Report Card - 2nd trip

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Travelers

Report Card - 2nd trip

Post by Travelers »

2nd long trip with the GMC.
3148 miles - driveway to rally and back to the driveway
291 gallons used
10.81 MPG average for trip. :thumbrt:
5 qts of DEF to Rally
4 qts of DEF - returning to home

Driveability - A (easy to fall asleep just ask Diann)
Pulling power - A++ (scary)
Comfort - A+ (drive all day and arrive in a good mood) :thumbrt:

We are both happy with the truck. :ymhug:
dieselfreak21
Cardinal Owners: 2003 Cardinal 32 LX

Re: Report Card - 2nd trip

Post by dieselfreak21 »

other than the DEF great report. really can't beat that fuel mileage with all the wasted fuel these "green" trucks use.
TV:2003 Ram 2500 QC/LB 4x4 Cummins Powered 5 SPD Hand Shaker. TV MODS: 60 hp injectors, TST, Dual Disk Clutch, Chrome Stacks, Ride Rite Bags, B&W TOB and Companion and 500 hp.
RV:2003 32' Cardinal 32LX rolling on Eagle alloys and Hankook F19's
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

I'm willing to bet a smarter driver could get another 1 MPG.
The entrance ramp to the freeway says Merge. I view that as aggressive takeover. :d
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

John, it sounds like you have two really good trips on the new truck now.
I hope I do not have a Friday or Monday built truck and can get trouble free perfomance with my new GMC, I sure love the power, performance and everyday ride of my new truck.
I will need to raise my hitch a couple inches, I have come very close to hitting the bed rails while parking.
The trailer may ride a little higher in the front as it did with the GMC Topkick
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Im getting about the same mileage John, in the 1,400 getting to the rally I used 1 1/2 gallon of DEF. Don't know how much I have used so far with the new pump. We are right at the 2,800 mile mark and still have a ways to go to get home. I will be taking my truck into the dealer to have them check out the job on the tank and change oil plus refill the DEF. We are still at 6,700 feet so my mileage should get a little better heading down the other side :d
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
bayoubengal
Cardinal Owners: 2008 31RKLE

Post by bayoubengal »

George, I've read on dieselplace.com that some folks have installed 2" drop shackles on the new body style trucks in order to get more clearance without causing the rig to ride nose high. Something you may want to consider.
Vince & Kim
2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ, SRW, D/A, Extended Cab, LB
2008 31RKLE
Nights Camped:
'02--74 '06--122 '10--24
'03--59 '07--47 '11--44
'04--83 '08--98 '12--76
'05--99 '09--84
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

George, have you posted any pictures of the new truck yet, or did I miss 'em. :wink:

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Samsbird
Cardinal Owners: 35 sbqle fifth wheel
Skype ID: yes

Post by Samsbird »

Jeff, did you buy that new super duty yet, I too am toying with the idea. Today I asked the dealer to price one out that he has on the lot. I still haven't taken one out for a test drive.
Randall
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
2012 F350 SRW King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
1969 (428 Super Cobra Jet Mach 1)
1970 (Boss 302)
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Samsbird wrote:Jeff, did you buy that new super duty yet,
I was wondering the same thing. 8)

Rob
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

No thanks, I will not add or remove any parts on this truck. They have these new trucks knowing what type of underwear you are wearing, change one item and another problem will come up.
I use a plug in fuse tap to run my 5th wheel cameras, within two minutes the truck displayed unauthorized power distribution use on the dash information panel.
I removed the fuse tap as fast as my fingers could move, contacted GM engineering and they said three major computer boxes communicate to each other and the positive side of the 2011 systems now stay energized and use a relay circle ground system to operate all electronics.
In other words they do not want you adding any after market devises to the system or it will kick out a code. Now days you better have a company that engineer the product you install to work on the power source.
One or two inches high on the trailer is better then changing the factory suspension that could then change the angle of the drive shaft or who knows what.

Stock for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Olbird wrote:I use a plug in fuse tap to run my 5th wheel cameras, within two minutes the truck displayed unauthorized power distribution use on the dash information panel.
Sounds like you could use some up-fitter switches. :d

Rob
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

That is a good option that Ford has from the factory, my Ford had them and it allowed you different amp rating at each switch.
I am told by GM engineers that GM does offers a harness that can be purchased but there is not much information out there and dealers are not really aware of this addition conniption, I am working to get more information and part numbers for this plug in harness now.
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Have you tried tapping into a power port wire? I can't see the difference from plugging something into the power port or tapping into the wire of the power port.

Rob
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Power ports are not switched controled, so your accessory will be powered all the time until the truck power monitoring system determines a draw is found on the system just as leaving lights on.
Then the system will shutdown all power to the truck, I do not think I would want the back up power draw system to work as on / off switch for my assessories.

This thing tells me when the back window is open, hood is open, come on are we that dumb and lazy that we need all this information.

GM engineering told me they can tell you how many different drivers the truck has and show a pattern of their driving habits. Put that together with ONSTAR that knows the trucks location all the time and I call that BIG BROTHER WATCHING ME.
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW
bayoubengal
Cardinal Owners: 2008 31RKLE

Post by bayoubengal »

[quote="Olbird"]No thanks, I will not add or remove any parts on this truck.

My opinion as well. I just thought I would run it by you to get yours.
Thanks, Vince
Vince & Kim
2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ, SRW, D/A, Extended Cab, LB
2008 31RKLE
Nights Camped:
'02--74 '06--122 '10--24
'03--59 '07--47 '11--44
'04--83 '08--98 '12--76
'05--99 '09--84