towing to rushmore

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

towing to rushmore

Post by Mike Clay »

Well the regen problem I have is not a problem when the trailer is hooked up. Was regaining every 280 miles then yesterday it went into regen at 613 miles towing. Getting 10.8 mpg which is not bad considering all the mountains we have had to go over. Was nice having the extra fuel, went from Portland to Missoula and still had 36 gallons left when I filled up. :thumbrt:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: towing to rushmore

Post by Chief409 »

Funny thing isn't it Mike, when you stop for fuel with what used to be a FULL tank left! B-)

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I've noticed during this trip we haven't had any dollar limits imposed at the pumps. Last year it wasn't unusual to have the gas pumps stop at $50 or $75. This year every fill-up has been more that more that $75, max has been $96, without having to reset the pump.

Rob
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

I get stopped at $125 at some pumps, $100 at some and $75 at others.
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

Mike Clay wrote:Well the regen problem I have is not a problem when the trailer is hooked up. Was regaining every 280 miles then yesterday it went into regen at 613 miles towing. Getting 10.8 mpg which is not bad considering all the mountains we have had to go over. Was nice having the extra fuel, went from Portland to Missoula and still had 36 gallons left when I filled up. :thumbrt:
Last year, when I was having regen issues, one dealer told me to drop the trailer and drive. Another told me to keep the trailer hooked up and drive. I would think the engine would run hotter and require less regen with heavy load as your experience seems to indicate.
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

rlhedlund wrote:
Mike Clay wrote:Well the regen problem I have is not a problem when the trailer is hooked up. Was regaining every 280 miles then yesterday it went into regen at 613 miles towing. Getting 10.8 mpg which is not bad considering all the mountains we have had to go over. Was nice having the extra fuel, went from Portland to Missoula and still had 36 gallons left when I filled up. :thumbrt:
Last year, when I was having regen issues, one dealer told me to drop the trailer and drive. Another told me to keep the trailer hooked up and drive. I would think the engine would run hotter and require less regen with heavy load as your experience seems to indicate.
Less regens towing, after a run up and over the hills cleaning out the soot, has been my experience. Mike, you're MPG is beating mine by about 1.3 MPG towing in the same circumstances. What speed are you towing at?

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Chief409 wrote:
rlhedlund wrote:
Less regens towing, after a run up and over the hills cleaning out the soot, has been my experience. Mike, you're MPG is beating mine by about 1.3 MPG towing in the same circumstances. What speed are you towing at?

Jeff

Ahhhhh, I think Mike has one speed...Full Throttle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)) =)) He is soooooo active, in many ways !!!!! :d
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

I filled my tank before I left and will refill.at Hill City. Then I'll divide the miles by the gallons used and use that average. I don't have a way to detect if its regenerating or not.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

:d 65 mph with the cruise on most of the time except some of the passes. Was on one today thought we might run into the space station. It was steeper then going over the Rockies.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote::d 65 mph with the cruise on most of the time except some of the passes. Was on one today thought we might run into the space station. It was steeper then going over the Rockies.
What pass was that? :?

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Well after all of the thunderstorm and hail fun was over my truck thought it would throw a code and the check engine light came on. I could read the code and knew what it was since the dealer was suppose to fix it. Called Onstar and they verified that it had to do with the urea injection pressure and said I should be fine until I got home. I also called my dealer who knew less so I cleared the code and will watch it today :evil:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

rlhedlund wrote:I get stopped at $125 at some pumps, $100 at some and $75 at others.
That may be the difference in that they imposed a higher limit. I haven't hit the $100 mark yet.

Rob
bayoubengal
Cardinal Owners: 2008 31RKLE

Post by bayoubengal »

In the past two weeks I've been stopped at $75, $95 & $100. The $95 one was really a head scratcher.
Vince & Kim
2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ, SRW, D/A, Extended Cab, LB
2008 31RKLE
Nights Camped:
'02--74 '06--122 '10--24
'03--59 '07--47 '11--44
'04--83 '08--98 '12--76
'05--99 '09--84
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Well truck is in the shop and I am driving around in a red roller skate. Was in the middle of Custer star park and all heck broke loose with it throwing codes for the urea system. Dealer called and said they found the problem flashed the computer in the truck see you in the morning :d Got a call an hour later and they told me not to come in the morning that now it won't run :shock:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Murphy sure has been after you this year. Keep us updated.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret