Ford 7.3 questions

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Big Dog

Ford 7.3 questions

Post by Big Dog »

Diesel Dave or anyone with 7.3 expertise,

I went to my local shop to inquire about putting an exhaust brake on my truck. His recommendation was for the Pac brake and also suggested I put a Diablo sport tuner and a 5 inch exhaust system on. Is this a good setup or what do you suggest?
Thanks for your help Steve
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Big Dog, No help on the other items but I can say the pac brake I have works well. Are you running an automatic or standard shift? If auto, most of them need a trans controller to keep the torque converter locked more often to make the exhaust brake more effective. Pac Brake can likely tell you if you need the controller or not and I believe their tech help number is on their website. If you do a lot of mountain travel exhaust brakes are fantastic, just remember if it gets slippery out you'll want to switch it off as only your rear truck wheels are trying to slow the entire rig, and things like that tend to lead to jack-knife situations.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

if it gets slippery out you'll want to switch it off as only your rear truck wheels are trying to slow the entire rig, and things like that tend to lead to jack-knife situations..

Good reminder, coming into the winter season we tend to forget that stuff.
My Pac Brake does wonders on the Dodge CTD, and if you put a tuner on to increase torque, bigger exhausts help keep the pre turbo temp down a little. My next step is to increase exhaust size
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan