towing to rushmore

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Rob & Cathy

Re: towing to rushmore

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:Ok thats all I'm going to say "ok"
:shock:

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:I'm fond of trucks that "just work".
I hear that Jeff. :thumbrt:

I can't afford a new truck every 3-4 years. I prefer every 8-10 years.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well in my lifetime I have owned Fords, Toyotas, several Dodges two Chevys, ALL have had a problem at one point. So to say your FORDS are not going to break down for 8 years is really quite optimistic. =)) In 8 years if your truck never has a problem I will buy a Ford and Rob let me know if you ever make it to the 50 k mark on yours. You guys crack me up.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

My dad owned trucks, both fords and chevies. I have had both fords and chevies. I've got both fords and chevies at work, up to a F-800. My only experience with Dodge (other than one mini van) is second hand through friends and family. All have troubles, all have warranty issues. Gasser, diesel and tranny issues. I would say all have a better record today than ten years ago.

I swore twenty plus years ago never, ever to buy anothernew GM product after owning a Celebrity wagon with front brake issues. I broke only when it came time to buy my 3500HD almost 4 years ago. I still have no respect for GM customer service after experiencing the turbo vane position sensor issue last year out west. But I do say, I like my truck!
teallen
Cardinal Owners: 2012 3030
Skype ID: thomas.allen511

Post by teallen »

Mike Clay wrote:Well in my lifetime I have owned Fords, Toyotas, several Dodges two Chevys, ALL have had a problem at one point. So to say your FORDS are not going to break down for 8 years is really quite optimistic. =)) In 8 years if your truck never has a problem I will buy a Ford and Rob let me know if you ever make it to the 50 k mark on yours. You guys crack me up.

You are right Mike, sooner or later something is going to happen.
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2018 RAM 3500
9 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2019 Camping Days- 7
Camping Days - 2011 - 90, 2012 - 144, 2013 - 130, 2014 - 130, 2015 - 107
Torben

Post by Torben »

I have always owned Chevy's, all the way from my first car, a 56 Chevy Bel-Air 2 door to my present 08 Chevy Duramax, 08 Corvette"Orange Rocket" and my wife's Chevy Equinox :d . I would have a tough time buying anything else. As a side note, I have never had any problem with service or warranty items from GM. :d and their roadside assistance is great, we have used it :thumbrt: :thumbrt:
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

All in fun guys!

As far a quality issues, I agree that over the last 20 years we've experienced a "Quantum" leap there. I've had a Dodge, a Toy, several Chevy's and Ford's over the years. But the late '90's to around 2010 GM trucks had numerous problems, engine, body and frame. Ford always seemed to lack something in the engine and drive train. BUT, since Ford came out with the 6.4 diesel, and now the 6.7 diesel, and GM FINALLY put a frame on their 3/4 ton and up trucks, it's neck to neck. I can't drive a GM for long, the seating position kills my lower back, the Ford SD with seats that let me place my feet flat on the floor with my legs supported is just better - for me. And my teen age grandkids love all the room in the back seat of the Crew Cab, plus even my Die Hard GM fanatic buddy can't fault Bubba's ride quality!

Now if I could order the grill in "LIPSTICK RED" I'd be set. =))

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Ewwww Im kind of sorry I found that picture :ymsick: Well bottom line there all good and they all have problems from time to time, I can't sit in the Dodge seats kills my legs but the Chevy is fine for me. Different strokes for different folks. :d
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

teallen
Cardinal Owners: 2012 3030
Skype ID: thomas.allen511

Post by teallen »

Mike Clay wrote: Different strokes for different folks. :d

Hey Mike, you meant "different power strokes for different folks", right? :)) :))
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2018 RAM 3500
9 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2019 Camping Days- 7
Camping Days - 2011 - 90, 2012 - 144, 2013 - 130, 2014 - 130, 2015 - 107
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

teallen wrote:
Mike Clay wrote: Different strokes for different folks. :d

Hey Mike, you meant "different power strokes for different folks", right? :)) :))
=))
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

well i gotta finally chime in on this one....my 99 f250 sd has 230k on it , tows a work trailer almost everyday since we stopped pulling the old 5er....it has the original evrything short of battery ball joints and brakes. i put a plow on it at 175k ish and it has never broken down or left me stranded or been back to the dealer. The worst thing that happened was the passenger power door lock doesnt always work. It has been coast to coast round trip twice i change the oil and add fuel when the light comes on, i grease the joints and check the tirepressure, sometimes i even wash it....the 350 dually we tow the 5er with is a 99 but just hit 80k,and that one blew a speed sensor while we were towing, autozone, 20 minutes and a 12mm wrench and we were back out, does that count as a "problem"

I agree though, they all will have good and bad days and good and bad points. they are all mechanical and the technology moves so fast there is barely time to test b4 it is outa date. I love that we all may not be able to agree on the truck but we can all agree on the trailer :thumbrt:
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:ALL have had a problem at one point. So to say your FORDS are not going to break down for 8 years is really quite optimistic. =))
It's not a matter of breaking down, though I've never had any of my trucks leave me stranded, it's just a matter of getting my monies worth. It's true that currently I only have 34K on the truck but 30K+ is towing the trailer. There is something to be said for 6 years of trouble free operation no matter the miles. :thumbrt:

Rob
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

I kmow guys who have had their trucks in the shop more than they drive em of all the big 3 and i know guys who have never had one problem with each of the big 3 also! none are actually better than the other....its the luck of the draw I guess! but like rob said....to never have been left stranded is such a great feeling and worth the money :thumbrt:
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

When I was in SAC during the Cold War I worked on B52s. We had some that were "hanger queens" and some that had so few problems they were analyzed to determine why they had so few problems. Go figure.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Everything is built to +/- tolerance's. Sometimes things are built in tolerance, but every component is at the ragged edge of being in tolerance, put it all together - it's a POS that will drive you bat sh--! Everything works great when tested by itself, or in another aircraft or vehicle, put the component back in the "hanger queen" and it's a NO GO. All the "just in limits" put together equals system failure. We used to run into this on occasion, until they came up with built in tests and monitoring which "threw a code".

Still have to have techs and mechs who understand how everything works though, because sometimes the code indicates something like a throttle body failure. OK change the throttle body. Truck comes back in, same code, same symptoms within two weeks, "OH the new throttle body was defective". Throttle body #2 is installed and the truck gets less then 10 miles down the road. Service Dept is going to change ANOTHER throttle body (#3) becuase that is what the code indicates as a failure, again, but the customer (ME) says WHOA THERE! So the Service Dept calls the Engineers, who say Defective Computer. The problem is now fixed. I won't go to that Service Department again. But they did pick up the rental car cost, except the third time, because my boss had me go to Hertz and rent a truck till mine was fixed.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.