
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Parno
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal a 29WB, 5th Wheel. 3 weeks later a 2008 Dodge Quad Cab with Smoke Motor.
3000 Boliy Generator, 500 watts of solar
1000w Invertor, 2 Golfcart T-105 batteries, Bogart 2025 Charge indicator
Moryde ISR suspension (Best thing we;ve done!)

Post by Parno »

We were in the Black Hills in August, very nice.

We did notice the hills, no problem with power of brakes.

After 200Kmi on my old Powerstroke, I'm loving our Dodge.

Presently in Connecticut, right after the holidays, we are going to Alaska, Via Mexico!
Peter & Anne-Marie Arnold
Member of Escapee's
National Camping Travelers, A Masonic Camping Group
2005 Cardinal
2008 Dodge RAM W/Smoke Motor
Somewhere, Texas