Is He, or Isn't He getting a 2012

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: Is He, or Isn't He getting a 2012

Post by Chief409 »

Susanna's right. And I bet that everyone of us can point at a nick, ding or whatever and tell someone the exact date, time and place where it happened! :cry: :wink:

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Nice Jeff..and I bet you are planning some 'road trips" without the bird, to get the miles on it , already :d
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

bfast54 wrote:Nice Jeff..and I bet you are planning some 'road trips" without the bird, to get the miles on it , already :d
That I am! :D

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Congrats Jeff, you should see better fuel mileage. Are you going to transfer your fuel tank or have a new one installed.

OK, we know she has wide lips, but does see have the bright chrome lip-stick package =)) =))
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

I'll have the tank and associated equipment moved to the new truck. Transfer Flow has installers in Bakersfield and Hesperia, the distance either way is a toss, so which way I go depends on the phone conversations.

Right now, I'm waiting for a build date for the truck. Ford has gone to the "Wal Mart" inventory method, for the trucks at least. Estimated wait time is two months. So Bubba will be making another trip to the S.F. Bay next month.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Samsbird
Cardinal Owners: 35 sbqle fifth wheel
Skype ID: yes

Post by Samsbird »

Jeff, did you order a SRW and if so did you go with the 18" or 20" wheels? Also what color did you get?

Randall
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
2012 F350 SRW King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
1969 (428 Super Cobra Jet Mach 1)
1970 (Boss 302)
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Samsbird wrote:Jeff, did you order a SRW and if so did you go with the 18" or 20" wheels? Also what color did you get?

Randall
Randall, sorry for the late reply, long day all weekend at work.

Ordered the F350 Lariat FX4, DRW, CC, Long Bed, Oxford White/Pale Adobe along the bottom. Went with the Basic Sync system, so no big screen in the center stack. DO have the heated/cooled leather seats, black interior. Also the spray in bed liner, back up camera and alerter system, and The Old Man Tailgate Step, plus the 5th wheel prep package. I have the mod kit for my DrawTite Signature 18K hitch so I can install that on the Ford rails, which are Reese Elite hitch rails.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

jeff,
Just having a lttle fun here, but !!!!
Did you see the new Big Three Truck makers test results ( called heavy-duty-hurt-locker) thats a good name for the test, it hurts to own anything but a GM truck. =)) =))
GM did it again.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com ... ction.html
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

No comment on George's post. I've seen other "comparisons" or "shootouts", then I look at the advertisers and see who has the bigger ad budget! :)

One of my concerns, and why I'm getting a new truck now, instead of a couple of years from now, is the ever friendly EPA. I haven't forgotten the mess when Unleaded gas was mandated, the first couple of years of problems with Low Sulfur Diesel, and now there's Biodiesel. A 6.4 diesel is approved to B5, the 6.7 is approved to B20 - and there is this in the works, which I've been aware of for some time. I don't think Ford engines will be the only ones that will have a problem, given enough time. Note that it's Fleet owners/leasers who are protesting this.

http://www.lmtruck.com/articles/lmtbase ... newsletter

Exceeding the Biodiesel level, according to Ford, violates the engine warranty, so forget the extended care powertrain warranty I've paid for.
I have no deseire to run into another mandated PITA, and having new truck payments or engine repairs, AFTER I retire. I'll let the "hotrodders" who delete everything, run past the max and build another engine when they blow one up have all the fun.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:One of my concerns, and why I'm getting a new truck now, instead of a couple of years from now, is the ever friendly EPA.
You're right Jeff, there's no telling what's down the road for the EPA.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

2011 Chevy is B20 approved and Bio in say a B5 amount is the best thing you can put in to keep the injectors clean and put some lube back in the fuel that the low sulfur took out. Not to mention the test was not done buy GM in fact pretty interesting the GM and Ford were neck and neck on many tests. It was done by Pickups.com and Diesel Magazine.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:I have the mod kit for my DrawTite Signature 18K hitch so I can install that on the Ford rails, which are Reese Elite hitch rails.
Jeff, where did you find information on the mod kit?

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Rob,

I found the info on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum, here's the link to what I ordered.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-RP58419.html

I ordered late in the afternoon on a Friday, West coast time (the store is in Missouri), I had a confirmation email in an hour, shipping info an hour after that. Good service. :D

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

I should of phrased my first statement like this. Caps donate the changes only, I'm not shouting! :)
Chief409 wrote: I've seen other "comparisons" or "shootouts", then I look WHO THE advertisers ARE and see who has the bigger ad budget FOR THE MAGAZINE HOLDING THE COMPARISON OR SHOOTOUT! :)

A bit more, caps ARE shouting here! :wink:

"I'll let the "hotrodders" who delete everything, run past the max and build another engine when they blow one up have all the fun." Forgot to mention "been there, done that" during my drag racing days when I was single, and building an engine, even a "Big Block" Chev V8 wasn't a big deal, even in California, because I didn't need to deal with CAL EPA and their SMOG INSPECTIONS to register the car way back then. Now a "hot rod" in California is a tin import with an exhaust pipe bigger then the car, and a stereo system you can hear over a jet engine in afterburner. ;)

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well like I have said a thousand times alls I care about is getting there and back with no problems which I did not accomplish this time around. But then again many of us had problems and we all delt with them. :thumbrt: never fun to break down but it happens.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers