Just had to scratch the itch!

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

rlhedlund

Re: Just had to scratch the itch!

Post by rlhedlund »

I certainly do not want to be accused of being sarcastic or starting or contributing to any truck wars. If you are happy with your truck, stay happy. If you are open to considering other brands, do so.

I was a true blue GM guy. I bought a new 07 3500 HD Duramax. It is an awesome truck. I have nothing but respect for the power it has. Pulled my 33TS out west last summer. I now have 100,000 miles. Because 0% is now available, I started looking to trade it for another 3500HD. I decided to go with a DRW in place of my SRW. My truck is an LT trim package. I looked at other LT trucks and the comparable GMC line. Started talking bottom line with one Chevy and one GMC dealer. Got my best deals.

Next door to the Chevy dealer is a Ford commercial lot. I have a business fleet of trucks, chevies and fords. Decided to stop in to price something comparable to mine with same trim line. XLT was comparable to my present truck. Sales guy had hard time finding trucks to price in 2011 models. He gets me to drive a Lariat sitting outside. I was impressed. When I got out, I went over to take a look at the sticker because it had so many bells and whistles. I got sticker shock of the opposite kind. It was 10K LESS than what I expected!!!! I had looked at GMC's in the low 60's similar to this. This one was in the low 50's.

It has a moon roof, it has sync, it has power folding heated and telescoping side mirrors, it has remote start, it has leather, it has an inverter, it has heated AND AC cooled front seats, not just the driver side. It has a built in level that shows up on the dash, it has yaw control braking, it has a dash info center that is so far beyond GM's. It has 10 way power front seats, not just driver side. It has rear, under seat storage standard, it has split rear seats, it has power sliding rear window, it has michelin tires standard, it has two tone paint, it has running boards standard, it has so much more than what I saw on a GM lot for similar money.

GM has some better points on some warranty items. GM screwed me on warranty last summer. I still remember.

GM has the proven Isuzu Duramax and Allison transmission. I am moved to go with a Ford and hope they prove me right with the 6.7 Power Stroke.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Whoa, that's a lot of features for a XLT. If you had just listed the features I would have thought Lariat or King Ranch.

Does it have the integrated brake controller? It may be standard equipment these days.

Rob
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

rlhedlund , this is just the type of information we like to hear. When you get the new truck let us know more about the performance you are receiving.
When you get it hitched up let us know top of bed to bottom of trailer clearance and how many inches the truck sets down with camper pin weight.
I have no idea why some dealers will make a better deal then others with any brand.
I shopped hard for a week and just as you said went with the best deal, my dealer offered me a $4,000 better deal on another truck from the dealer I just drove from 20 miles away that would not go down for me.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

The truck I am looking at now, is the Lariat. I started looking at the XLT because it is comparable to my Chevy LT. I moved up to the Lariat because it had some much more for so little $$$ more than the LT.
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

Yes, the Lariat has the integrated brake controller standard equipped.
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

If you are a chevy guy, take a look at all the features Ford Sync offers. You will be amazed what it is capable of. You can be at home and do a google maps route and send it to your truck.

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/fea ... e-calling/ Here is a link to the hands free calling feature.

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/features/ Here is a link to a summary of Sync features.
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

Forgot, it also has locking tailgate with lift assist, rear backup camera and memory group (seat position, mirror position, and I think temperature) for 2 different driver preferences.

It also has a tilt AND telescoping steering wheel with adjustable brake and gas pedals. Voice activated climate controls.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Sync is nice but I already get most of those features in my truck except I do like the google maps but you can do basically the same thing with onstar and google maps if you want. I would like to see a better info center in the GM products, the music part is nice my son put an after market stereo in his car that does all of that and it is nice but in my case i hardly ever turn the radio on. I did hook my iPod to it the other day just to see how it worked. :d Not a Chevy Ford thing and I would also like to hear from the Dodge owners with new trucks.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

All that Smart stuff is cool IF you have a phone with a data package. If not, I believe Ford uses Sprint.

My GMC has its own phone number thru Onstar. $250 per year.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hey John, unlike Onstar I believe Sync uses your paired cell phone for all cell communication so there is no annual charge. At least that's how it works on ours but of course things do change.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Same on the Chevy Rob but Chevy uses bluetooth. My cell phone is AT&T which does not get out everywhere so I buy minutes through Onstar which is Verizon and do to the strength of the Onstar system you get a much stronger signal then you would with your cell phone. Plus buying the minutes your truck has its own phone number. So you have a choice while making a call wether if you want the call to go out through your cell phone or through Onstar. Which in Mt Rushmore I burned through a lot of minutes talking to dealerships :( since there was not much of a signal there for anything.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:Same on the Chevy Rob but Chevy uses bluetooth.
Sync pairs your phone using bluetooth also Mike. The rub is, in addition the the power of the Onstar phone, that if your phone is not paired you don't have the 911 assist if you're in an accident and alike. Also, Sync cannot report your cars location if stolen or have your car disable like Onstar. Again, unless things have changed.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Ok you lost me. :oops: Are you saying that i can't get 911 if I'm talking on the onstar system but i need to be on my cell phone to get 911?? Not to worried if i get in a wreck Onstar knows anyway. If i see a wreck it is faster to hit the onstar emergency button since they know where I am and talk directly with the police. Plus the stolen car thing is nice since not only can they locate the vehicle (unless the bad guys tear up the onstar system) plus they can shut off the vehicle.

Another thing i did not know about onstar is you can push the phone button and say weather and it gives you weather, traffic and construction within a 5 mile radius of you. Learned that while going through the thunder storms at Mt Rushmore.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

Mike Clay wrote: Another thing i did not know about onstar is you can push the phone button and say weather and it gives you weather, traffic and construction within a 5 mile radius of you. Learned that while going through the thunder storms at Mt Rushmore.

Have had the new truck about three weeks now and everyday I find something that I didn't know it would do. These new trucks, and I'm talking about Ford and Chevy (I don't know enough about the Dodge to comment), have really been adding some useful features the last few years. Highway mileage without a trailer is running 20 to 21.5. City driving seems to be around 16.5. I won't have a chance to see what it will do with the Bird attached until next month when I plan a trip to La Fayette but, judging from what I have experianced so far, I'm expecting decent mileage and an abundance of power. The comfort level, ride, and handling are light years ahead of my '06. At this point I'm a very happy camper. Will report further after next months trip. :bounce:
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:Ok you lost me. :oops: Are you saying that i can't get 911 if I'm talking on the onstar system but i need to be on my cell phone to get 911??
No, I was describing the Sync system. With Sync if you're in an accident it will call 911 through your paired cell phone. For example if your in the vehicle that has Sync and you don't have your cell phone with you there will be no 911 assist. Where Onstar has a build in cell phone system hence annual fee.

Rob